Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Eco-Friendly Beginner

My family and I are making some huge adjustments in our lifestyles and I'm looking for guidance. We truly want to strive to do our community some good and to tread lightly on our world. We also just lost half of our income as I have been put on bed rest and will not be returning to work once the twins come due to the cost of daycare for three. I'm looking for tips, advice, and ideas. I'd like to start making things like detergent, deodorant, etc. We're looking into doing a CSA subscription for food. I also want to learn more about gardening and making food items most people buy from scratch.

Sorry for the super broad question/post. TIA for anything you've got for me.

This is my siggy. Love it.

Re: Eco-Friendly Beginner

• Options

Hello! 

I also am a beginner at this. I recently started a garden myself and shop at farmer's market for most of our produce. I also have been making bread, canning and pickling things. I can give you a bread recipe or something if you'd like. I also am looking into CSA in my area. I just want to wish you luck, too! :D

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Maternity tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I would love your bread recipe! Thanks!

This is my siggy. Love it.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'm pretty new at this too.  :)  What's CSA?

I started with cloth diapers, then mama cloth, unpaper towels, and family cloth (but just for me).  Just the monthly savings from that alone is amazing!  And think of all the paper and chemicals you aren't using!

I've realized you can use baking soda and vinegar for EVERYTHING.  Laundry, cleaning, toothpaste, shampoo, etc.

I'm also planting a little balcony garden (I live in a townhome.)

Baby steps! :)

• Options
    Like the PP said, baby steps. I would suggest writing down a list and tackle it by areas; Food: Buy local, organic, DIY kitchen staples. Cleaning: DIY cleaning solutions, detergents...you get my gist. Start bu what's most important to you, prioritizing is very helpful, especially when budgeting. Check out from the library books that will help you (look at a post below for book ideas). And lastly, hang around here, although this board might seem slow at times there are cool ladies ready to give advise and suggestions! GL!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"