VBAC

vbac and obesity

Tell me what you know about the risks of a vbac in an obese person...  I looked online and couldn't find much.  I found a doctor in my city who is looking at my file to see if he thinks I'll even "qualify" for a vbac.  He is one of only two doctors in a very large city who attend vbac births!  I feel so pessimistic about the whole thing at this moment.  It seems like the odds might be stacked against me. :(   My entire state only has a 2% vbac rate.   I really hope my weight won't be a factor in him not taking me as vbac patient.

Does anyone on here have a successful, happy vbac story who is/was obese?

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: vbac and obesity

• I had my VBAC but I had a MW. She used a (I'm assuming universal) grading scale to determine the risks and if I would qualify for a VBAC. The only thing I was told is that I wouldn't be able to use the birth center so it had to be at home because she doesn't do hospital births.

Oh btw, my risk factors ended up being overweight and asthma so I was fine. I believe it's 3 points for being overweight, and 2 for asthma and you can't have more than 8 points or something like that (I don't remember the exact numbers now, sorry). DD was born a very healthy baby at 42 weeks after about 2 hours of labour weighing 8lbs 8oz. So you should be perfectly fine I think as long as we're not talking about being morbidly obese and even then, I've seen ladies do it who were. GL to you and I would probably look into a MW if possible.

ETA: sentence structure

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I'm not really sure, but there is a local lady here in Portland who deals with this issue.  She is super knowledgeable and ready to share what she knows.  Check out her blog at:  Well Rounded Mama:  https://www.wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/

• Loading the player...
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm overweight and my provider didn't say a thing about it.  Maternal weight is just one of many factors.  But, in the end, all factors DON'T combine to equal an answer about whether or not an attempt will be successful.  I think finding a supportive provider is more important than any of the other factors.  Good luck with your search.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am also overweight, very much so :( and my doctor didn't breath a word about me not qualifying for a VBAC and now at 5mo along she still hasn't mentioned it. She's totally game to try for it and even has encouraged me to do so. The only thing she said would that would stand in my way is if I had a repeat of the complications I had with my last pregnancy and I needed to be delivered. She will no induce me as I understand it. Said that the safe thing to do at that point would be a repeat c-section. Sooooo baring something like a poorly positioned baby, blood pressure/pre-E issues, or fetal distress once I'm in labor I've got the green light to go for it in spite of my weight. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"