Baby Showers
Options

What would you think of this?

My DH's family is hosting my/our shower.  When they approached me about it, they asked if there was anything I would love to have/hate to have, etc.  I told them that I would prefer it be laid back, maybe a bbq or something. 

Shortly after that conversation they went to a shower where the gifts were brough un-wrapped so that the mom-to-be could spend her time socializing.  They liked this idea for me and decided to implement it at my shower.

They sent me a copy of the invitation so I could have it for my scrap book and on the invitation it says:  At the request of (me and my husband) this will be a casual display shower, please bring your gifts unwrapped so they have more time to enjoy your company.

I'm probably over thinking this, but does that sound bad?  I don't mind the idea but I really didn't request it, and I feel like its assuming everyone will be bringing a gift.  What do you think?

Gus Gus
Born: August 27th, 2012
8lbs. 15oz. 20" @ 7:07pm
August 2012 July Siggy: Pool Baby
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Follow The White Rabitt

Re: What would you think of this?

• Options

The invite is already out so nothing you can do now but Im sort of with you.  Im very much against mentioning gifts at all on an invitation (despite this being the norm).

All that said, Im am so happy to not have to watch someone open gifts so Im all about the no gift opening thing.  Sometimes I will attend a shower I was going to turn down when I know I won't have to sit through the unwrapping.

BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • Options

Yeah I think thats where I was caught off guard too, I know the whole purpose of a shower is that its a gift giving event.  But I always thought the mention of where I'm registered was enough.  Since I feel that way, I was upset that I'm getting the credit for the whole blurb.  I hope no one is upset with me after they read it...

Gus Gus

Follow The White Rabitt

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I HATE this idea. 

I love getting multiple things as gifts.  A few swaddles, a pack of bottles, etc.  And that would look weird to bring in 5 different things unwrapped.

I hate putting stipulations on gifts.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ccamccam member
    Like the PP said, there isn't much you can do about it now!  But I don't like this idea at all.  A shower is a gift giving event and I actually like seeing the MTB open gifts. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options
    i'm with the pp. Nothing you can do & I don't like this idea either.
  • Options
    Any thoughts on how to combat the way people might be feeling?  I don't want my friends and family to be offended or annoyed...

Gus Gus

Follow The White Rabitt

• Options

While you're trying to make the focus on socializing, this just makes it seem like more of a gift grab.  You can't even be bothered to open the gifts.

While I like to see the MTB and "socialize", I also know that the point of a shower is to shower the MTB w/ gifts and I expect a gift opening.   If you jus twant to socialize, then have a non-gift party.

I realize it's too late for this, but yes, that comment on your invitations is probably going to prickle some people.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    ccamccam member

imageRabitt313:
    Any thoughts on how to combat the way people might be feeling?  I don't want my friends and family to be offended or annoyed...

I would make sure to take the time and recognize who the gifts were from - like opening but without physically unwrapping gifts, I guess.  Not much else you can do.  Just be honest and explain that you thought it would give people more time to socialize.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• Options

Don't worry about people being offended.  Some may be but any normal person will get over it.  Especially after you thank them personally and in a note.

As for the no opening gifts thing, I think it depends on what you think a shower is about.  Its not about gifts to me - its about celebrating a happy occassion.  But I also don't care about seeing someones reaction to my gift.  Its not about me.

BabyFruit Ticker It's a Girl!
  • Options
    I hate this idea, too. A lot, actually. But the invitations are already out, so it is what it is. I'm not sure how you'd combat the negative thoughts, though; maybe take a moment to actually look at the gifts from each person and thank them for it? Like you would if you were unwrapping the gifts, only you're not unwrapping? It'll still take less time, but you'll also still be acknowledging each gift, so to speak.
  • Options
    I think this is so weird.  I HATE opening gifts in front of people, but, from a guest perspective: how would you bring the gift?? What if you got a bunch of things, do you just put them in a bag? Are you supposed to just carry them in and hope they don't all get separated? This is so strange to me.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Although a shower is ALL ABOUT GIFTS it is impolite to tell guests what to buy or how to wrap (or not-wrap) them.  A registry is a "suggestion" only.  Personally, I would always wrap the gift or bag it.  That is me though.  Maybe it would be the only one there that is wrapped but it WILL be wrapped.  lol

• Options
    KarmBKarmB member
    i would still do my giftbasket and wrap it in clear bags lol

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"