Special Needs
Options

In which I confess that I have become crazy

I have three little boys.  They are aged 6, 3 and 4 months.  My 6 y.o. has an asperger's diagnosis and my 3 y.o. has a PDD-NOS diagnosis.  They both have lots of sensory issues and the 3 y.o. also has a diagnosed feeding disorder and a diagnosed sleep disorder and though not diagnosed, has a ton of anxiety and a bit of an OCD flavor to him.

When I found out I was pregnant just over a year ago (it was a surprise) I felt my stomach drop.  My mind instantly went to autism.  At our 20 week anatomy scan we found out we were having another boy, it was another big blow. I cried for several days thinking about the high probability that we could be having another child that lived with autism.   

Then I let it all go.  Every morning when I woke up I told myself that he will be what he will be and I can't change that. I can take my prenatal vitamins, eat well and stay healthy, but that is really all I can do.  

The first few months after he was born, I was able to mostly keep my mind away from thinking about autism in my new baby boy.  He nurses and takes bottles like a champ, he sleeps OK, he doesn't cry all day and night like my 2nd did.  I could let it go for now.  

However, as he is getting older and reaching more milestones and starting to interact more with us, I am constantly analyzing him. CONSTANTLY.  I have started noticing that when I say his name I see him react but he doesn't look towards me.  I have to find his eyes a lot.  I feel that pit in my stomach every time it happens.  I hate that I know now what I am looking for.  I want to be blissfully unaware again. 

I have to stop myself from googling every day.  I cope by knowing more and researching and reading.  I want to just see my baby and not look for autism, but I can't let it go.  I know I can't change who he is, but this is starting to consume me and I hate it.  Crying

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: In which I confess that I have become crazy

• Options

:( I would be doing the exact same thing. I have a 7 yo recently dx with PDD and a 4 almost 5 yo. They are both so different and the younger one def. is more socially advanced, but I also can not help but analyze him. 

Enjoy your baby boy. 
  • Options

How are you doing otherwise? That sounds like a ton of stress to deal with. Are you talking to anyone about anxiety, PPD, and/or just for your own mental clarity/health?

We got DD1's ASD dx when DD2 turned one. I had her evaluated at 15 months, three months later, because I was convinced she was on the spectrum as well. She had hardly any words and distinctly gave me little eye contact. Although she acted just fine and typical with everyone else, which was hard for me to recognize at the time. 

During her evaluation, the evaluators noted that she was actually a bit socially advanced -- but that she had a noticeable difference in the eye contact with me. When I told my pedi that, she asked how I was doing (not well) and I started going to a therapist for PPA/PPD. I'm on a/ds now that I'm not BFing anymore.

What my pedi knew was that there have been studies showing that babies interact differently with moms who are under a lot of stress and depressed, and it can look like early red flags for autism (less facial affect/expressiveness with mom, less eye contact, etc.). Once I started feeling better, I felt like I could enjoy DD2 (and DD1) more, and our relationship got back on track almost immediately. 

Your third DS may be on the spectrum, or he may not. I know how it feels to have that lurking in the back of your head every day, second-guessing every interaction, testing their reactions, etc. IME, at least, having that anxiety pressing in on your everyday interactions can actually affect them, and then that feeds the anxiety, etc. 

Just something to consider. **hugs** 

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagelite-bright:

How are you doing otherwise? That sounds like a ton of stress to deal with. Are you talking to anyone about anxiety, PPD, and/or just for your own mental clarity/health?

We began this journey two years ago.  During the first ten months I had educational evaluations and medical diagnosis done for both of my older boys.  I have never gone through a more stressful time in my life.  It was awful.  During that time, I was diagnosed with situational depression and started seeing a therapist. I took Zoloft for a number of months and saw my therapist for about 1 year.  Shortly before I found out I was pregnant, I weaned off the Zoloft and felt really good still.  A few months into my pregnancy, my therapist moved offices and I could no longer see her.  I never found someone else. 

I feel different from that time.  I don't feel depressed, but my anxiety can really get high some days.  I am so fixated on the unknown right now.  I am seeing my MW next Monday for my annual and I plan to talk to her about my anxiety levels.     

We got DD1's ASD dx when DD2 turned one. I had her evaluated at 15 months, three months later, because I was convinced she was on the spectrum as well. She had hardly any words and distinctly gave me little eye contact. Although she acted just fine and typical with everyone else, which was hard for me to recognize at the time. 

During her evaluation, the evaluators noted that she was actually a bit socially advanced -- but that she had a noticeable difference in the eye contact with me. When I told my pedi that, she asked how I was doing (not well) and I started going to a therapist for PPA/PPD. I'm on a/ds now that I'm not BFing anymore.

We had our second evaluated by the school at 15 months and medically at 18 months.  Once we went htrought the process with my oldest son, I knew what I was seeing very clearly.  

I'm BFing now, and plan to be for quite some time still, so that does complicate things a bit.  

What my pedi knew was that there have been studies showing that babies interact differently with moms who are under a lot of stress and depressed, and it can look like early red flags for autism (less facial affect/expressiveness with mom, less eye contact, etc.). Once I started feeling better, I felt like I could enjoy DD2 (and DD1) more, and our relationship got back on track almost immediately. 

Your third DS may be on the spectrum, or he may not. I know how it feels to have that lurking in the back of your head every day, second-guessing every interaction, testing their reactions, etc. IME, at least, having that anxiety pressing in on your everyday interactions can actually affect them, and then that feeds the anxiety, etc. 

Just something to consider. **hugs** 

I think you raise a very valid point.  I try so hard not to let this creep in, but it is impossible.  And I hate the unknown.  Hate it.  I have thought about enrolling him in a local infant study, just to feel like I was doing something, but I just don't have the time for it with two other SN kids and a full time job.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I can totally relate, just know you're not alone! DS2 is almost 3 months old, and just yesterday I had a panic attack that he might have ASD like DS1. I was 6 months pregnant when we received DS1 dx and I felt like I was living in a haze for at least a month if not longer. It is SO.HARD to not be paranoid and to let DS2 develop at the pace he's supposed to without analyzing every single movement. I don't know if I can be much help, but please know you're not alone. ((hugs))
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You are definitely not crazy. I would be exactly the same way. I just hope that you will be able to enjoy your baby boy in the meantime, although it is such a hard thing to let go after having had issues with your other children. Good luck to you and your family.
  • Options
    VitskyVitsky member
    you are not crazy...DS was just diagnosed with autism and we were going to try for baby #2 this summer....not knowing what causes it, im scared to death and now im not so sure :(  i just dont know if i could handle it
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"