Attachment Parenting
Options

talk to me about your nursing 2 year old

So, I thought LO would slow down at some point. We did successfully night wean her, but she will still nurse all day long if I let her. 

How often does your 2 year old nurse, and did you have to limit nursing sessions? If so, how did you do it?

I don't really want to limit them, but yesterday I think she nursed 6 times through out the day. If I wam not around, or if she is with DH or IL's for the day she is just fine, but if she is around me she wants to nurse a lot. She isn't teething or anything, this is the norm. She has never really slowed down...

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: talk to me about your nursing 2 year old

• Options

My DD weaned when she was 2.5, only because DH and I sent her to my mothers house for two weeks, while we went on a vacation. She was getting very "clingy" with nursing, and HAD to nurse all night, every night. She would roll over in bed, looking for my boob, and if she couldnt feel it out, she would wake up crying. Drove me crazy, because we both started losing sleep. I worked full time, but on my days off, she would nurse at least 3 times during the day. If We wouldn't have left her with my mom, I think she would still be nursing, because she never slowed down.

She was the kid in Target, that would stop mid sentence and ask for milk...lol.
    I think it's fine, if you are okay with it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

lol - I totally get the random asking for milk times. She also calls milk "gookies" which kind of sounds like "cookies" so people think she is asking for cookies all the time. Not sure if that is a mom-fail or not!

The distracting really doesn't seem to work. She will usually throw a tantrum if she really wants to nurse.

I am fine with her nursing, but I just thought it would slow down at some point. I would like to work on getting her to understand that she can't nurse whenever she wants - I don't really like nursing out in public anymore - but I'm not sure how to do that... She's really hitting a stubborn stage. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DD was at 2-3 sessions right before she turned 2 (morning, to bed, and for a nap on the weekend). She unexpectedly dropped the morning session right when she turned 2. Honestly I think she just liked breakfast food better at that point. We did the 1-2 times a dsy thing until she weaned at 28mos (I went to Asia for work for a week and it killed my supply and it was too frustrating for her to nurse when I got back).

How does your DD do with solids? Friends with kiddos like yours have had to just keep them super busy and well fed for an extended period of time which they found  exhausting. You could pick one session and start gradually shortening it and using a countdown method or a timer. "5 more minutes and then we are going to do X, 4 more minutes" etc, timer goes off and you move to said activity. Then after a few times start with one minute less until you can skip it and do the activity. ( apologies for the terrible grammar).

Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    She is really crappy with solids. : I think that's part of why she nurses so much, but I was gone for 5 days and she was still pretty crappy with solids. DH said she did eat way more breakfast, but the rest of the day was the same. sigh. 

• Options

Granted I had a baby after DS turned 2, but he nursed like a newborn (even more than my newborn), and still loves to nurse... which is just his way of connecting back with me since I don't get to play with him like before. He has only recently (2 1/2) taken alternatives to nursing and it's only if I can play with him (no food alternatives). And, he's only recently done well with not having a meltdown when I absolutely can't nurse... hopefully it's a combo of him being older and understanding better and me having a little more time. I know it's not too much of an "I'm hungry" thing, but just a need to be close (although he can guzzle it down like nobody's business!). His need for more food/not a lot of food comes and goes. I've also figured out he has a high need for oral stimulation... loves to chew on straws, bites (not always out of frustration), and I read that increasing orally stimulating food can help decrease biting (and maybe the need to nurse?)... frozen stuff, spicy food, etc. That may help with your DD, although I don't think it's decreased DS's nursing. DS can eat his weight in frozen cherries, blueberries, etc. and he loves homemade popsicles.

I was reading some articles on different cultures and breast-feeding... they were talking about nursing 4+ y/o 7-9 x/ day!! Of course they didn't say what the availability of other food was, but I figure 4 or 5 times a day is more doable fo r us (although not always easy to handle)!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    aglennaglenn member
    I think if I hadn't gotten pregnant with DS, my DD might have nursed until college.  Only half kidding.  But, as with most things with her, she just one day stopped cold turkey on her own at about 28 mths.  I am sure my declining supply had something to do with it, and she also had a nasty cold that made nursing not so much fun, but she just suddenly stopped asking.  That is not much help, I guess, except that she never did gradually cut down to 1-2x a day or anything.  She would still ask for it all the time when we were together until one day she didn't. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First thing in the morning, again about 30-60min later, before her nap, after her nap, before bed and once overnight. That's our nominal pattern, but there's a little variance, so 5-7 times a day for my 25mo old.

