Success after IF

Traditional Chinese Medicine

After our failed IVF, I began doing acupuncture. My acupuncturist recommended The Infertility Cure, which has been great. She's started me on herbs and homeopathic treatments as well as pre and probiotics. I'm not normally someone who would try these things but I'm going to give it a try. I've read a lot of success stories about people who were told they have little chance of success and then conceived with the help of TCM. So I'm going to dedicate myself to it and really try it before going back to IVF. Anyone here felt their success in getting pregnant was due to TCM?

Thanks!

Me 30/DH 31 Married in June 2003. TTC since 2008. M/c in Nov. 2008. D/x: DOR and MFI 5 cycles of IUI in 2010. IVF #1 in Nov. 2011. ER 11/22. ET 11/25. BFN.

Re: Traditional Chinese Medicine

• I did TCM with my IVF cycle and I think it helped a lot. I did acu, meditation, yoga, organic foods, no alchohol or caffeine, and some supplements (no herbs while actually cycling) I was given some crappy odds of IVF working because of my DOR dx, but I actually cycled really well.

I thought the Infertility Cure was a really great book too!

good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi, I was at my chiro's office the other day for an adjustment and purchased a bottle of wheat germ oil.  My DD has a scar on her back and I've heard that the oil is good for scars.  The accupunturist there jokingly asked if I was trying to get pg... apparently wheat germ oil is recommended for infertility.  It was only $8 for a bottle of capsules, so maybe something to look into.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I tried acupuncture and herbs for 6 months and was unsuccessful. I continued to incorporate acupuncture during my IVF cycle and was successful. Acupuncture alone can be helpful for some people but it didn't work for me. However, there is a lot of research that shows that it increases chances of success when combined with ART.

Good luck 

Photobucket TTC since 1999. Unexplained Infertility. IUI#1 Oct. 12/11 - BFN IUI#2 - Nov 8 - Failed
    IUI#3 - Jan 6 IVF#1 -5/18 - stims start (225 gonal f, 75 menopur, 5 lupron) ER 5/29 - 14R, 11M, 7F. 6/1 - Transferred 2 8cell embryos (grade 1 and 2). 8dp3dt +HPT, Beta#1 - 92, Beta #2 - 174, Beta#3 - 614, Beta#4 - 2010. 6wk u/s - TWINS! Baby A 114bpm, Baby B 112 bpm Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I definitely feel accupuncture played a part in our success :) It was our 1st attempt at IVF, but with a pretty high FSH (and other auto-immune issues), the dr. told us our chances were only 25% chance to get pregnant, even with IVF. And now I'm 15 weeks pregnant with twins :)

I did weekly acupuncture for about 5 months total - a few months leading up to our IVF cycle, and then right up to our first positive pregnancy test. My acupuncturist also suggested a diet of no gluten, no dairy, no processed foods, and nothing cold (like right out of the fridge). I saw some major changes that I think were due to the treatments and diet - no more monthly migraines, way more energy, and my pretty irregular cycle became 28 days the 2 months before starting IVF.

I know everyone is different, but we ended up with 15 eggs retrieved, 13 were fertilized, and 5 embryos were progressing nicely :)

It wasn't cheap to do the weekly accupuncture (although pocket-change compared to the IVF bill), but I believe completely worth it. My husband and I thought we should do it to get my body in the best shape possible, best balance, before beginning.

Good luck - let me know if you have any questions :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got pregant twice after giving up on traditional medical intervention (4 failed IVFs and numerous failed IUIs).  One ended in m/c but the other gave us DD.  The only thing we were doing was acupuncture.  I'll never know if that's what helped (especially since we did acu for quite a while before having success), but it certainly didn't hurt.  If nothing else, it was very relaxing and just made me feel better in general. 

Best of luck to you! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"