Eco-Friendly Family
Options

conserving water help

our county just started doing new water statements that show daily average use of water, and i'm a little disappointed with our usage. 

Do you ladies have any ideas on how to conserve water? 

TIA!

Re: conserving water help

• Options
    Rain barrels!  Although depending where you live, that opportunity could have already passed for this year (ours had a little skating rink on the top). This is a pretty easy change to make for only the cost of the barrel, though.  You could even try to find one free on-line...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    what do you use the rain water for?  do you boil it to sterilize and then use for cooking?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Nope, just watering plants.  Mostly outdoor plants in planter boxes, pots, etc, and my DH will dump the whole thing on our apple tree from time to time as well (it's a small barrel; I want to get another - bigger - one next summer).  The water is supposed to be better for plants since, firstly, it's not as shockingly cold as the water from the hose, and also it doesn't have all the chemicals used to purify our city water in it.  Most of that water would just wash out into the alley if we didn't have the barrel under our downspout...

Still, if you live in a warmer climate, you could easily use it for indoor plants.  I have a ton of plants, so this would actually amount to some savings.

• Options

i saw someone mention something about a grey water toilet on here.  apparently it reuses the water from your laundry.  of course, that would mean replacing your toilets, but its a cool idea.

low flow shower heads are good.

• Options

turn off water when you brush your teeth.  catch water in the shower w/ a bucket and use for watering plants.  we live in arizona, so we got rid of all our grass and made a xeriscape yard with desert-adapted plants. 

https://www.wateruseitwisely.com/100-ways-to-conserve/index.php 

• Options

I know this is pretty minimal, but stuff like washing out recyclables - it's not really necessary.  DH is always washing them with soap like he would a dish we eat off!  I got the tip from this newsletter -

https://www.idealbite.com/tiplibrary/archives/lime_aid_bust_a_myth_week

I mean, I don't leave the recyclables disgusting, but I usually wash dishes over the recyclables (like yogurt containers) and therefore don't waste water on them.

• Options

low flow shower head (you can get one as cheap as $20)

flush toilet only every 3rd time (as in yellow let it mellow, brown flush it down)

set dishwasher so it's not on heavy wash.  use the medium setting

cold water boils faster than hot, so don't worry about letting the faucet run while waitting for the water to warm up.

• Options

put a brick/rock in your toilet tanks (it lowers the amount of water used each flush - especially older toilets use a ton of water). if you have pets - when you refresh their water - use the water left in bowl to water plants. set your dishwasher to light wash if you can - mine works just as well -- even with just scraping plates, not rinsing -- and uses a lot less water. shut off water when you are brushing teeth, scrubbing pots, washing hands. saves a LOT. (if you don't think so - just put bowl/pot in sink and leave on while you do brush you teeth once. you'll be amazed.)

i want a rain barrel for next spring/summer.  

m/c#1 07/16/08 (11 weeks), m/c#2 10/10/08 (8 weeks). and then nothing since except every test possible (no answers). IUI#1 and #2: BFNs Super lucky to be buddies with Peetie. Our out of nowhere, surprise DD born 5/29/2011
  • Options
    imagemlmtgg:

put a brick/rock in your toilet tanks (it lowers the amount of water used each flush - especially older toilets use a ton of water). if you have pets - when you refresh their water - use the water left in bowl to water plants. set your dishwasher to light wash if you can - mine works just as well -- even with just scraping plates, not rinsing -- and uses a lot less water. shut off water when you are brushing teeth, scrubbing pots, washing hands. saves a LOT. (if you don't think so - just put bowl/pot in sink and leave on while you do brush you teeth once. you'll be amazed.)

i want a rain barrel for next spring/summer.  

DON'T put anything in your toilet tank.  You might use less water, but the tiolet will not work effeciently, can clog lines, ect.  This is one thing that can cost you thousands in repairs.

• Options

cold water boils faster than hot, so don't worry about letting the faucet run while waitting for the water to warm up.

Cold water doesn't boil faster than warm/hot water. It just doesn't save you energy to wait for tap water to warm to fill up a pot that are you going to boil. You will spend as much (if not more) energy with your hot water tank heating the water then if you put cold water in the pot and heated it on the stove.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"