Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Something weird happened...

My wife and I were at the OB yesterday for her monthly check-up and we started talking about the birth plan and circumcision came up. The doc said it was totally up to us, but she mentioned that whatever the Dad is, your son should be as well so he won't ask..."how come mine doesn't look like Daddy's?" I found that kind of weird and I didn't want to talk to the doc about my penis.

Have any of you heard of this? Are you using that as a factor when it comes to your decision....or did you when your son was born?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Something weird happened...

• Options
    I think you and your wife should talk about it outside of the appointment. If you think it should or shouldn't the make sure it gets brought up before the birth!
  • Options

I think that's a way for them to dance around "whatever your religious background/tradition/family views" is fine. Most doctors don't want to take any real stance these days on circumcision. I think it's a personal choice, and I don't think daddy and son have to be twinsies in that regard.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I left the decision up to my H. It was just one of the factors we considered along with cost, recovery, and current research.
  • Options

imageiWesleyd08:
    I think you and your wife should talk about it outside of the appointment. If you think it should or shouldn't the make sure it gets brought up before the birth!

This.  We have discussed and if we have decided that we won't circumcise if we have a boy someday.  I am circumcised and being different has no bearing for me.  I think you can teach life lessons about it being ok to be different.   Also I just think its an unnecessary cosmetic surgery.  This is one of the few things I have a very strong stance on and I am happy my wife feels the same.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

My H's decisions to have each of the boys circumsized was based on the fact that he is.

You don't have to be twinsies but why make your son wonder right off the bat why his penis is different?  Yours will be the one he knows besides his own.  Dads have a key role in potty training their sons, as we moms don't have the equipment to demonstrate.

Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • Options
    Just be aware that if you are circumcised and your boy is not, there is some additional hygiene that will be very important for your boy that you won't have had to learn growing up. But choosing circ or not to avoid an awkward conversation or two isn't very sound. There are much more important reasons - sensation, risk of infection and cancer, that are much more important in weighing the decision.
  • Options

imageSquare Hippie:
    Just be aware that if you are circumcised and your boy is not, there is some additional hygiene that will be very important for your boy that you won't have had to learn growing up. But choosing circ or not to avoid an awkward conversation or two isn't very sound. There are much more important reasons - sensation, risk of infection and cancer, that are much more important in weighing the decision.

I agree 100%!!  Do the research with your wife on the topic and make a decision based on the facts that you discover in yuor research.

We are going to circ our boy.  We feel that it is the right choice because I am, and I have no experience the other way. We also see it as a health decision that we wanted to make.

Each set of parents need to make the decision based on the facts of the procedure, and what it means for the rest of his life, as he is the one who will have to live with the choice we make.

• Options
    What? I thought doc-***-talk was the new rave.....
  • Options
    imageDavidStamps:

My wife and I were at the OB yesterday for her monthly check-up and we started talking about the birth plan and circumcision came up. The doc said it was totally up to us, but she mentioned that whatever the Dad is, your son should be as well so he won't ask..."how come mine doesn't look like Daddy's?" I found that kind of weird and I didn't want to talk to the doc about my penis.

Have any of you heard of this? Are you using that as a factor when it comes to your decision....or did you when your son was born?

You should have acted like you were going to whip it out and said "Well Doc that would be a fine ieda if THIS hadn't happened in that carnival accident when I was 12..."

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"