Special Needs
Options

Physiatrist vs Physical Therapist

Upon DD?s physical therapist?s suggestion, we (finally) have an appointment tomorrow with a pediatric physiatrist.  Can someone tell me what the major differences are between a PT and a physiatrist and what we may expect?  Thank you!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Physiatrist vs Physical Therapist

• Options

IME, this is one of the terms used to refer to a "physical medicine doctor". They've graduated from med school and done a residency versus the PT's master's degree, so they have much much more schooling and training. A PT will see you for regular appts and will be getting down on hands and knees to do "the dirty work" where as the physical medicine doctor will act in more of a consulting manner making sure that you know your options in terms of therapies, services, and products that may help a person with mobiity issues. You could think of this like the difference between the developmental therapist or special education teacher and developmental pediatrician. They're both in the same area of expertise, but definitely bring different things to the table. They're also much more willing to tell you your child's motor potential than a PT will be. We really like our physical medicine doctor. I hope your appt goes well! :)

• Options
    DS sees a physiatrist on referral from our PT.  He is who writes our prescriptions for gait trainers, orthotics, and knee immobilizers.  Our PT cannot write prescriptions.  The physiatrist also administers Botox, which our PT cannot do.  
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think MG & Auntie covered most bases.  We see a physical medicine dr. at the spina bifida clinic and our neurosurgeon wanted us to see one regardless.  For us he does nothing therapy related.  He does watch how she walks, etc and writes our scripts for the devices and medications(baclofen) that he wants P on.
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options
    I am an Occupational Therapist in a rehab hospital, but I work with adults. Basically, a physiatrist is a rehab doctor who can manage your child's medical issues and like another poster said if baby needs botox or other medical management, the physiatrist can do that whereas a PT can only do the therapy aspect. DPTs can't do medical work. Although they are doctorates, the only thing they can do is write their own prescriptions for therapy, but they can't do anything medication related.
  • Options
    The other ladies answered this well.  We actually have a husband-wife team (she is a PT, he is a physiatrist) and it actually works pretty well as an analogy as well, they compliment each other but don't stand in for each other.  The physiatrist will write prescriptions for medical procedures/equipment and focuses on long term solutions while the PT is focused more on our day to day activities.  Good luck at the appointment, when I left my first my head was spinning with info but I felt relief that there was a plan for him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"