Breastfeeding

So let me get this right....

DD has been STTN lately (9 hours last night) and I wake up in pain and leaking.  Am I correct in thinking that I should not pump in the middle of the night b/c that will just make it worse?  The past couple nights I have just been dealing with the engorgement. I pump one side while she feeds off the other in the morning b/c I do need a stash (I work 2 days a week).  I wouldn't mind pumping in the middle of the night to build the stash and relieve my discomfort.  But I think I remember reading that it will only make your body think you need milk in the middle of the night.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: So let me get this right....

• Yes, you're right.  If you pump in the middle of the night you're telling your body to still make milk at night.  If you just put up with the engorgement for a little while, your milk production will decrease at night and you won't wake up engorged.
  • Mine has since stopped becoming so engorged. I still wake up really full, but they no longer hurt and barely leak!
  • Loading the player...
  • you can pump a little bit if you want to build your stash. but yes your body will keep making the milk if you pump/nurse at night. you could just pump to relieve the engorgement until you get enough in your stash and then stop pumping.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Yup.  Unfortunately.  If you want to build up your freezer supply and don't mind getting up, you can pump.  Otherwise, buy some nursing pads to keep somewhat dry and give it a few days (maybe a week).  Your supply will adjust and be fine again.  Not fun.  Sorry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"