Postpartum Depression

Haven't given birth yet but already feeling effects

I have a history of depression and have been on a low dose of meds throughout my pregnancy. I'm 39 weeks now and feel pretty miserable. Mostly because I'm physically uncomfortable but also, I'm terrified of all the changes about to take effect in the next week or two. My family is coming in town a few days after my due date and I'm worried I'm not going to be able to handle everything all at once. Can anyone recommend some good methods for coping with the first few weeks postpartum? 

Re: Haven't given birth yet but already feeling effects

• It is up to you, I know how you feel, I was the same way with both of my children.  It is up to you whether you want a bunch of people around you or if you want it to just be you and your DH.  I felt so much better when it was just me and my DH and not a ton of people around.  The 1st 2 weeks I'm not gonna lie are REALLY tough but it does get better you just have to remember that.  The 1st 2 weeks you just go into survival mode.  Ask for help when you need it and talk don't hold it in.  Hang in there it does get better! 
  • Thank you! I'm always a basket case at high stress times, it's even worse when my mom is around. I can even begin to imagine how the hormones will affect the situation!
  • Loading the player...
  • You sound just like me, my mother is the same source of stress for me!!!  I wish you all the luck in the world!!  Remember if it gets to be too much ask for help!!  I made that mistake with my 1st my PPD was so bad it took so long before I felt myself again.  Not sure if you are planning on BFing but you normally can't take meds for PPD while bf (depending on your dr, mine says no)  its okay to formula feed a baby and never to feel bad about that!!! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"