New to The Bump

Insurance Question

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the bump, but I had great luck wedding planning with The Knot, so hopefully you ladies can help.  My husband and I want to start trying for our first baby this fall.  Our problem is insurance.  He is self employed, and I am working as a substitute teacher and looking for a full time job.  Right now we have short term insurance, but it doesn't cover maternity.  We are trying to decide between using state insurance, or buying an insurance plan to cover maternity, but I have no idea where to even look for that type of insurance.  Does anyone know of a good insurance company for people who don't have insurance through work?  Thanks so much!

Re: Insurance Question

• I don't have any suggestions for specific companies, but keep in mind that some private policies don't cover maternity costs unless you add a maternity rider.  Many of them also require the policy to be in force for a certain period of time before the pregnancy will be covered.  Make sure you talk to an agent about those kinds of details specifically before taking out the policy.

We had our own high deductible plan years ago when DH was self-employed and we had to wait a year before the pregnancy would be covered.  That's one year before getting pregnant, not one year before the baby would be due.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

med-free birth x2, breastfeeding, baby wearing SAHM
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My BFP Chart

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you looked up companies like BC/BS? Usually they'll have some info on their website, or you can google "individual insurance plans". It'll be more expensive than having insurance through an employer (I'm sure you're already aware), and from what I've read, it's not easy finding a company that will cover maternity, but research, research, research.  There's something out there.
                                     http://www.pinterest.com/kate2904/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"