Special Needs

Stuffed animals for heart patients

I was hoping someone could tell me if there are any special stuffed animals for pediatric heart patients.  A dear friend's son is getting ready to have his second valve replacement due to tetralogy of fallot.  I will be doing some things for the family like meals, toys/activities for him and helping with their second child, etc.  And when he is somewhat recovered my friend and I are planning on having DD go to their house for coloring/movie playdates. 

I know that for children with g-tubes there are some special stuffed animals and am just curious if any exist for heart patients.  I haven't been able to find anything on google. 

Hoping someone might know.

Thanks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Stuffed animals for heart patients

• https://www.karenskottage.org/CustomOrderSpecialAngel.html

I know she can alter just about anything/add scars, etc.   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• imagerealisticdreams:

https://www.karenskottage.org/CustomOrderSpecialAngel.html

I know she can alter just about anything/add scars, etc.   

OMG! Those are so awesome! 

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Its really kind that you're thinking of something like this.

I'm not sure about something that can be ordered, but for all of DDs conditions/surgeries we've just altered our own dolls. Ie. The g-tube was an extra that was the wrong size so we gave the doll "surgery" at home. Same with her trach, nebulizer treatments, IVs, bandages from her CI surgery, etc. I think DDs sister probably benefited from them more than anything, though. It was really good for us to be able to "play" through questions she had about what was going on to her sister. Actually DD1 was just talking last night about how her doll doesn't have a trach anymore, but she still has a stoma where her trach used to be and that's why she needs to keep her bandages. 

All of DDs heart conditions are "less visible". But I'd think if this LO is having surgery you could do stitches in the same place as theirs with just a regular doll and needle and thread and maybe pick up some bandage from your local pharmacy. If there's something like a pace-maker or external device, the child life center at a hospital will sometimes get a hold of an extra for you if you let them know that you're creating a doll for the patient. Our hospitals have always been very supportive of letting us have extra supplies for stuff like this.  

You sound pretty awesome! Keep up the great work!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • KRTKRT member
    Thanks for the link (the dolls are super cute) and for the suggestion on altering other stuffed animals.  He was only 4 months when he had his first surgery and will be 5 when he has his second.  We are all concerned about his anxiety and the pain post surgery.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • You can get one from Teddyhearts. She is a heart Mom here in Missouri. The beats are based on donations. You can google her or find her on Facebook. 
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"