She will nurse less if we are out and she is well occupied.

She will nurse more during growth spurts (including cognitive developments, like talking) and when she is sick or stressed out.

If I want to keep it to a minimum, it is a must to keep her well occupie, and not just by me playing with her. 

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

ok, well it's good to know that kiddo is "normal"! 

It just seems like everyone I talk to has a kiddo who is down to 1-2 times a day. It's really nice to hear other stores of mom's who's kids nurse more than that. Thanks for sharing!

• Options

My two-year old nurses 6 to 10 times a day. She nurses about 2X at night. I tried night weaning it went badly and I decided I would rather nurse her. Going out and about has become much easier I keep snacks or water and give it too her before she is asking to nurse.  

I do nurse her in public if she really needs it, like a week ago she had an epic tantrum and I nursed her in the bus depot, I just found a corner spot and did it no one noticed. 

My daughter also does fine when with dad or grandma but if she has been gone from me for a few hours she always asks to nurse. 

I think giving nursing an alternated name works great (you said "gookies") My daughter says "ninny" it makes it easier I have heard kids say "boob" or "tit" waaaaay more embarrassing than something silly.

I do get 'fed' up some days... getting to the park or somewhere that is orientated toward her helps best... if we are at home I don't sit in the chair she likes to nurse in or we go outside.. play quiet games, I try to give her a connection and closeness so she doesn't feel like she has to nurse to get special momma time. I do occasionally hold her off... if she asks when i really don't want to I will try to distract her, if that doesn't work I give her a limit on nursing like "We will nurse just for a minute" or I will sing a song and be done at the end... she doesn't always like this but most always she complies.

My daughter eats fine and she nurses tons, I don't think nursing (especially at two) interferes with solid intake and it certainly is the best 'side dish' for any kid especially one that isn't as interested in eating.

If you enjoy nursing try not to worry, if  you want to ease up try to pick the times she will least likely fight it. Good Luck!

Little Rose is 2 1/2.
  • Options
    My daughter is 2 yrs 10 months and when we are home alone she would also happily nurse all day long.  If we are out at the park or museum, etc, she very rarely asks to nurse.  If you are feeling touched out or need a break, I would recommend getting out of the house...that's what works for us.  I do think it is completely normal for toddlers to have periods of increased nursing.  Just think of all the 2+ year olds walking around all day with a pacifier or sucking on their thumb.  
  • Options
    imagerosiemomma:

My two-year old nurses 6 to 10 times a day. She nurses about 2X at night. I tried night weaning it went badly and I decided I would rather nurse her. Going out and about has become much easier I keep snacks or water and give it too her before she is asking to nurse.  

I do nurse her in public if she really needs it, like a week ago she had an epic tantrum and I nursed her in the bus depot, I just found a corner spot and did it no one noticed. 

My daughter also does fine when with dad or grandma but if she has been gone from me for a few hours she always asks to nurse. 

I think giving nursing an alternated name works great (you said "gookies") My daughter says "ninny" it makes it easier I have heard kids say "boob" or "tit" waaaaay more embarrassing than something silly.

I do get 'fed' up some days... getting to the park or somewhere that is orientated toward her helps best... if we are at home I don't sit in the chair she likes to nurse in or we go outside.. play quiet games, I try to give her a connection and closeness so she doesn't feel like she has to nurse to get special momma time. I do occasionally hold her off... if she asks when i really don't want to I will try to distract her, if that doesn't work I give her a limit on nursing like "We will nurse just for a minute" or I will sing a song and be done at the end... she doesn't always like this but most always she complies.

My daughter eats fine and she nurses tons, I don't think nursing (especially at two) interferes with solid intake and it certainly is the best 'side dish' for any kid especially one that isn't as interested in eating.

If you enjoy nursing try not to worry, if  you want to ease up try to pick the times she will least likely fight it. Good Luck!

this sounds really similar to us. I have also tried offering "snuggles" instead of nursing, and that works occasionally.  

Thanks for sharing! 

• Options

My 2 year old loves his "Buko" as he calls it. He nurses about 3x in the night in my bed and before/after nap. Most of my reading says children naturally self-wean, so maybe that will be true for us eventually.

***and, I need to update those siggy pics. these were winter 2011. lol

231IMG_7435002IMG_7756
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"