December 2011 Moms

EBF moms who have given cereal

DS had his 6 month appt today and we discussed solids. Originally I was going to start with sweet potatoes but she encouraged me to try rice cereal first. Right now I'm coming up short almost every day while pumping at work. I have an ok freezer stash but I can see that it will dwindle quickly at this rate. So would you dip further into freezer stash to mix with cereal or use formula to mix with cereal? I've recently added an additional pumping at night and started fenugreek a few days ago. I'd like him to receive BM as long as possible but this supply is making me nervous. What have you done or what would you do?

IVF #1: 4-11-11= Transferred 1 beautiful blastocyst I named "Nugget"
5 Snowbabies! Beta#1 4/21= BFP! 226; Beta#2 4/25= 944
DS born 12/14/11

Baby #2 FET Nov/Dec 2013

12/13 Beta#1=BFP 349; 12/16 Beta#2=1,089. First ultrasound 12/26. DS#2 born 8/8/14
Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
~~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~~

Re: EBF moms who have given cereal

• I'm in the same position.  Ped recommended rice cereal but I'm going with avocados and then sweet potatoes.  Can I skip rice cereal altogether?
  • We skipped rice cereal. (Well sort of) I gave it to him twice.  It looked gross so I decided it wasn't for us. DS probably ate 2Tbsp of it total.  We moved onto avocado and pear as his first foods.  I think sweet potato was 3rd and we've been rolling down the list ever since.
  • Loading the player...
  • I did oatmeal cereal instead of rice cereal and I only mixed with BM for the first few days.  now i just mix with water or with solids to thicken them up (but we've been doing solids for a month and a half, so our options are greater).
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• I only use 2 ounces of BM when I do rice cereal. If you dont have enough BM you can use water instead. You dont need to use FM. 

Also, I have meet people that are holding off on rice cereal and oatmeal until much later... 9 months I think. They are just starting with veggies and fruit instead. I think they called it White Out. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Adalynn Priya Marie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • imageMrsT2008:
    I did oatmeal cereal instead of rice cereal and I only mixed with BM for the first few days.  now i just mix with water or with solids to thicken them up (but we've been doing solids for a month and a half, so our options are greater).

This is what we do too. We use oatmeal cereal and I just add it to the veggies and fruits until I get the consistency I want. B doesn't like his purees to be too watery so the oatmeal thickens it up nicely. We mixed it alone with BM the first couple of days but he wouldn't really eat it and I thought it was a waste of BM so now we just add it to the purees. It's working really well.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If I don't have BM on hand, which often I don't have extra, I use water. If I had formula, I would use that instead b/c it's more nutritious than just water. I'm thinking of buying it just for this purpose, actually. I'm hesitant to dip into my paltry freezer stash just because what if there is an emergency?
  • My pedi also strongly urged starting with cereal. We started with bananas. We did try brown rice cereal and she hated it. I mix everything with BM, I just pump out a couple of oz before making food. My pedi said she used white grape juice b/c she didn't want to pump to make cereal. 

I'm going to try millet cereal next and mix it with bananas.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"