November 2012 Moms
Options

Gender reveal ideas?

Hello

We find out on Friday what the baby is! :) We live in Boston but our family is in throughout Neew England so we need to share the news virtually. Any ideas for how to do this without just making a simple phone call or skype??  I want to make this cute and special!

Thanks

Re: Gender reveal ideas?

• Options

A friend of mine painted a large cardboard box black and cut out "He or She... Open to see" They filled it with balloons that stood for the gender of the baby. They video taped them unwrapping the box so they could email everyone!

• Options
    imageMandJS:

You could still do the open the balloon box thing via skype. 

But also - it's sex, not gender. Gender is self-identified. Sex is genetically determined based on DNA.

Any source on that little fact?  Kinda snooty to push the politically correct agenda here... the terms were used interchangeably for a long time.

OP, you can make a video and put it on youtube.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:

But also - it's sex, not gender. Gender is self-identified. Sex is genetically determined based on DNA.

Any source on that little "fact"?

From the WHO (https://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/)

"Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.

"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women. 

So gender is not self-determined, but really society-determined?  That sucks.

• Options
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:

Seriously? Google "difference between sex and gender" and see how many pages come up stating this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:

From the WHO (https://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/)

"Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.

"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviours, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women. 

So gender is not self-determined, but really society-determined?  That sucks.  I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in the WHO's definitions.  They are describing gender role, not gender identity.

• Options
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:

Any source on that little fact?  Kinda snooty to push the politically correct agenda here... the terms were used interchangeably for a long time.

I'm not pushing any agenda. There are different terms for a reason. And it's a personal issue for me as one of my best friends is in a committed relationship with a biological female who identifies as a male. There is a difference for a reason. Just because historically something has always been done a certain way doesn't mean it's the correct way or should be continued.  

Agreed, but this hardly seemed the place to tuck in that little comment.

• Options
    cbsh09cbsh09 member

ok, ok. I think sex/gender is often used interchangeably..and perhaps, incorrectly..which is my bad but for purposes of this post, I was just looking to see if people had ideas for how to reveal whether its a boy or girl to my family.

• Options
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:

I'm not pushing any agenda. There are different terms for a reason. And it's a personal issue for me as one of my best friends is in a committed relationship with a biological female who identifies as a male. There is a difference for a reason. Just because historically something has always been done a certain way doesn't mean it's the correct way or should be continued.  

Which is why I didn't put the anecdote in my original post. And if you were remotely familiar with me, you would know I OFTEN make mention of the difference because a lot of people just don't realize there is one. And I think it's worth educating people about.  

I've read many of your posts, and generally agree with you and enjoy what you have to say.  This just seemed a little "soapbox" to me.  But to each her own, I will concede on this one and make a mental note about it.  Sorry to flame you for something that is clearly important to you.

• Options
    imageMandJS:

Which is why I didn't put the anecdote in my original post. And if you were remotely familiar with me, you would know I OFTEN make mention of the difference because a lot of people just don't realize there is one. And I think it's worth educating people about.  

Fact.

BabyFruit Ticker Find your aim in life before you run out of ammunition. - anon http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab306/Nanner777/?action=view&current=baby.jpg
  • Options
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:

I've read many of your posts, and generally agree with you and enjoy what you have to say.  This just seemed a little "soapbox" to me.  But to each her own, I will concede on this one and make a mental note about it.  Sorry to flame you for something that is clearly important to you.

V|V TSP V|V
  • Options
    mopsiemopsie member
    Something about the phrase "sex reveal" makes it sound like something I wouldn't want to share with my parents.  Whether correct or not, "gender reveal" is a lot less dirty sounding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have created for myself a horribly over-appropriate opportunity to type "but I digress..."

OP, maybe you could send something in the mail, and write on it "Don't open until Wednesday at 7:00PM" and have them on Skype.  Then you get to see them open a sweet little memento of baby boy/girl and they've actually got something to hold in their hands.  Kind of sentimental, but I'm a sap like that.

If you can wait that long to tell... haha!

• Options
    imageMommyLuvsMe1210:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:

That about sums it up...  :::hangs head in shame:::

• Options
    imagecbsh09:

Hello

We find out on Friday what the baby is! :) We live in Boston but our family is in throughout Neew England so we need to share the news virtually. Any ideas for how to do this without just making a simple phone call or skype??  I want to make this cute and special!

Thanks

Y'all could use pink/blue paint and y'all could both be in all white and splatter eachother with the paint, and it would be very visible on skype (or recorded/pictured) and y'all would have the clothes as a keepsake! :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagemopsie:
    Something about the phrase "sex reveal" makes it sound like something I wouldn't want to share with my parents.  Whether correct or not, "gender reveal" is a lot less dirty sounding.

I feel the same way.  I am fully aware of the differences between the two terms. However, if it is something like a "sex reveal cake" or "sex reveal party" it comes off as X-rated on first glance, blame it on our sex obsessed culture or my own mind in the gutter. I say "we're finding out the sex" but I will still use "gender" incorrectly, intentionally on occasion. 

