Washington Babies
Options

Cloth or Disposables?

Which do you (plan to) use?   Brand/style?

Pros/cons? 

Re: Cloth or Disposables?

• Options

I want cloth diapers and plan to go with BumGenius.  A trusted friend uses fuzzi bunz and told me this weekend that she would go with BumGenius because she sees that brand work better for less leakage.  I like the colors of fuzzi bunz more but my friend pointed out that the cute bright colors show through on clothes.  When she puts her daughter in the brown, people are constantly pointing out a poopy diaper.  She gets tired of explaining.

I am going with cloth for a few reasons (1) cost effectiveness - we plan to use for two kids and disposables are spendy (2) convenience - no running out of diapers and we have a w/d so it is not difficult to do the added laundry (3) ease of use - these are not the old ones used on me and (4) environmental warm fuzzies - not filling up a land fill.  I am told that the smell is less with cloth diapers because of the lack of the gel used to solidify urine in the disposables.  I also look forward to installing the toilet sprayer thing to hose off the diaper's contents into the toilet.  (I wonder how long before the baby finds it and decides to play fireman in the bathroom)

Amanda
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Looboo, just FYI a couple things- the BG pockets don't fit til 10-12# so they won't work for the newborn stage. Also, the microsuede inner is one that a lot of kids are sensitive too, mine included. I am having to sell all of ours. I don't know if you're planning to buy lots of dipes in advance but it's really not a good idea to get tons of just one kind.  You may not like it or it may not work.  Oh and also pockets don't work for a lot of kids at night, especially once they hit toddlerhood. FWIW I hated FuzziBunz and sold mine to another Bumpie (who does like them.) We use mostly WAHM brands now- fitteds- at home and overnight/for naps, along with some WAHM AI2s, GroVia AI2s, Blueberry pockets, and a couple BG organic AIOs. I really like having a wide variety of types to choose from.

image Visit The Nest!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Cloth. I started with prefolds and covers and then purchased a few of Craigslist and decided I like BumGenius. I go back and forth between what I like better, prefolds or BG but both work great for us. 

I started using cloth after DD pooped 10 times a day and I was having some PPA about leaving the house and her constant pooping, followed by crying. Luckily, I had a friend who wanted to sell her stash at the same time so it worked out well. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Cloth for us too.  We love prefolds and Bummis Superbrite covers.  Used BG and blueberry pockets for overnight and a few AIOs/fitteds for the diaper bag.  Now we have moved into Blueberry and Flip trainers and prefolds with a Thirsties cover at night.

Pros:  Cost, don't need a trash can to change.

Cons:  Washing (but I like laundry and the 3-4 extra loads a week were nothing compared to the rest of the baby laundry).  Now only 1-2 loads are diapers! 

• Options

Disposable. Yup, I'm one of those.

I had plans to try cloth after a while, then K ended up having to wear a medical harness in which the hospital specifically advised no cloth diapers while in the Pavlik Harness.  Could I have done cloth?  Probably, but with the harness disposables were much easier.  Now I'm hooked on disposables for the convenience.  DH and I both work long hours and I don't like doing more laundry than I have to.

If our 2nd does not have hip dysplasia I am open to trying cloth out but would likely keep disposables on hand for travel and emergencies. 

J + J = K image Photo by J. Shelton Photography Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We will be using cloth diapers. I have been getting different kinds to try to figure out what works best. I have some bumgenius, lotus bunz, prefolds, fuzzibunz, and a few others. So I will just have to see what works best for baby girl.

I just can't think about all the disposables sitting in the landfills!!

BFP #1 5/16/11 - M/C 5/20/11 BFP #2 7/26/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 7/28/11 BFP #3 8/31/11 - Chemical Pregnancy 9/10/11 (Worst Birthday Ever!!) BFP #4 12/3/11 DD born 8/13 Perfect in every way!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I love using cloth for many of the reasons already listed.  I do second the comment that you shouldn't "go all in" on one particular brand at first as you may find that you don't like it or that your baby is sensitive to the material, who knows.  Of course after using it for a bit, you should totally go all out for a brand that you may love.

I have a WIDE variety of diaper brands now and am glad that I do.

Also thought I'd comment that I ONLY use pocket diapers for night time just because I have the flexibility to stuff it with the necessary inserts and doublers to last through the night.  I'll also use an AIO that has a pocket to do the same thing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Also to help answer OP's question---

I mainly use pockets and AIOs.  I have some AI2's but just am not as wild about them (and quite frankly, rarely just change out the insert and keep the cover since I have a toddler now)

Favorite brands include:

Bumgenius, Fuzzibunz, Ragababe, Rumparooz, Chelory, Blueberry, Softbums

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Another CD mama here. I don't mind the laundry at all and also agree with the other ladies about trying a few different brands until you find what you like.  For the nb stage, we did prefolds/covers and nb-sized fitteds until she was bigger to fit into our pockets/AIOs.  Some of the online diaper companies like Abby's Lane have trial packages that let you try out a bunch of different types/brands for a month to see what you like.  I'm pretty sure my DD is sensitive to bumgenius, too.

Usually we have no problem with colored diapers showing through clothes, unless they're white, and then she can wear a white diaper.  I actually love all the cute designs and prints they come in!

Our favorite brands are GroVia, Rainshine Designs, Green Acre Designs, and LUXbutt (they're a newer company), and a few AI2s from WAHMs on etsy/hyenacart. My DH loves our FuzziBunz, but I don't love them as much as he does - I prefer their perfect size or elite to their standard one-size.

We do use disposables at daycare 2 days/week because they often forget and use Desitin or other creams that are terribly hard to remove from the diapers.  Around 12 months when she consistently STTN 10+ hours, we had to use disposables until we found some seriously giant overnight diapers, which are fitteds.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm glad someone posted about this, I plan on CD-ing with our first LO who is due this August and I have done so much research and still fill lost.  I lucked out with a friend who needed to get rid of their batch, all from Best Bottom Diapers.  Anyone on here used them or have any feedback?  Also, I feel like I should get some pockets for overnight use, or maybe I can use prefolds in the Best Bottoms covers?  In our climate (meaning can't hang-dry outside), does anyone have a hard time fully drying the pockets/AIO's? 
    BabyFruit Ticker If you wanna hear God laugh, tell him what you have planned! ;-)
  • Options
    I don't know anything about Best Bottoms.  Are they a fitted diaper?  Or an all-in-2?  In the newborn days, you change them around the clock, so no need to worry about night vs. day.  As for drying, I have always put my AIOs in the dryer for a long time.  Sometimes I turn them inside out halfway through to get them dry (all mine had pockets).  The pocket covers I hang on a rack with covers and wetbags and they dry fine.  I occasionally sun my prefolds to get the stains out, but I put them in the dryer first for a few minutes.  Eventually you will want something more absorbent at night.  Most people like one size fitteds with wool or fleece covers or pockets stuffed with bamboo or hemp.  Prefolds with a fleece liner and a hemp insert or two may also work.
  • Options
    Thanks @Kathzoo!  Good information, Best Bottoms are an All-in-2.  They have fleece doublers for overnight, which I think might work for us.  I'm sure drying will be fine, but just anxious because I'm a newbie at this. :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker If you wanna hear God laugh, tell him what you have planned! ;-)
  • Options

We're 2 weeks in to a cloth diaper trial (Jillian's Drawers). LO is six weeks old. I didn't want to invest in a ton of newborn size stuff since I heard they grow out of them so fast, and I love that the trail gives me a chance to try out different types of cloth diapers.

We will probably end up doing a combination of disposables and cloth. I can't really insist that everyone who diapers LO (grandparents, DH) uses cloth, and if I want the help I have to be flexible. 

I'd like to get away from disposables because I just can't get over how much garbage we have been generating since we brought LO home. Also I have a theory that LO doesn't like the way those expanded crystals feel when he pees. I think they might actually heat up a little in some brands, but I can't be sure.

I think I will end up buying several different kinds of cloth diapers for different situations/ helpers.

My favorites right now are the Kissaluv fitteds. Super-absorbent, and I love how the texture of the fabric keeps runny BF poo from going all over the place. I think it would be nearly impossible to have a blowout in these. Downside is (as with prefolds) that moisture wicks all around the diaper, so LO can get pretty wet if he is wearing the diaper for a few hours, like during his one longer stretch of sleep (about 4-4.5 hours). LO is a beanpole so he will still be able to wear the size 0s that came in the trial package.

Prefolds are nice too. I like that they are infinitely adjustable. But there is a learning curve and LO is getting squirmy so don't know how practical they will be. 

The Fuzzibunz pockets are nice. I like the snaps, as I hear that as babies get older they are able to figure out how to escape from velcro; The liner wicks moisture away from baby's skin, which is nice. Might be able to get DH to use these.

There's an AIO in the trial pack too, I forget which brand. LO may be a bit too big for the one provided, since it tends to leak out the sides. But if I can find a good deal on these I might pick up a few, if only to have something that DH is comfortable using. 

Hope this helps-- 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"