Preemies

Speech development in 29 weekers.

DS is 22 months old (or will be on the 18th of this month), and he's 19 months adjusted. I talked with his pedi at a checkup about 3 weeks ago about a possible speech delay. He told me that it's definitely expected since he's a preemie, but we'd talk more at his 2 year visit if things had not changed.

The only word he says consistently is "dada". He is starting to be more vocal as far as like vowel sounds and stuff like that, but still no other words. He also isn't that big with waving hello and good bye.

If you had a 28-30 weeker age child, when did speech start to develop?

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Speech development in 29 weekers.

• I really think, preemie or not, each child is different.  I think you should call early intervention and get them set up. The process takes a while usually and worst case scenario is his speech takes off and you cancel the services.  My 29 weeker was already saying more than 10 words at 1 and by 18 months talking in some sentences.  By 21 months there was not much he could not say and at 2 he is saying it all in sentences, asking questions, etc...  Definitely get him assessed for services and rule out any problems early on if there are any.  Most likely it is just a very normal delay and he will be fine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like PPs said, it will vary. My LO is 16m/13m and isn't saying any words either. He babbles ALL day long. He understands words. But he doesn't put it all together. I.E. He looks at H when I say "where is dada?" and he can say "dada" but he doesn't call H, dada. Our EI team said that they won't worry until 18m adjusted and they won't likely bring in ST until 2yrs adjusted if he is still having issues then. He also won't wave or clap (although he is capable). 

I also agree that if you don't have EI already, I would contact them to get the ball rolling on that. GL 

• Loading the player...
  • Most boys in general seem to take longer with words.  My nephew who was FT, is just now starting to make any sense to us and he is 3 1/2 years old.  My sister of course could figure out what he wanted when he was two, but nothing sounded like a real word.
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• My DD was a 31 weeker...she is doing Developmental Therapy because of speech delay.  Said Speech therapy really wouldn't help because she is too young for that now...we started this at 16-17 months, but started setting it up around her 15month pedi appointment.  She has always been a mumbler about everything but wasn't really saying any words.  She now probably says maybe 10 words, she is almost 20 months.  So I think it does really help but in all honesty I think maybe it is just when they are ready they will start talking.  She knows everything we say but just won't say it.  But I am really ready for all those words to start flying out of her mouth!  Preemie's are hard aren't they...feels like you are always waiting for them to do what they "should" be doing.

Andi is on the move! imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"