Working Moms
Options

daycare while on maternity leave?

I am currently pregnant with my second child, my first will be about a year old when the second is born.  I am debating on whether or not to take our oldest out of daycare while I am home on maternity leave.  We can afford it, I just feel guilty about having him in daycare while I am home all day.  On the other hand, I know how exhausting it was to take care of him when he was first born. 

Re: daycare while on maternity leave?

• Options
    When we have our second, we will continue to send DD to day care.  She needs her routine kept the same as much as possible.
  • Options
    We will still be paying for daycare while I am on maternity leave, otherwise we would lose her spot.  I plan on sending DD full time for at least the first month and then perhaps part-time the rest of my maternity leave.  I want her to have that routine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day!  I think that we'll continue to send dd to daycare but part-time. 
    Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
  • Options

I am currently on maternity leave with my 2nd, and have a 19 month old. I would HIGHLY recommend you keep paying for daycare so you have the option to send your older DD as much or as little as you want. This is what we are doing and I honestly don't know what I would do without this option. My newborn hardly sleeps at night, sometimes I'm up until 5:30 am with her, and my older DD wakes up around 6:30, so I have DH take her to daycare in the morning so I can take a nap! It's a handful dealing with a newborn and a toddler and it would be hell on one hour of sleep. I definitely don't send my older DD full-time, or even every day, but she likes seeing her friends there (and I swear she gets sick of staying here with me) and it is so helpful to have a few hours to spend with just my newborn. Again, if you can afford it I would highly recommend it!

• Options
    I don't have advice from personal experience, but my friend and I just discussed this.  She thought she would keep her daughter home from DC once her son was born.  However, she changed her mind quickly once her son arrived.  She highly recommends keeping the first child in DC for many reasons.  If the cost is not an issue, it might be a good idea to keep them enrolled, at least PT.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

For a one year old, I see no advantage to daycare, personally. If you have to pay to keep your spot then maybe but otherwise I woudln't.

• Options

My kids are 3 years apart. Ethan was in the nursery at 3 years old and they had a lot of activities, spent time outside and he had a lot of friends, so he continued going full time.

DS2 was/still is a very difficult baby. He hardly napped without my boob in his mouth and nursed around the clock. Ethan would've been ignored a lot at home... I planned on keeping him in daycare full time, but picking him up early. Unfortunately, I rarely ever made it to the center before 5 pm.

Is it something you can re-arrange at the last moment, or will you have to pay anything? I would definitely count on your DC 1 going at least part time. I would not feel bad about it. They have their own routine at dc too and if he's happy there, why not leave him there at least part time? You'll have some time to bond with the baby and spend some time with your older one when he comes home.

• Options
    I am keeping Cole in daycare. I don't want to change his routine too much. I will be switching to freelancing from my home Tu-Th, so when the baby is ready to start daycare I will move Cole back to three days a week.  
  • Options
    I am planning to keep my DS in daycare, at least 3 days a week.  He'll et bored at home b/c its not like I'll be on the ground playing with him
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My DD will still go 3 days a week (her current schedule). I want to keep her routine/life as 'normal' as possible, plus we have to pay for her spot anyway.
    My two PCOS miracles! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"