Trying to Get Pregnant

prenatals that make me want to vom??

This may be a stupid post, but hopefully some of you ladies have experience with this......

OK so my OBGYN started me on prescription prenatals and he gave me a bunch of sample to start me off... They are called "Prenate Mini"... they are these little liquid filled tabs.  So I was having a bit a difficulty getting one out of the foil packet, so i accidentally poked a hole in one- making some of the liquid leak.. I proceeded to take the vitamin and almost vomited it right back up because of the nasty fish taste!!!! Are they all like that? And am I going to be burping fishiness? I know that there's fish oil in there but omg it's nasty!

TTC #1 since May 2012; Diagnosed with septate uterus July 2012 image

Re: prenatals that make me want to vom??

• hgqbpqhgqbpq member
    Multivitamins mess with my stomach pretty bad. When I started prenatals, I went straight for the VitaFusion Gummies. They have not once messed with my stomach and they taste like candy. Win-win! If you're open to alternatives, I suggest these.
  • imagehgqbpq:
    Multivitamins mess with my stomach pretty bad. When I started prenatals, I went straight for the VitaFusion Gummies. They have not once messed with my stomach and they taste like candy. Win-win! If you're open to alternatives, I suggest these.

This -- if all else fails, try the gummies 

• Loading the player...
  • I use Target's brand of VitaFusion Prenatal Gummies. They are like candy and don't mess with my stomach at all. 

TTC #1 since 8/2011
    Dx: Endometriosis(2000) & Uterine Fibroids
    Sept 2012-March 2013: TTA for surgery & recovery; surgery removed: neuroendocrine tumor & 30% of pancreas, 
    endo on diaphragm & in abdomen, & uterine septum
    April 2013: 5mg Femera - IUI cancelled
    May 2013: Cycle cancelled; CD3 estradiol levels too high
    June 2013: Cycle cancelled; umbilical hernia found; surgery to repair
    July 2013: IUI #1.2 - 5mg Femera + trigger = BFN
    Aug 2013: IUI #2 - 5mg Femera + trigger = BFN
    Nov 2013: surgery to remove 8cm fibroid from uterus & clean up endo
    March 2014: IVF #1 - Gonal F & Menopur; retrieved 12 eggs; 6 fertilized; 0 made it to blast
    moving on to DE
    July 2014: FET #1 w/ DE; cancelled due to clots in uterus; hysteroscopy to remove fibroid.
    Hopefully beginning FET #1.2 in late August/early Sept.

• They aren't all liquidy. And some don't use fish oil it depends on the brand.

This may sound weird but I heard when you are pregnant the baby can taste what you eat. That is why if you eat a lot of a certain food they will be more likely to like it after they are born. Well what about vitamins? Can they taste those too? I wondered that all through my first pregnancy.

• I was using the VitaFusions, but they don't have Iron in them "because they may appeal to children" or something like that. It says on the label. So I switched to regular pills. I take them with dinner, no problems so far.
  • They're all slightly different, but mine don't have much of a taste to them. I will say that I have to take them at night. The iron in them makes me sick to my stomach.
  • I take the Target brand (pink pill) before bed and haven't had any issues. Perhaps if you change the time of day you take them?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yea, multis in general make me sick and prenatals are no exception.  Try the gummies or take them right before bed.  Also, most prenatal DHA supplements are derived from algae instead of fish just so there isn't any confusion or worry over mercury.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • imagehgqbpq:

I take them too and I love them!

• imagearagosta:
    I eat before I take mine.  I find it interesting that you were prescribed them.  My doc just said to pick one off the shelf with a DHA supplement if needed. 

Mine are prescription,also.  When I had my last check up, I mentioned to the nurse we were going to TTC soon.  She wrote me a prescription, which the pharmacy fills for free.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love the VitaFusion Gummies! I tried the Target pink pill ones and they messed up my digestion. 
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

• I just take the generic Wal mart brand PNV at night before I go to bed.  Havent had a problem tolerating them and my stomach is pretty sensitive.
    CafeMom Tickers
     Anniversary
    TTC since July 2011
    BFP #1: 2/15/12-Ectopic/Mtx at 6 wks

BFP #2: 10/12/12-m/c at 5 wks. 
    BFP #3: 8/27/13
    Me: MTHFR, Low AMH (1.1), High NK cells and Antiphospholipid Antibodies.
    DH:MFI-Low morph (1%), DNA fragmentation: Excellent!
    5 rounds of clomid, 3 IUIs, and multiple non-medicated cycles- BFFN                                                      
    IVF with ICSI in August 2013 brought us our babies.  ER-9R, 7M, 4F w/ICSI  ET of 2-Grade 2 blasts. 
    + HPT at 6dp5dt. #1 (8dp5dt)- 105    #2 (13dp5dt)- 510  #3 (15dp5dt)- 960  #4 (17dp5dt)- 1889
    Dx shortened cervix, PTL, and preeclampsia during pregnancy.  Lots of medications and 13 weeks of bedrest, babies were born healthy at 34w4d!

imagehttp://oi44.tinypic.com/10dwifm.jpg
  • Is there a specific reason that your OB has you taking prescription ones? 

I've had problems with most multivitamines and PNV causing a lot of nausea. I've found success with the Target brand gummies.

