Special Needs
Options

Tomorrow is pt 2 of preschool eval **update--bleh**

I'm not really sure the proper name for what tomorrow is, but I think the first was an observation and this is the evaluation.  Basically we will know if she was accepted into the program based on OHI or if they are declining her, also if they are declining her if they were able to work magic and get her as a neuro typical peer in the 3's room.  

I'm really fairly neutral.  I don't want to get excited.  We are going to start a gymnastics class in July and I want to try and do swimming classes (they have an indoor place called little fishies or something) once fall hits.  So if we don't get into the school this year, I am going to work on doing stuff with her that doesn't involve doctors!

UPDATE:

She was found ineligible.  The school psychologist wasn't very friendly either. But, that's neither here nor there. Reasoning behind it is that she can't qualify for an OHI on a pre-school level because not ALL children are given access to public preschool at ages 2 & 3.  When she turns 4 (which will be right before shes' 5 bc of her bday) she could be eligible for on OHI for the headstart/preschool initiative program, i know atleast headstart is income based, and that we are over.  

I was upset and cried at one point they kept telling me how it's SUCH A GOOD thing that she doesn't qualify.  But in my mind, it's not.  In my mind, she is falling through the cracks in a flawed system.  She isn't allowed to attend any freaking private preschool so to me she is being denied an age appropriate education, but I get it.  Not all 2/3 year olds go to preschool.  She has significant social/emotional anxiety issues though and I wanted to get ahold on them now.

It is what it is.  I don't see any way to fight it, but i'm pissed.  It's always something.  Plus to make matters worse the whole time Peyton is going "i want to go to school" and is sooo excited.  First time she got in the car ALL week without screaming and throwing a fit.  It made me sad.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: Tomorrow is pt 2 of preschool eval **update--bleh**

• Options
    Doing fun stuff without MD's sounds amazing! Either way it is a win, yay!
  • Options
    I would fight it!  If her disability impacts her ability to go to a regular preschool she should be able to access special education.  Can you talk to your EI about it?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagemommyof4boys:
    I would fight it!  If her disability impacts her ability to go to a regular preschool she should be able to access special education.  Can you talk to your EI about it?

Yeah EI thought it was a long shot and wasn't even going to refer us to the pre-school but I showed them where on the website it talks about OHI, etc.  

I just talked to our service facilitator a few mins ago and she was just like you said everything you could and they wouldn't budge.  

I really don't think their is anything I can do. 

ETA: they are saying her education isnt' impacted bc not all 2 & 3 year olds have access to public school. 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    When they evaluated her, did they also evaluate her social skills? I wonder if you can get in if she's delayed enough there?
  • Options
    Ugh!  I hate this for you.  You are falling through a technical crack and it sucks.  It may be worth consulting with an advocate in your area to see if they can figure out a loophole.
  • Options

imagekar5162:
    When they evaluated her, did they also evaluate her social skills? I wonder if you can get in if she's delayed enough there?

they said she speaks to adults so she has good social skills, lmao.  And that her social/emotional/anxiety issues are all situationally related to dr's and would not impact her education.

• Options

Oh that sucks. Is this preschool within your district? If all 2-3 year olds in your district have 'access' to this school then that arguement is a fail.

I did get a great quote from a special educator that you may be able to use. One of MDSpEd's buzz phrases is to have a "seamless system of birth-five service delivery".... What happens when she turns 3? Will you have to go to another school for services or will you still get EI visits at home?

Hugs.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    imagerealisticdreams:

imagemommyof4boys:

Yeah EI thought it was a long shot and wasn't even going to refer us to the pre-school but I showed them where on the website it talks about OHI, etc.  

I just talked to our service facilitator a few mins ago and she was just like you said everything you could and they wouldn't budge.  

I really don't think their is anything I can do. 

ETA: they are saying her education isnt' impacted bc not all 2 & 3 year olds have access to public school. 

You can dispute it.  We did that with Chris' initial evals for PT.  PT said he didn't need the service but everyone else disagreed.  Do you have the name for the person above the district?  In NJ they known me on a first name basis :(  I call our county supervisor about things often. 

• Options
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

Oh that sucks. Is this preschool within your district? If all 2-3 year olds in your district have 'access' to this school then that arguement is a fail.

I did get a great quote from a special educator that you may be able to use. One of MDSpEd's buzz phrases is to have a "seamless system of birth-five service delivery".... What happens when she turns 3? Will you have to go to another school for services or will you still get EI visits at home?

Hugs.

The only children that have access to the program are ones with significant delays.  it's where the kids go when they transfer out of birth to three, but they can start going there as early as age 2.  We have nothing left to get out of EI because they transferred it to service coordination while waiting for these preschool evals.  We are done with speech and we do private PT (because they only have OT and she does not do the same thing as a PT does, even if she says she does, which she does, lol) Our service coordinator is coming out next week to just discharge everything because they basically said they having nothing left to offer us.

Their is no other school/preschool in the county who works with kids with SN. 

• Options
    image-auntie-:

I'm sorry.

The way IDEA is written, your child is entitled to services for educational needs at age three. Unless there is universal preschool in your district, she is not entitled to that experience.

You probably can't win this. You may find getting an IEP at kindie is hard and may end up with a section 504 which is more civil rights legislation than educational rights.

They said she won't qualify at 3 either, not until she's 4 when headstart/preschool initiative start.

Regardless the funny thing is that they kept saying P would not 'thrive' with these children.  That in the 2's class not one child speaks and that in the 3's class their are children with significant behavior problems.  BUT they want her as a peer model in the 3's class.  So it was like OK you don't want her to be around these children and learn bad habits these year..but next year is ok?

I honestly don't know what we'll end up with when she's old enough for the other programs because we don't really know what direction we are going in with the cathing.  Because right now, i'm so done.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"