C-sections

Getting back in shape after a c sec

What are your experiences? When we're you able to begin even lighter exercise? Also soooo hungry with bf ing..... I just am looking forward to feeling strong and healthy, I'm 3wks pp and feel so icky physically still....

Re: Getting back in shape after a c sec

• I'm 8 weeks PP with twins. Did 10 sit-ups at 7 weeks and have been adding more on each day (up to 40). My incision doesn't hurt at all, and my muscles aren't even sore the next day, but feel like I have absolutely NO strength when I am actually doing the crunches at 10 reps at a time is all I can handle still. I've been trying to get out and walk at least a mile or two every day that weather permits. I feel like such a wimp!

Gained 55lbs and lost 35 within the first 2 weeks. The last 20 haven't budged!!! I hope thats because I'm putting on a bit of muscle. I do see that my body is changing a bit for the better slowly. 

I just got a slimming nursing top from glamor mom. Even though its just an illusion, it really does make me feel a bit better when I go out. Hopefully only a short term fix and I'll get my body back soon. I'll need a tummy tuck before I'm ever swim suit ready again :)  Hope this helps. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I've had 3 c/s and I've gotten back into shape each time.

My view of what in shape means has changed each time as well. I'm within 8 lbs of wedding weight and I think I look decent for a 3rd time mom. Better than most, but not completely comfortable in a bikini.f

My best advice is know where you started and expect to get somewhere close to that after about 6 mos of hard work.

Eat right and challenge your body just enough that you can keep challenging itevery day there after. You don't want to push yourself and  end up with problems. Your body will give you lots of clues of how much is too much. With my first I started running 3-4weeks post c/s and clots the size of golf balls came out of me. 2nd time and 3rd time I stuck to walking and yoga until I started feeling better. I finished a triathalon 11 mos post partum after having my 3rd c/s. I was pretty proud of myself.

• Loading the player...
  • skioskio member

Don't rush yourself and talk to your doctor about when you can start exercise. I would suggest waiting until your 6-week pp appointment to try anything. Don't take advice here as a cue to start doing what others have done; every body is different. Doing anything too difficult too soon, especially ab-work, will only set you back more if you further injure yourself.

Personally, I only walked for the first several months. I would suggest walking once you feel up to it, but go slow and go short. Just getting out will make you feel better. Your body WILL be strong again, it just needs time. I gained 30lbs with DD and lost 23 within a week of her birth. The other few dropped off over the next couple months with just walking, BFing, and taking care of myself. I didn't feel up to starting a real exercise regimen until 6 months pp.

Hang in there and trust your body; the icky feeling doesn't last forever. 

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • I started walking around a bit around 3 weeks. I started working out at 6 weeks. I started slowly and worked my way back into it. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• You can start walking now. I walked a lot starting at 2-3 weeks and took my first zumba class since I was 20-something weeks PG yesterday (almost 8 weeks).  The class was great and I felt fine afterward.  The hunger thing has calmed down a lot lately too.  Just drink a lot. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • After my last c-section I started walking around 3-4 weeks.  Doctor said I could start jogging and doing light exercises around 6 weeks.  I attempted crunches/lower ab workouts around 8 weeks and ended up too sore to do anymore for about a week...I think I did too many and the wrong kind that soon after surgery.  I stuck with jogging and was working up to a 5k (used the Couch to 5K program).  That workout was light enough yet challenging enough to help me lose weight and feel better about myself.

I plan to do the same this time, but maybe add some yoga/pilates into the mix. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had no problem getting back into shape after c-section. And in fact ended up weighing less than before getting pregnant. I didn't exercise until 8 weeks pp and my best advice is do not overdo it the first time. At 8 weeks, I played 10 games of volleyball in one night. I paid for it. I was in total pain when I got home. Got the chills and and my stomach hurt so bad. It was horrible. That was just the first night, after that things got easier and I also worked out at home when I got the chance.

I nursed for 6 months and did not worry about how much I was eating. Nursing took all my calories and constantly made me hungry. I say recovery is no different than someone who delivered naturally. I didn't feel completely normal again for a couple months after birth, but I wasn't worried. The body needs time to heal and get back to normal.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"