North Carolina Babies

Benadryl?

What have your experiences been with Benadryl? John has had a runny nose, congestion and watery eyes. DH seems to thinks Benadryl is the cure-all but I'm on the fence about using it. If it's not allergy related and just a cold then what good will it do? Is there an infants version? The children's doesn't give dosages for his age. I have heard that in some kids it makes them hyper - not the side effect I am looking for!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Benadryl?

• On some kids I have heard that it has that adverse reaction to hyping them up more (it did me as a kid), but we've used it for Brooks and he gets the typical response of sleeping better. It does work with a cold (as well as allergy symptoms) by drying up the drainage thus allowing them to sleep better.

Dosage: When Brooks had an allergic reaction a few months ago (and several pounds ago) our pediatrician had us give him 1/2 teaspoon (marked on the dropper in the Children's Bendryl bottle). 

image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

***Baby #3: BFP Mother

• I'm a little late to this, but what I've been told by our pedi and pharmacist is the dosage for benadryl is 1tsp for every 20 pounds. So, if he weighs 15 pounds, he gets 3/4 tsp, or if he weighs 30 pounds 1.5 tsp. 

It has helped the girls some, but not always.  Sometimes they sleep better, sometimes they climb the walls.  Its crazy how its not always the same for them.  With their current cold the nurse told us to try dimetapp and that seems to be helping, although when you're dealing with a cold all it does is temporarily relieve the symptoms to help make them comfy, it doesn't actually "fix" anything.

I hope he feels better soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Eli doesn't seem to be affected by it in any way, but I've only given it to him  a few times.  With the watery eyes especially, it does sound like maybe it's allergies.  Is he rubbing his face alot?  It won't hurt to give him a couple of doses and just see.  According to my pedi, we give Eli 3/4 tsp, every 6 hours, of Children's Benadryl.  He weighs 18 lb now, but when we were given that dosage, he was probably around 16 lb.  So MrsJones' formula sounds right to me.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"