Breastfeeding
Options

Nursing your toddler while pregnant?

I'm still nursing my two year old.  My goal was two years, but I would still like him to self wean...at the same time, I have no interest in tandem nursing.  If you were pregnant and nursing your toddler, how did it go?  Did you wean? Did they self wean?  Or did you just tandem nurse?  Just looking for experiences!

Thanks

my blog: mama quiere beso
Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories

Re: Nursing your toddler while pregnant?

• Options
    I'm expecting my 2nd in February and I'm still nursing DS.  He only nurses once or twice a day at this point and I'm going to keep nursing until he decides he's done (even if that means tandem nursing).  I've had a lot of people tell me that he'll probably wean as my milk supply decreases closer to my due date so we'll see how it goes. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

a girl asked about this at a LLI meeting I attended recently. The leader said she's heard a lot of different experiences. Some women's supply really takes a dive in the first and third trimesters, causing the 1st child to self-wean or decrease nursing. Other women didn't notice much difference until the very end of the pregnancy. Other women found that it was too painful during 1st tri for them. I know my boobs hurt then, I can't fathom how I'd deal with nursing like that...

If you want to keep your supply up for him, make sure you're taking really good prenatals, and get extra protien and calcium, as well as tons of fluids. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    hey lady i haven't see you in forever!!  your son is SO cute, and yay for #2!
  • Options

imageMiss.Modular:
    hey lady i haven't see you in forever!!  your son is SO cute, and yay for #2!

Wow, it's been forever!  I'm surprised you recognized me since I had to change my screen name...all I know is isela was in there somewhere!

Congrats on being knocked up!!!

my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • Options

ha i looked at your blog and recognized you right away!

• Options

I am due mid-March and my 18 month old just weaned.  I'm just now realizing that she hasn't nursed in a week or two - crazy to think she's done!! 

Anyway, she had been down to 2 or so nursings a day for several months.  It helped in getting her down for sleep (or an occasional bump on the head), but wasn't necessary.  I really was wanting to follow her cues and mostly let her do it on her own, and I was overall pleased with the way it went.  It helped that she was losing interest anyway (maybe my supply was starting to dry up?).  Sometimes out of habit she'd ask for milk before going to sleep, but she usually wasn't persistant about it.  If she was, I'd give it to her.  It all probably depends on your child and the individual situation, but my plan was always to see what happened around mid-pregnancy when they say the milk often dries up, and then take it from there.  It just happened that that time frame worked for both of us.

Good luck!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"