Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

building a crib

DW doesn't want my brother's awesome crib because it is a few (3-4) years old and could potentially not have the safety features or price tag of a 2012 Volkswagen Passat. I think it would be fine but then jokingly brought up the idea I could just build one, but it got me thinking. We are still in 1st trimester, time is still bountiful, are cribs really that ridiculously complicated?

Re: building a crib

• Options
    I'm sure if you have a good know how of construction and wood working it couldn't be that hard.  I wish I had that kind of knowledge and materials.  What about the safety features part though?  If you make your own crib it won't be safety tested.  I still think it is a cool idea if you can pull it off legitly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Man to man I would say do what your wife wants to do when it comes to the nursery. For some reason I think every women out there has a dream as a little girl of their wedding day and bringing home their first child to the nursery they designed. I didn't want to mess with that dream! 

My practical side thinks the 3-4 year old crib would be okay as long as you check it out. I don't think there have been a lot of changes in cribs in the last few years. I know they banned drop side cribs etc, but I think that was 8-10 years ago. I know there are websites out there where you can check if there is any type of recalls on the crib. I'm sure you could also call the customer service department of the manufacturer and give them the information on the crib and they would let you know if there are any recalls on it. 

The problem we ran across is we ordered two new cribs and I went to  pick them up about 4 weeks later and found out they were under recall and the store forgot to call me and let me know. So even new items can have problems. 

As for building one that wasn't even an option for me. We bought a crib where we can buy a $75 conversion kit and it turns into a toddler bed and then twin bed. We felt for spending about $250 per crib plus the $75 conversion kit and it may last 10 years is a good buy. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was wrong on when they banned sales of drop side cribs. I looked it up and it was at the end of 2010. Not sure why I thought it had been 8-10 years. So if your brother's crib is a drop side I myself would not use it. Here is a link about drop side cribs

https://www.webmd.com/parenting/news/20101215/drop-side-cribs-banned-safety-issues 

• Options
    Thanks for the advice. She cited the drop side ban and something about a change to distances between the slats. I'm sure I could build a safe crib but ultimately I believe you are right - its her call. Besides, I imagine it would be hard to build something better and safer than current industry standards. The convertable crib thing sounds awesome.
  • Options

I'm just a lurker, but I thought I would chime in.  

DH is going to build our crib and FIL built one for SIL.  I would only do it if you are proficient in woodworking.  Make sure that you are familiar with safety standards (distance between slats, fit of the mattress, etc.).

You can find plans online and a hardware kit on Rockwell.com.  Don't expect it to save you a lot of money, the materials and kit can get expensive.  

Your brother's crib can be brought up to safety standards with a drop side immobilizer.  

Good luck! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I agree with twindaddy, making your wife happy is a top priority, especially if it's your first kid. My wife is so neurotic about recalls and product safety (she's also a 1st grade teacher) that we have pretty much purchased everything new or checked up on all of the gifts that friends and family have given us. 

People always tell me, Happy Wife - Happy Life, and it's worked thus far. Also, toss in hormones and a growing kid and it can feel like a ticking time bomb....trust, you don't want that to detonate. 

• Options

Dude, if you can do it, more power to you!!

I would be fearful that it would not meet safety standards, but that is me.  Our crib is very nice, and we got it for less than $350 w/ matress.  Took me all of 45 minutes to put it together.

Wives are all about safety....better make sure that you follow that rule of thumb, dude:-)

• Options

Thanks socogirl, will look into rockwell for some other projects. I wouldn't call myself proficient exactly, not whipping out dovetail joints or fancy cabinetry grade stuff, but careful and working my way towards it. do you know how long he is planning it to take?

also thanks for the crib mod idea, sounds interesting.

• Options
    imageSquare Hippie:

Thanks socogirl, will look into rockwell for some other projects. I wouldn't call myself proficient exactly, not whipping out dovetail joints or fancy cabinetry grade stuff, but careful and working my way towards it. do you know how long he is planning it to take?

also thanks for the crib mod idea, sounds interesting.

I think he is planning on it taking a couple of weekends; He is using a very simple design (my choice ;) and has done cabinetry in the past.  My FIL took months because of a complex design.

If you aren't great at woodworking I would look into buying a Kreg Jig- it makes everything so much easier and strong joints.   Even I can build things with a Kreg Jig.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had invested in a kreg jig for some railing work, indespensable :)
  • Options
    My dad is building our crib for us, and I couldn't be more excited about it!  He is being careful about safety standards and is a very good builder (he built the house my parents live in) so I'm not worried.  I think as long as you are careful and adhere to safety standards, you will be fine.  And it's a really special thing that you can do for your baby.

Started TTC "2.0": 6/13, First round of Clomid: 3/14, BFP: 4/14, EDD: 12/23/14, C-Section: 12/18/14
    Nathan and Nicholas are going to have so much fun together!

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"