Special Needs
Options

Tear Duct Obstruction surgery

So, Nate is part of the 10% of children whose tear duct blockages do not resolve on their own. I am not surprised considering his other craniofacial abnormalities and mid-line defects.

Has anyone's child had this procedure? I know what it entails, I was just curious regarding any "inside information" that would be helpful. He has been under general anesthesia before, so we are well prepared in that arena.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

Re: Tear Duct Obstruction surgery

• Options
    Ds had this done, though we coupled it with a second hypospadias surgery he had so he wouldn't need to go under for the eye procedure separately. The tear duct procedure went first and after maybe 20 minutes that surgeon came out and said he finished and it went great (though ds still had the other surgery so we didn't see him for another 2 hours). I was so worried that it wouldn't work, but we had great results and I was just so grateful to be done with the constant crust and tears and infections. We were mostly focused on his recovery from the other surgery, but his eye seemed normal immediately after waking up. We needed to use drops for a week, and when we stopped them we noticed some crust, so we started them back up for another 3 days as instructed and all was great after that. It really is an easy procedure. The prep of not eating for the anesthesia and the anesthesia are the hardest parts. Good luck!
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    DD had it done at around 18 months old.  It was SUPER quick and easy.  We took her back to be put under, walked down to the cafeteria for a muffin, and before we'd finished our coffee got beeped to come back upstairs because she was in recovery!  She was a total champ--came home and ate lunch and went on about her day.  We had a little blood leak out (normal) but it seemed pain free and it was totally effective.  It was so nice to be done with wiping her eye, infections from all the crust and moisture, etc.  She's 5 now, and we've never had a single issue.  Good luck and HTH!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    we need to get this done too!  where are you having it done?  our eye doctor is out of st agnes and the only reason why we haven't done it yet is that we want it coupled with another surgery and all x's surgeries are at JHH.  we see genetics next month so hopefully we can establish ourselves w/ an eye dr at wilmer so we can get it done should he need another surgery in the future.  i just don't want to go the whole anesthesia route unless we need to since last time his heart rate dropped and needed a shot of atropine.  blah
  • Options

Thanks everyone for the tips!!

imageadge1119:
    we need to get this done too!  where are you having it done?  our eye doctor is out of st agnes and the only reason why we haven't done it yet is that we want it coupled with another surgery and all x's surgeries are at JHH.  we see genetics next month so hopefully we can establish ourselves w/ an eye dr at wilmer so we can get it done should he need another surgery in the future.  i just don't want to go the whole anesthesia route unless we need to since last time his heart rate dropped and needed a shot of atropine.  blah

Our ophthalmologist is Dr. Feirgang. He does his procedures at GBMC. I did hear from him that the Wilmer folks are not fans of piggybacking. They don't even want Hopkins ENTs piggybacking.

I was trying to think of doing a two-fer with Nate, but they only thing I can come up with is scoping his nose and throat for breathing obstructions. He still has his mouth open about 70% of the time. SLP thinks that if we can get him to close his mouth more he may gain on some bilabial sound making. *shrugs*

I think his open mouth is more a muscle tone thing than a breathing thing since he seems to have it closed most of the time while sleeping....Anywhooo, the procedure is scheduled and frankly, I am not in the mood for the hassle of a two-fer for only an information gathering procedure. We may pursue a swallow study in the future...hmmm...that reminds me of another question I have for you ladies....

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    ugh dammit, i really don't want to put him under at a different hospital.  the tear ducts are more just an annoyance for us at this point (well and of course i'd like him to not have goopy eye).  i think i wouldn't care so much had we not had the issue last time.
  • Options
    Fiergang is really good. My hubs is now an employee of Wilmer/Hopkins. I don't see why the wouldn't piggyback. The tear duct surgery is very quick. If you have any specific questions I can ask hubs. You can list them here or email me lesleytaylor@hotmail.com
  • Options

imageadge1119:
    ugh dammit, i really don't want to put him under at a different hospital.  the tear ducts are more just an annoyance for us at this point (well and of course i'd like him to not have goopy eye).  i think i wouldn't care so much had we not had the issue last time.

I can't wait to get rid of the goopy eye!!!

I am always worried school will send him home thinking he has conjunctivitis.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

imagelesleytaylor:
    Fiergang is really good. My hubs is now an employee of Wilmer/Hopkins. I don't see why the wouldn't piggyback. The tear duct surgery is very quick. If you have any specific questions I can ask hubs. You can list them here or email me lesleytaylor@hotmail.com

It is entirely possible that piggybacking could be an option at this time. I have no idea how current Dr. F's impression is regarding how Wilmer operates.....

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"