• Options

For a moment there I felt like I had stumbled onto the wrong board..... seems so mean and close  minded... but then I saw a "Sorry for flaming something that is so important to you" and I realized it was just a difference of opinion

IMO I completely understand the desire to open peoples minds to the use of terminology that historically has been wrong BUT I think in THIS case it could have been done with a little more tack... I.E. don't respond to this post but make a whole new post titled gender vs sex and state your opinion....

I feel the same way when i see someone post something along the lines of... "This pregnancy brain is making me so retarded"... I cringe inwardly as I flash to all my friends with special needs kids and have to bite my lip (or the equivalent)  from jumping down the authors throat, instead I would send a separate post or msg and maybe lay out my thoughts....(I.E. PLEASE help stop the use of this word as slang!)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options

We live in Boston, too and have family all over NE... small world! We bought inflated "It's a girl!" balloons from iParty and put them in tissue paper lined shipping boxes. The tissue paper on top was blue and pink and we taped a note on it that said "boy or girl?", then we taped up the boxes and shipped them with UPS (it costs like 3-4 bucks to ship). When they opened the box and moved the tissue paper the balloon flew up :o) We sent balloons to our parents and grandparents. It's not virtual, but it was a HIT!

(p.s. This is actually based on a strange family tradition where my mom would send me a balloon in a box for my birthday every year when I was away at college, and still to this day now that I live 2 hours away from home. She also does it for my DH now. It's kind of a joke but we secretly love it and thought it would be fun to return the favor... in a way)

image"">image"">imageimage

• Options

Here are a couple cute pic ideas you could send everyone

Gender reveal

love this idea!

We did the balloons in a box deal last time so I'm kind of wanting to keep to a balloon theme but have it be a little different each time. I also thought it'd be neat to have a bunch of pink and blue balloons and throw darts at them, the last one left would be the sex.

And deviating from the balloon idea I thought it'd be SUPER cute to hang up a mom, dad and big sis t-shirt on our clothes line and then get a little sis/bro shirt to put at the end to take a pic of and share. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options
    imagestarfish717:

(p.s. This is actually based on a strange family tradition where my mom would send me a balloon in a box for my birthday every year when I was away at college, and still to this day now that I live 2 hours away from home. She also does it for my DH now. It's kind of a joke but we secretly love it and thought it would be fun to return the favor... in a way)

That is such an awesome tradition! I want to start sending people balloons! 

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    DD born 5/15/11
    DS born 11/12/12
  • Options
    imageMandJS:
    imageSLHurst11:
    imageMandJS:

Yes

I really think it is one thing not to know the difference, but to know and ignore it just seems really silly to me. Or to not know and then learn and still try and argue it....stupid.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

BFP #3- 02/21/12 ~EDD 11/1/12  Audrey Lee Born 11/4/2012

BFP #4 ~EDD 6/20/14 stick baby stick!

• Options
    imagecredcat7:

For a moment there I felt like I had stumbled onto the wrong board..... seems so mean and close  minded... but then I saw a "Sorry for flaming something that is so important to you" and I realized it was just a difference of opinion

IMO I completely understand the desire to open peoples minds to the use of terminology that historically has been wrong BUT I think in THIS case it could have been done with a little more tack... I.E. don't respond to this post but make a whole new post titled gender vs sex and state your opinion....

I feel the same way when i see someone post something along the lines of... "This pregnancy brain is making me so retarded"... I cringe inwardly as I flash to all my friends with special needs kids and have to bite my lip (or the equivalent)  from jumping down the authors throat, instead I would send a separate post or msg and maybe lay out my thoughts....(I.E. PLEASE help stop the use of this word as slang!)

Um, on behalf of my friends with children with special needs- I would call that person out right then. Like I do IRL, there is no excuse and I see no need to be polite.

BFP #1- 11/7/10 ~EDD 7/20/11 ~M/C (bo) 12/6/10 @ 8wks ~Missing my Little Firework

BFP #2- 9/11/11 ~EDD 5/25/12 ~M/C (mmc10w)11/4/11 @ 11wks ~Missing my May Flower

• Options
    imageLollyBug18:
    imagestarfish717:

That is such an awesome tradition! I want to start sending people balloons! 

I agree! How awesome would it be to get a balloon in a box. I cant wait until my friend's Birthday- I am so doing this.

• Options
    I saw a cute video on youtube.  The couple made a video showing their u/s pic.  Then they went to BRU or BBB and started looking at all the outfits, picking out a cute boy one and a cute girl one.  They then go home and show the nursery which to this point is decorated very gender neutral and zoom in on the closet.  When they open the closet door, you see the little boy outfit they picked front and centre.  I thought it was sweet, personal and unique.  I think the cake/cupcake/balloon thing is overdone, but that's just me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagebenoitfan:
    I saw a cute video on youtube.  The couple made a video showing their u/s pic.  Then they went to BRU or BBB and started looking at all the outfits, picking out a cute boy one and a cute girl one.  They then go home and show the nursery which to this point is decorated very gender neutral and zoom in on the closet.  When they open the closet door, you see the little boy outfit they picked front and centre.  I thought it was sweet, personal and unique.  I think the cake/cupcake/balloon thing is overdone, but that's just me.

I love that idea!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"