Special Needs
Options

What Made You Seek Help?

Hi. I'm visiting from Parenting on the recommendation of a Bumpie who responded on this thread: https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/66787076/ShowThread.aspx#66787076

Do you notice any red flags in my nephew's case? What did you observe in your kiddo the made you seek an eval?

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***

Re: What Made You Seek Help?

• Options

My kiddo is a totally different situation than your nephew. We called because my son was only using 8 words at 18 months. He has no sort of behavioral issues.

In your nephew's case, it could be a lot of things. It could be autism. It could be some sensory issues. I don't think focusing on something he's doing and not making eye contact with others is necessarily autism though. My son does that and isn't autistic-he just focuses on the activity he's doing sometimes, especially if it's something his nervous system is craving.

Regardless, she should definitely call EI and get some help with his behavior. If it is sensory related, if she finds a balance between giving him positive, healthy ways to let out his energy and finds out what kind of activities are calming and organizing, she will likely be better able to control him.

I wish her well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Like, PP said - the issues we saw that made us decide to seek help were nothing like your nephew.  For us, I was holding out until 18 months for DS#2 to walk....and he wasn't.  He also wasn't talking, but I wanted to give that a couple more months...but he didn't.  So around 20-ish months is when we first started seeking evaluations and help.  He's a sweet and well behaved child, just very delayed. 

The no eye contact thing would throw a red flag to me for your nephew.  

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It never hurts to call for an evaluation if the feeling is that something isn't right. They will either confirm or they will lay your fears to rest.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Here's a link to our EI FAQ we did a few weeks ago....This may answer a few additional questions your sister may have.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/66185155.aspx

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"