Gestational Diabetic diet? — The Bump
Health & Exercise

Gestational Diabetic diet?

What types are foods are you eating, and what do you have to avoid?

I don't go back until Monday, and so I am just curious what I should be avoiding.

Re: Gestational Diabetic diet?

• My husband has Type 2 diabetes, and my understanding is that the diets are similar if not identical. Carbs are the biggest deal. Don't worry about sugars, because those are included in the carb count.

Milk and milk products are a carb, as is sweet stuff and of course bread, pasta, rice, fruit, and starchy veggies such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, peas and lima beans.

Basically, you want to limit carbs to about 45 grams per meal (could be more, it varies per person). With the whole wheat bread that we buy, that means my husband can have a sandwich and a small fruit and that is enough carbs for lunch.

Just to give you a few ideas, 15 grams of carbs is about 1/2 cooked rice, 1 slice of bread, or 1 small (3 oz) fruit.

My husband's nutrition plan calls for him to eat 3 meals a day at regular times to keep his blood sugars regular, plus 2 snacks (b/w lunch and dinner, and an evening snack before bed to help regulate his sugars overnight.)

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions I'll try to answer them!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I had this with my second pregancy. Brightening gave you a lot of good info. For me, specifically, I was supposed to have 3 meals and 3 snacks. Breakfast and snacks were to be between 15 and 30 grams of carbs. I ate A LOT of eggs and toast, peanut-butter and toast, french toast...you get the idea! I was very sad to learn that cereal was OFF LIMITS. It will most likely spike your blood-sugar, even if you try to stay within the carb-range. You might be able to eat it as a snack or meal later in the day, but it's a typical blood-sugar spiker, especially in the morning.

For snacks, my dietician wanted me to eat a small piece of fruit and 8 oz of milk to make sure I was getting enough fruit and dairy. But, I also found lots of snacky things I liked, too. I loved cheese and crackers, an apple w/ peanut butter, a sugar-free latte from starbucks and small granola bars. The trick is the eat a protein with each meal and snack to help stablize your blood-sugar. Cheese, meat, eggs, tofu, nuts and beans are "free-foods" so you can eat as much of these as you want. Also, sugar-free jello and pudding are great treats and are also free.

I was even able to occasionally enjoy  certain sweets, especially if I also ate plenty of protein or excercised for 15-20 minutes after eating it. Exercising can lower you blood-sugar by 25 points and if you are having trouble managing your GD with diet alone, try adding activity after each meal and snack to see if it helps. It was a major drag to learn I had GD. But, once I got into the hang of checking my blood-sugar, figured out which foods I could eat and all that, it really wasn't bad at all. You will feel 100% better once your blood-sugar is under control. You will prob. lose weight or at least not gain much more at all. I lost 8 pounds in the first 2 weeks of the diet and then gained 1/4-1/2 a lb. a week for the rest of my pregnancy. Not bad!

Evelyn-Mommy to Ben 9.20.05 and Emily 5.14.07 and Callie 7.10.09! Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I just got diagnosed on Tuesday, and I was pretty bummed!  It has been better than I thought, my husband and Mom are so supportive!  My meal plan is 15 carbs breakfast, 15 snack, 60 lunch, 15 snack, 60 dinner, 15 snack.  Then I have to check my urine for ketones in the morning to make sure my body has enough energy over night. 

I have done pretty well, even with Thanksgiving foods, just have to acutally eat a true serving size, that is the trick!  There is a little book by calorie king that has all the fast food restaurants, and alot of grocery foods listed.  It is great, and fits in my purse.  Calorie king has a webpage too, you can search what you want to eat.  

So far my sugars are good, except one night I included a 9 gram ice cream bar into my 60 carbs, and did not walk afterwards, and my sugar was 168.  Oops!  I find it a little hard to avoid artificial sweetners.  You can pretty much eat anything you normally do, you just can't eat as much.  

Hope everything goes easily for you!!!  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards