Special Needs
Options

*Auntie*

Who the heck are you and how do you know so much???

I just recently joined this board and started posting here.  DS was dx with PDD NOS in February right after his second birthday.  He started ABA and speach therapy in March and is doing really well. I've only recently come to terms with his dx and I'm able to actual talk about it with others and say out loud that he is on the spectrum. 

Anyway -- I just want to say I have learned a lot in my short time here and find your post to be very helpful.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: *Auntie*

• Options
    What does "higher end of the spectrum" mean? Does that mean Asperger's? I have my training wheels on when it comes to ASD. Trev's dx is so new.
  • Options
    image-auntie-:

imagemeghans30:
    What does "higher end of the spectrum" mean? Does that mean Asperger's? I have my training wheels on when it comes to ASD. Trev's dx is so new.

Hope you are wearing a helmet.

"Higher functioning" just means the end of the spectrum that comes without intellectual disability. It could refer to a kid with Aspergers, HFA or PDD-Nos so long as they have an average or above IQ. Understanding behaviors and advocating for kids who are brighter than many of the teachers, thriving academically is a unique challenge.

....a unique challenge is one way to put it!  Auntie, you should write a manual, and while yes, all kids are different, the beginning of the dx road is similar when you don't have a clear answer for what is going on.  I think a lot of parents would benefit if they could have a comprehensive, organized model to follow.  (Which is kinda what you offer to all of us on these boards....)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"