Baby Showers

Registry must haves??

I wasn't sure which board to post this in, so I figured I would try here....so has anyone been told any "must have" items that they should register for?? or know from prior experience? I'm going to be registering in the next couple weeks and I'm trying to somewhat make a list!! This is my first child so I have NOTHING!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! I have the basics, just didn't know if there were anything I may not know about that would be of good use! :) Thank You!! I'm getting so anxious to start all of this!!

P.S. IT'S A GIRL!!!!!! :)

Re: Registry must haves??

• I used my registry as my "idea bank" more or less.  As I would research, say, strollers, I would stick a couple on there that met my criteria, then would show those to DH and we'd narrow it down, and I'd take the other's off.  You can use your registry simply for must haves, or as a wish list, it doesn't really matter.  I put every single item I thought I would buy for the kiddo for about a year on it, because we were planning on stocking up with the completion coupon.  Crib and mattress, dresser, breast pump, stroller, clothes, diapers, blankets, humidifier... not because I expected anyone to buy those items, but because I wanted that discount.

I suggest taking a mommy friend with you to register.  Someone who's advice you trust.

One word of advice, and you can totally take it or leave it (no one takes it) is that if you're planning on another baby soon, register for gender neutral items.  My sister and friends that only put girly stuff on their registry are now looking back and wishing they'd gone neutral as they're expecting #2.

Nathaniel David 3/22/11 #2 due 12/16/12
  • Thanks for the help!! My plan is to register for mostly gender neutral - especially the bigger items...maybe a few pink items here and there! Clothes these days are hard to find neutral or I'm just not looking in the right spots! haha. I just wasn't sure if there were any items that certain people have found were "life savers" or things people recieved that were a waste and never should have registered for! lol

Thanks for the help!

• Loading the player...
  • I agree with gender neutral large item necessities. 

Must-haves, IMO.  I'm a first time mom so I don't have personal experience with any of this, but they've been recommended to me:

A travel system - we bought the britax b-agile with b-safe infant car seat (in black)

Dr. Brown's Bottles

Medela breast pump if BFing

Aden + Anais swaddle blankets

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thanks everyone!! Very useful info!!  :)
  • imageshana+chris:

I agree with gender neutral large item necessities. 

Must-haves, IMO.  I'm a first time mom so I don't have personal experience with any of this, but they've been recommended to me:

A travel system - we bought the britax b-agile with b-safe infant car seat (in black) I also disagree with this.  Car seat and snap-n-go is so much easier to manuver

Dr. Brown's Bottles We tried 8 different kinds of bottles with DS - don't stock up!

Medela breast pump if BFing If you pump and return to work, definitely a PISA.  If you just want one for if you run errands, go out for a day, whatever, a cheap one is fine.

Aden + Anais swaddle blankets Love, love, love these.  Have a million of them.

Other items that we couldn't have lived without are FP projection mobile, K'tan carrier, and boppy for breastfeeding.

Nathaniel David 3/22/11 #2 due 12/16/12
  • imageshana+chris:

A travel system - we bought the britax b-agile with b-safe infant car seat (in black) I disagree with this. A good car seat with a snap and go is a better option. The big bulky strollers are heavy and take up a lot of space. You can get a fancy stroller, but it need not be the coordinating one to your car seat.

We chose the B-Agile & B-Safe combo. The B-Agile isn't big and bulky or heavy at all; that's one of the main reasons we chose it! And it folds up super easy! 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Check out lucieslist.com. They've got a great registry checklist and product reviews, the info is no nonsense no BS, and the weekly newsletter has great info. 

Love the A+A swaddle blankets (they're great for pretty much anything).  Never had a travel system, I just picked the stroller I thought would be best for my needs.  Skip wipe warmers and bottle warmers. 

• When I registered I chose mostly things I "need" and just a few things I "want" I felt bad registering for things that weren't absolutely necessary. Since I plan on breastfeeding I registered for quite a few supplies for that, as well as bottles and such since my mom will be watching the baby when I return to work.

As previously posted, I also chose pretty gender neutral items as well. Even though I don't plan on having more kids any time soon, if at all, I figured just in case I would have the bigger items already or if a friend or relative needed baby items they couldn't afford, I could help them even if they weren't having a boy.

Things like clothes are kinda silly to register for since people tend to buy what they find cute or stores change styles frequently. Also, register for a large range price wise. Some people can't afford more than $20 bucks for a gift so they buy a "goodies" basket of small priced items, or sometimes family and friends go in together on bigger ticket items. 

imageimage Visit The Nest! BabyFetus Ticker :.:.Dear baby boy, No one will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside.:.:
  • imageabbyful:
    imageshana+chris:

A travel system - we bought the britax b-agile with b-safe infant car seat (in black) I disagree with this. A good car seat with a snap and go is a better option. The big bulky strollers are heavy and take up a lot of space. You can get a fancy stroller, but it need not be the coordinating one to your car seat.

We chose the B-Agile & B-Safe combo. The B-Agile isn't big and bulky or heavy at all; that's one of the main reasons we chose it! And it folds up super easy! 

This exactly, it only weighs 16lbs and collapses with one hand.  And it is a click and go system that functions pretty effortlessly!

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ear thermometer. Expensive, but so usefull. Those other thermometers that go 'you know where' are no fun for ANYONE. the ear takes like 3 seconds. :)

Medela Breast pump.

Callie photo Callie1.jpg
  • Thank you all so much!!! This was a big help!! :)
  • Everyone's been giving you pretty good advice, but I will chime in on the back and forth of stroller/carseat:

If you have one near by, go to a place that has several models on the floor-Babies R Us, Buybuybaby, etc. You won't know what you want until you try it. I thought I wanted a travel system, but on trying them out, I personally didn't like their maneuverability. I also thought I wanted one brand of infant carseat (Graco) until I was having trouble getting it out of the base. I found the Chicco much easier, and wouldn't have known that without being able to try it myself.

Other than that though, lots of these product suggestions are great, but will be up to the baby to like or not. (A+A swaddles were great for my summer baby who needed to be swaddled at all times, weren't any big deal for my sister's spring baby who doesn't mind as much about being swaddled).

Register for things like a nightlight, first aid kit, baby washcloths, temperature bath guide, etc. --smaller but really useful items.

Register in all price ranges and keep your fingers crossed that baby likes what you've picked out!

• I also used by registry for idea bank.  I'd put a couple strollers on there that I was deciding between and then once I decided, I would remove the others.  I didn't register for a lot of stuff, blankets, diapers, bottles, those kind of things but one thing that I bought myself and have loved ever since is a home-medics sound spa.  It is wonderful and a huge lifesaver.  It is a little sound machine that plays lullabies, nature sounds, etc and also can project clouds and such on ceiling or wall.  It's great cause you can put on it's timer to either run for a certain amount of time or all night.  I have given them as gifts and each person has loved it and said it was a huge lifesaver as well.  Also something that I never expected to use is diaper baggies.  When LO poops you put it in this little bag, tie it up and then throw away. Keeps diaper pail from smelling.  Also you can take them with you so when you are on the go and need to put poopy diapers or messy clothes in them to keep smell and yuckiness all contained in small bag.
  • My fave infant items were:

Summer infant swaddleMe's

Halo sleepsacks

boppy for BF

Swing

Snap and go stroller frame (used this 90% of the time til DD outgrew her infant carrier) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"