Breastfeeding
Options

Milk experiment failed......:-(

I went dairy free a month ago when DS was 3-4 weeks old because he was SUPER fussy all day and night.  Then, 2 weeks into it, my doctor put him on Zantac because of his obvious reflux signs.  I stayed dairy free and things got a lot better. So, as planned,  at Thanksgiving I introduced dairy into my diet again by eating mashed potatoes, pie for dessert, and some cream cheese in an hors d'oeuvres.  Well, this morning DS is SUPER fussy again.  Basically the same as he was before. So, it seems that his fussiness is a combination of reflux and a dairy problem. I'm sad......this dairy free diet is VERY hard to maintain over the holidays.  How will I get through Christmas with no fudge?  No Noel log?  Pretty much all of my family favorites have dairy in them :-(.  I love my son and know it is worth it, but this is hard.

Re: Milk experiment failed......:-(

• Options
    Maybe you just overdid it with the reintroduction of dairy? Start small and build up to more.
  • Options
    I hear ya, I too am dairy free. Some days it REALLY sucks, and others I can deal.  Do your own baking using soy / almond / rice milk and the vegan butter - it should help with alot of the yummy stuff.  Also, Oreo's are safe so they are no my go-to sweettooth remedy.  Hang in there, it sucks but with the support we can do it!

And, I don't know about you, but I still have weight I want to lose to the lalck of dairy fat in my diet combine with EBF should help so thats another incentive for me.  My big concern is when I go back to work since I'm not good at always packing my lunch - there is only so much Quizno's, Firehouse Sub, Taco Bell I can eat!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

If you are making the food from scratch, I have found that soy milk will work just fine as a substitute for milk in most recipes.  The only problem I had was attempting to make soy ice cream.  However, there is a brand of soy ice cream (So Delicious or Soy Delicious) that is really good.  They make a premium line call Purely Decadent.  I'm assuming that soy isn't a problem for your son, though.

The milk substitutes are good enough that I don't miss dairy products at all, and I'm milk-free for life thanks to allergies.

• Options

I went dairy free for almost a year with DS.  I tell ya, it sure helped to lose that baby weight!  It was hard at first, but I just searched for lots of vegan recipes and added meat proteins but kept the dairy out.  It was a fun challenge.  There are so many vegan substitutes out there that I hardly missed it.  I still eat very little dairy now.  I switched to almond milk, quit ice cream and have very little cheese. 

It is hard, but it's also worth it!

my blog: mama quiere beso
    Joaquin's hospital and Isela's birth center med & intervention free "hypnobabies" birth stories
  • Options

Bless your heart!  How hard.  Hopefully you can intro slowly and get to eat some dairy.

I can't imagine how hard this is.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"