Pittsburgh Babies
Options

Consent form??

I have a question... We had our 29week OBGYN appt.  the nurse asked my husband and I to sign a circumcision consent form.. We weren't suppose to find out the sex of the baby :/ does this mean she spoiled our surprise and we're having a boy? I asked her and she said they make all the parents sign this form even if they are having a girl....Which didn't make any sense to me, my hubby's thinks I should stop thinking about it.. LOL obviously I can't..... Can someone shed some light on this for me??

Re: Consent form??

• Options
    MrsYamMrsYam member

I don't have boys, but I think it's strange she'd make you sign something if you don't know what you're having. They should have that in your chart. Or maybe it's just your OB's standard to get the consent form signed before the birth in case it is a little boy.

I'd be over thinking it too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    vic8504vic8504 member
    I just had my 27 week appointment and my OB said nothing about this. Though we know we are having a girl soo maybe that could be a reason why they didn't ask?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I know my thoughts exactly! She did indicate after I told her that we didn't want to know the sex, that it was a "standard". But, I think you only said that after I mentioned it to her.... Lol I dunno either way I'm happy :) just found it strange..

Thanks for your response!

:) 

• Options

Congrats on your little girl!!! :D

Thanks for your response! 

• Options
    i have a very old fashioned ob and she didn't make us sign anything in her office before either child was born, every form pertaining to the kiddos was signed in the hospital...but some newer/bigger practices this makes sense to have you sign either way to ensure they are covered if you want/expect to circumsize your lo if its a boy! congrats to all you girls and have a safe and speedy  delivery!
    Kristen&Randy Married:6/30/2007 Had Faith 6/17/2008 Robbie 10/12/2011 image photos by Oh What Love Photography and Design imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't remember if we had to sign anything (we had a girl), but I do remember the discussion coming up.  Maybe in the hospital?  Did you go somewhere else for the US?  Because I can't see a reason why they'd write that in your chart.  Hopefully you can find someone else who used the same practice.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I knew I was having a girl and they still asked at one of the OB appointments if we would be circumcising. I said we were having a girl and they said they make a notation just in case there was a mistake in the u/s. So it could definitely just be standard practice!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Missed m/c at 17 weeks, partial molar pregnancy d&c 11/30/09
  • Options
    I never had to sign this....and I am having a boy according to my Snogram unless what they told me was wrong and i'm not having a boy i'm having a girl....and they just aren't telling me if thats teh case i'm gonna be upset....cuz then....the stuff we got here is gonna have to go by by....:(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    ghdst1ghdst1 member
    Weird they had you sign it before the baby is born.  We didn't have to sign the consent form for both of our sons until they were taking them to do the surgery.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had to sign one also, I know at my ob/gyn practice it is just standard, just in case paperwork. I have a beautiful little girl so obviously the paperwork wasn't necessary =) Best of luck and congratulations!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Wow, I'm quite honestly appalled that your OB asked you to sign a circ. form at 29 weeks! Many parents are on the fence about circ. Jewish family's circ. at home. Other families choose not to circ. at all. Signing a form too early, when there is the possibility to change your mind could lead to a circ being done when none was wanted at the time of birth. This is a bad practice for your OB's office, especially since circ. is an elective surgery. 

Quite honestly, I'm leery of any OB's office that asks you to sign consent forms for something that isn't going to happen that day. They are walking a very fine legal line.

All pregnant women need to know their legal rights.  See here for more info: https://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10084 

-Deena

https://www.shininglightprenatal.com/ 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"