Me: 25
    Dx PCOS (June 2006, re-confirmed March 2012), Anemia (May 2010-Still fighting to correct it), Fibromyalgia (May 2011)
    Initial b/w - normal
    HSG (March 2012) revealed right tube open and looking great. Left tube deformed with hydrosalpinx.
    Lap (April 2012) Removal of left fallopian tube. Right tube open and viable, but "rather enlarged." NO evidence of endometriosis...Uterus looks beautiful and "very capable" of carrying a pregnancy!
    October 2012 - Clomid 50mg + trigger + IUI = BFN
    With all factors taken into account, RE is recommending IVF. Planning on moving forward with treatment as a single woman using DS by Summer 2013.
    After 17 months of trying, Surprise BFP #1 2.15.2008 | EDD 8.7.2008 | Lost 2.16.2008
    After 2 more years of trying, Surprise BFP #2 1.29.2012 | EDD 9.11.2012 | Lost 1.29.2012
    Surprise BFP #3 3.27.2012 | EDD 12/2/2012 | Lost 4.1.2012
    imageimage
    someecards.com - Get a colonic?!? Some older lady said that's what she did to cure her infertility...Who knew a fancy enema and a sparkling clean ass would cure my infertility.
    My Blog Pinterest
  • Like a lot of other women, I've been on the Target pink pills for years...they have EC or enteric coating which usually eliminates stomach discomfort. The only MV's that have ever bothered me are the ones without EC. No problems with these for me. And no fishy liquid inside.
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
    Visit CapeCod.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagesarah_e87:

Is there a specific reason that your OB has you taking prescription ones? 

I've had problems with most multivitamines and PNV causing a lot of nausea. I've found success with the Target brand gummies.

I actually was taking the target gummies and i loved them.  I told my OB that we are TTC and he just automatically wanted to start me on the prescription prenatals.  I have had a history of anemia in the past, so maybe that's why he wants me on one with iron?  I don't know-- I didn't think much of it, so I didn't really ask questions!  I am following up with him in a few weeks because he wants to discuss my pelvic MRI with me-- so i'll ask him about it then.  My stomach isn't bothering me, it feels fine now... the issue was that I tasted the fishy taste and it made my stomach lurch!!

• When I was TTC #1 my OBGYN gave me a prescription but the smell made me want to vomit too. I talked to her and she said an OTC one works just as well so I found one of those (I think its like VItamin Valley or something like that....a brand carried at Walmart). It was great...no smell or after-taste but had what I needed in it still. Maybe look into something like that  :)
  • Generally, if you are taking liquid filled capsules you aren't supposed to take them if you rupture the capsule before taking it. By that logic you shouldn't have taken the one you ruptured this morning. One of the reasons why you aren't supposed to take a broken one is the liquid inside isn't meant to be tasted.  So, it is probably worth trying again tomorrow making sure that the capsule you take is intact when you take it.  You may find that you can take them since you aren't supposed to have to taste the liquid inside the capsule when you take them.

DD 1- born January 22, 2014
    Due June 25 2017

• imagehopeful808:

Generally, if you are taking liquid filled capsules you aren't supposed to take them if you rupture the capsule before taking it. By that logic you shouldn't have taken the one you ruptured this morning. One of the reasons why you aren't supposed to take a broken one is the liquid inside isn't meant to be tasted.  So, it is probably worth trying again tomorrow making sure that the capsule you take is intact when you take it.  You may find that you can take them since you aren't supposed to have to taste the liquid inside the capsule when you take them.

This makes a whole lot of sense-- I am hoping my experience with them tomorrow is better...and hopefully they don't smell fishy if they aren't ruptured. Because seriously, it was like consuming a few drops of raw fish juice ::gag::  

Thank u all for ur input! :) 

• Vita fusion gummies. I take them at night so I don't notice any side effects.
    Baby 2.0!
    BabyFruit Ticker

"http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/32499b"
     28 Years old DH 29
    Married since 8/7/10
  • I take my prenatal right before bed.  I used to take it with breakfast and it made my stomach turn. 

You could  also try cutting it in half (not the gel kind) and taking half twice a day.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I take Carlson DHA and Walgreens PNV. In my research I found that high quality fish oil should not cause fish burps bc there shouldn't be too much filler (it should all be Omega-3's). Good luck. Hope a non-ruptured pill is a better experience.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MTDBMTDB member
    I have to take my vitamins with food or otherwise I get really nauseous. With food, however, I'm fine. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

TTC #1 since November 2011; Unexplained infertility
    BFP #1: 2/8/13; Missed miscarriage discovered at 8w0d, measuring only 6w1d, no heartbeat; M/C via misoprostol on 3/22/13
    IUI #1: 11/12/13: BFP #2: 11/26/2013; Beta #1: 256; Beta #2: 7239; U/S #1: 12/19/2013: HB of 145! Measuring right on schedule; Due date 8/5/14
  • raeynraeyn member
    imagebbg676:

imagelexiarein:
    I was using the VitaFusions, but they don't have Iron in them "because they may appeal to children" or something like that. It says on the label. So I switched to regular pills. I take them with dinner, no problems so far.

That's why a lot of people love VitaFusions - the lack of iron.  Iron is ususally what makes people sick with vitamins.  Since VitaFusion does not have iron, people don't get sick.  But you still need to then also take an iron supplement.

That's what I do. I find that taking a separate Spring Valley iron supplement doesn't bother my stomach at all, regardless of the time of day. 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"