Baby Showers
Options

Registering?

Just a quick question! When did you start to register for gifts??
  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Registering?

• Options

I started registering for what I wanted for my child (either purchased by others or by myself/husband) about 3 1/2 months out.  I didn't want to scan anything that would likely go out of stock/season and have to go back and update it. 

<Unsolicited advice>

Please don't think of it as "registering for gifts" because in reality, you shouldn't register for anything you're not planning on purchasing yourself.  Babies R Us (and others) will tell you to go ahead and register for "anything that catches your eye" but really, if you'd not be willing to spend your own money on it, you're not likely going to actually use it.  It's still wasted money even if it's coming from Aunt Sally. 

Trust me, when I was young and stupid, I went crazy before our wedding and made registries just for "funsies".  A guest found one of these and purchased a wonderful (and expensive), but for us, mostly useless, present that we don't use nearly as much as we should.  Being as it's someone that frequents our house, I didn't have the heart to tell her we didn't really need it and that I had just been playing around with a scanner gun so we still have it and use it as much as we can.  Had it been someone else, I might have fessed up, but it was a dear elderly family friend who was so proud of herself for finding "your registry online", I just didn't have the heart. 

</UA>

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    imageBallSox:

I started registering for what I wanted for my child (either purchased by others or by myself/husband) about 3 1/2 months out.  I didn't want to scan anything that would likely go out of stock/season and have to go back and update it. 

<Unsolicited advice>

Please don't think of it as "registering for gifts" because in reality, you shouldn't register for anything you're not planning on purchasing yourself.  Babies R Us (and others) will tell you to go ahead and register for "anything that catches your eye" but really, if you'd not be willing to spend your own money on it, you're not likely going to actually use it.  It's still wasted money even if it's coming from Aunt Sally. 

Trust me, when I was young and stupid, I went crazy before our wedding and made registries just for "funsies".  A guest found one of these and purchased a wonderful (and expensive), but for us, mostly useless, present that we don't use nearly as much as we should.  Being as it's someone that frequents our house, I didn't have the heart to tell her we didn't really need it and that I had just been playing around with a scanner gun so we still have it and use it as much as we can.  Had it been someone else, I might have fessed up, but it was a dear elderly family friend who was so proud of herself for finding "your registry online", I just didn't have the heart. 

</UA>

This is wonderful advice. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemorethancottoncandy:
    imageBallSox:

<Unsolicited advice>

</UA>

lol, I drink more coffee since I've been married than I did my entire pre-married life and every last drop is from guilt.  :snort:  Guilt-flavored coffee.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • Options
    imageBallSox:
    imagemorethancottoncandy:
    imageBallSox:

<Unsolicited advice>

</UA>

lol, I drink more coffee since I've been married than I did my entire pre-married life and every last drop is from guilt.  :snort:  Guilt-flavored coffee.  

Great advice, as usual.

And guilt-flavored coffee is the best.  I begged and pleaded with my husband to get this ridiculous cappucino machine.  I look at it now, and I'm sick with how much it cost.  I drink it so that he never knows he was right. LOL.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

My shower is at the 26 week mark...So I registered after I found out what I was having... at the 20 week mark.

.... Also I had started a private Amazon registry before this, just to save things I had done research on.

?Married 11-1-08 ~ dxPCOS 9-1-11 ~ BFP 2-14-12 ~ T.J. born 11-1-12? Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Tanner James The  BoysWedding Shot
  • Options
    Robi1Robi1 member
    imageBallSox:

<Unsolicited advice>

</UA>

Oh man, this same thing happened to me! Early in our engagement, my husband and I went to a Crate & Barrell registry event just to look around and get ideas (and mostly because they had free breakfast and mimosas...) and scanned a ton of stuff, then promptly forgot about this registry. Cue me, opening up a HUGE box of stuff that I had no recollection of registering for and wondering why someone would have picked out such ridiculous things, when I realized that we'd actually picked them out and never gotten rid of that registry. Fortunately, they are not people who ever visit our home, so we returned everything and exchanged for some nice stuff, but I felt horrible about it. 

I definitely agree about only registering for things you would buy yourself. I think of the registry as my to-buy list, and I plan to buy just about everything that isn't purchased by someone else. 

#1 7/2013
    #2 3/2015
    #3 3/2017
    #4 10/2019
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"