Preemies
Options

Plagiocephaly -- any experience?

Hi everyone,

My son has been diagnosed with positional plagiocephaly, it was first noticed around 3 months of age, we tried repositioning for the past month and half but are having a hard time with it. He just loves the one side of his head too much. He is however starting to roll over and sleep on his side, so I'm hopeful that it won't get much worse...but it's not getting any better. 

We gave in and got a consultation with Hanger. His asymmetry is about 12 mm. We are waiting to hear back whether or not insurance will cover it. I'm pretty sure we're going to go ahead and just treat it, but I was shocked when I asked them and they said they typically want them out of the helmets by 12 months old. My son is only 4.5 months, 3 adjusted. I'm assuming his skull is still very soft, and was expecting to hear a range from 2-3 months max in the helmet.

Just wondering if anybody else out there has had experience with plagiocephaly? How bad was it, how long was your little one in the helmet for and what were the results?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Plagiocephaly -- any experience?

• Options
    My boys both had DOC bands (the Cranial Technology brand of helmet) for plagio/brachycephaly.  I don't remember the exact numbers but they were labeled as moderate to severe with one of them having quite a bit more asymmetry.  We went in for a consult when they were 6mo/3 adjusted.  They got the helmets a month later and wore them for 5.5 weeks.  The results were very fast and made a great difference.  We were told we did it at the ideal time which is between 4-6 months.  Our insurance only covered $1500 of the $3800 for baby and fortunately their SSI Medicaid covered the rest.  The biggest pain was having to drive a long way ever single week for a fitting appointment, but I would do it again.
  • Options
    My son had severe plagiocephaly. We put him in a DOC band around 6.5-7 months actual (3.5-4 months adjusted). He wore it for 2 months before growing out of it. The helmet didn't bother him one bit, and now his head looks great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS was in a Star Band at 7 months (actual) and wore it for 8 weeks. His asymmetry was 16mm and we saw a huge change, he's got a perfectly round noggin now! The helmet didn't bother him at all. Our insurance first denied the claim so we paid OOP, but just recently got a call from our orthotics office and apparently our insurance changed their minds and sent them a check. I'm a little confused, but I'm not asking questions:)

FWIW our orthotist told us the average length in the helmet was 3 months.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"