South Florida Babies

Moving to area for job next to Miami Zoo

What area would you recommend for a young family to live in with my husband working at the Federal Prison right next to the Miami Zoo. We are a white english speaking couple thus can not live in an area that is 100% spanish.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Moving to area for job next to Miami Zoo

• Also any ideas for childcare, pediatrician, and meet up groups
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MegK11MegK11 member

Welcome!  My husband and I just moved here in March. We are in Fort Lauderdale and am unsure of locations in the Miami area. Best of luck to you!:)

Meghan

• Loading the player...
  • Pinecrest, Palmetto Bay and Cutler Bay are all nice areas.  Pinecrest has amazing school system, as does Palmetto Bay.  Be careful with the zoo area, as it has some pockets of bad neighborhoods.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Hey!

Just a couple of questions to help narrow down locations.

1. How does your husband feel about commuting? Does he want really close or willing to travel a bit? He probably works off usual traffic hours, right? 

2. Do you guys prefer being close to downtown, beaches or prefer a more quiet family neighborhood with parks?

3. Staying for a while? Schools will be a big consideration.

4. Are you planning on working or staying at home? Again, thinking of commuting.

My husband and I have been here for 6 years and lived in Coconut Grove and the Roads areas, now moving a bit more north for many reasons. If you want, pm me and I can you give a ton more info on Miami and places to be and to avoid. It's a lot to type out if you forgot this was here! Good luck!

• Hi there, good luck on your move..... Here is my email if you'd like Tacey1983@yahoo.com

Im always open to meeting new faces and potential friends

Due 10/23/12  

• I know you posted this a while ago, but thought I would post in case you're still checking it. We live in that area (zoo is about 10 minutes from us). The best family neighborhoods are the Crossings, the Hammocks, & Country Walk in this area. Everyone speaks enough English to communicate with. You're definitely going to get people trying to speak to you in Spanish (especially if you have brown hair) but just tell them you only speak English and they can communicate with you or leave you alone. : ) HTH
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I forgot to address your other questions about childcare, pedis, etc. 

Don't know much about childcare in the area, my son stays at home with DH. Our pedi is a little farther away but I LOVE her (Dr. Jana Myers, you can Google). And I know there are Miami mom meetup groups, but I found the perfect place for me and my son was going to My Gym and making friends from there that we can hang out with outside of classes. 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Awesome, thank you all for the feedback we really appreciate it. Smile

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi,

You might want to look into KinderCare very good daycare/afterschool care. My boyfriend's sister works there and she has a two year old that loves it. She is also very bright. 

-Natasha 

• Hello,

Congratulations on your bump. I just found out that I am expecting two days ago. I was born and raised in Miami... about 10 minutes from the Zoo. I currently live in Cutler Bay (Lakes by the Bay) Isles at Bayshore community and I LOVE IT. I bought a townhome here about 3 years ago. It takes about 15-20 minutes to get to the zoo from here but the turnpike is very close. Christ the King is by far the best daycare/school down south. I am a high school teacher, and I tutor kinder and 1st graders at my church. I tutor students from Frank C.. Martin K-8 which is an IB school which my daughter also attends. I would highly recommend this school. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

• imagehungry247:

Hey!

Just a couple of questions to help narrow down locations.

1. How does your husband feel about commuting? Does he want really close or willing to travel a bit? He probably works off usual traffic hours, right? 

Doesn't want to travel too far...traffic should not be bad as shift hours are two hours earlier then normal hours (6am to 2pm, 2pm to 10pm, 10pm to 6am)

2. Do you guys prefer being close to downtown, beaches or prefer a more quiet family neighborhood with parks?

Quiet family neighborhood with parks sounds great!

3. Staying for a while? Schools will be a big consideration.

Depends on how we like it, how are the schools in the Country Walk area?

4. Are you planning on working or staying at home? Again, thinking of commuting.

My husband and I have been here for 6 years and lived in Coconut Grove and the Roads areas, now moving a bit more north for many reasons. If you want, pm me and I can you give a ton more info on Miami and places to be and to avoid. It's a lot to type out if you forgot this was here! Good luck!

Thank you so much for your time! I will pm you :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageXandersMommie:
    I know you posted this a while ago, but thought I would post in case you're still checking it. We live in that area (zoo is about 10 minutes from us). The best family neighborhoods are the Crossings, the Hammocks, & Country Walk in this area. Everyone speaks enough English to communicate with. You're definitely going to get people trying to speak to you in Spanish (especially if you have brown hair) but just tell them you only speak English and they can communicate with you or leave you alone. : ) HTH

Slow federal government just got the transfer finished and gave him a date right around the due date...uhhh. Thank you for the reasurring post and I think we are going to search in the 3 neighborhoods you listed!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi there!!!

First and foremost....congrats on the baby!!! What a blessing. Hope you are enjoying every minute of it.

As for the best place to live near "Zoo Miami" (formerly known as Metro Zoo)....I say Country Walk, Country Walk and Country Walk. I have lived here for 10 years and I LOVE IT! We bought our starter home here 10 years, and when it came time to upgrade due to our growing family, we decided to stay here and just bought a bigger house in Country Walk. We looked at over 25 other properties, but always found ourselves coming back here. Even when my family and friends come to visit, they always comment on how they love my neighborhood because they don't feel like they are in Miami. It's very peaceful, and quiet. It is very family oriented, very clean, has 2 parks for children, has a daycare/learning center right inside the development, as well as it's own elementary school. We also have a Publix, Walgreens, a CVS, as well as many other things less than 5 minutes away. Country Walk loves to celebrate holidays, so they always have family oriented events for every holiday at the clubhouse. You usually have to pay $1.00 to attend. We have an amazing 4th of July celebration....huge fireworks display and all. We have a nice lake were ducks and geese love to hang out. My son loves to feed them and then we jump to the playground. Everyone is very nice, and again, it's just a nice community.

As for the English/Spanish thing....you will hear LOTS of Spanish everywhere in Miami. There is no escaping that. My husband does not speak Spanish at all, and he does well here.

Everything is within driving distance here, so if you have a car, you shouldn't have a problem. I can recommend you some of my doctors if you'd like, but they are about a 20 minute drive from where we live.

I gotta run right now.....time for my little one's nap. Please email me: jct821@hotmail.com if I can help you with anything at all. I'm sure you'll have more questions. :o)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"