Military Families

PCSing to Camp Lejeune

From Bethesda Naval Hospital. I lovvvvvve the doctors and care I get at Bethesda, but will be moving in October to Lejeune, does anyone know anything about their prenatal care or maternity ward? TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: PCSing to Camp Lejeune

• I'm at Camp Lejeune...well, we opted to live off base, which we LOVE! I'm 38 weeks and decided not to use Naval. I go to Wilmington for my OB care. I heard MANY mixed reviews about Naval...some loved it, some hated it. I chose to be able to pick my own doctor and go to a newer hospital. I really like my OB practice and they are very supportive of the military. My DH is deployed right now and we are planning on a Skype birth and my doctor is excited they can make that happen. At Naval there is no wifi at all in L&D and will not allow Skype which, I find terrible considering how many daddy's-to-be are deployed. Hope this helps :) 
  • My entire post really has nothing to do with your question about doctors. I apologize. I'm just excited for you. 

I'm not at Camp Lejeune but I'm at Seymour Johnson AFB which is not far from the Wilmington/Camp Lejeune area. I'm going to tell you right now Wilmington is BEAUTIFUL (which has nothing to do with your question of doctors). Also, if you want a 3D Ultrasound go to Wombs Window. :) It's easy to get to and the woman is awesome!!

I'm jealous because the area around our base is awful and Wilmington is nearly a 2 hour drive for me. I still go there all the time.

Enjoy the beaches! Wrightsville... all the way! 

• Loading the player...
  • I like CL, but I didn't like their OB or other medical care.  

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedaisy770:
    I'm at Camp Lejeune...well, we opted to live off base, which we LOVE! I'm 38 weeks and decided not to use Naval. I go to Wilmington for my OB care. I heard MANY mixed reviews about Naval...some loved it, some hated it. I chose to be able to pick my own doctor and go to a newer hospital. I really like my OB practice and they are very supportive of the military. My DH is deployed right now and we are planning on a Skype birth and my doctor is excited they can make that happen. At Naval there is no wifi at all in L&D and will not allow Skype which, I find terrible considering how many daddy's-to-be are deployed. Hope this helps :) 

Did tricare cover the outside care?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had my DD at Camp LeJeune's Naval Hospital and had a perfectly good experience.  All of the doctor's and nurses I saw during my pregnancy and labor did a great job and I had no problems.  The birthing rooms are really nice but the recovery rooms are just normal.  From what I have heard from other women who delivered in the area, is that the Naval hospital is better than out in town.  If you want to go out in town, I would go to Wilmington for sure.  Wilmington is much better! 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We moved from Quantico to Camp Lejeune when I was 30 weeks pregnant. I was seen at Bethesda and loved it there. I moved to CL with little issues. I was high risk, and I got an appointment within a few weeks of arriving.

My birth experience was difficult. I was induced due to high blood pressure. My body just wasn't ready to have a baby. I pushed for three hours before his heart rate dropped. They did an emergency c section. I feel like they waited too long to go to the C section. The midwife was really insistent that he wasn't too big. He was. I didn't care for the midwife.

My mother/baby experience was great. The nurses are amazing upstairs. They were a huge help, and they were all very nice. DH had his own bed ti sleep in, and we had our own room with private bathroom (unlike onslow). I was sick from BP issues and c section issues, but they were amazing. Including cheering for me to pass gas, so I could go home. :)
    we are currently TTC , and plan on delivering at CL again. This time will be a repeat c section though.
    IVF cycle 1-BPF!
    9/13/09-Twin boys born at 23 weeks due to Pprom.
    Ethan and Jacob-our beautiful angel babies lived for 11 minutes and 23 hours.
    Single embryo FET 12/2009-BFP! Blake born 8/2010 at 39 weeks after 36 hours of labor and an emergency c section < IVF 2- BPF! Due April 27th Our Story
  • imagePatsyGK21:

imagedaisy770:
    I'm at Camp Lejeune...well, we opted to live off base, which we LOVE! I'm 38 weeks and decided not to use Naval. I go to Wilmington for my OB care. I heard MANY mixed reviews about Naval...some loved it, some hated it. I chose to be able to pick my own doctor and go to a newer hospital. I really like my OB practice and they are very supportive of the military. My DH is deployed right now and we are planning on a Skype birth and my doctor is excited they can make that happen. At Naval there is no wifi at all in L&D and will not allow Skype which, I find terrible considering how many daddy's-to-be are deployed. Hope this helps :) 

Did tricare cover the outside care?

Yes, 100%...I have Tricare Standard, not Prime.  

• I went to naval for my OB care and delivery and  loved it. They were very respectful of my choices regarding my birth experience, and when things didn't go as expected they were very helpful and caring. I never had any issues with scheduling or anything like that, either. The hospital is nice-- the L&D rooms are very homey, and it was great that my husband got his own bed and we had our own room and bathroom in the mother baby unit. When I didn't feel ready to go home, they let us stay another night with no problem.

Everyone I've spoken with personally has loved Naval. I've only read bad things online. If you want to go off base, I'd only do it if you can get to Wilmington. I was referred out to something at Onslow and it was the WORST experience of my life.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm currently being seen at Camp Lejeune OB.  I haven't had a problem with them.  They were great when I had my miscarriage last August, and they have been good this time around.  The midwife I have been seeing has been very helpful and understanding, since I have a bit of anxiety due to my miscarriage.  My friends that have given birth on base have had no complaints really.  My friends that were seen at Onslow County Hospital, said it was ok.  The biggest complaints I have heard about both is that they have had a nurse or two not listen to them, or not have good bedside manners.  So to me that is a personel issues, it's kind of like like getting a crappy server at a restaurant.  You can't fix crappy attitudes, or help if you get someone on a bad day.

I do know that if you are on Prime right now, they are making everyone go on base.  I had a friend that lived closer to Wilmington and they still made her go on base even though she tried to change to a OB closer to her, since she was on Prime.  She decided to stay with Prime, and the base.

• We are at Camp Lejeuee and I like the Naval hospital. The doctors and nurses have been very caring.

PP said she goes to Wilmington, but that is pretty far to drive depending on where you live. If you live on base or in Jacksonville, Wilmington is about an hour away. In my last 3 weeks I had to go in to the Dr. at least two times  a week due to complications. I would not want to make that drive that often, even if it was a "nicer" hospital. Also, thinking about driving an hour when in labor or to bring the baby home does not sound fun.

Good luck in your decision

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"