North Carolina Babies

Let's talk kindergarten & Wake Co schools

I can't even believe I have a child old enough to think about kindergarten! We've just put our house in Durham on the market getting ready to move to Wake County in preparation for Liam starting kindergarten next year. I wanted to start researching our options to figure out school districts we're interested in, but I'm not sure where to start. Traditional, charter, magnet?

Any advice to help me get started? What are some great schools that we actually have a prayer of getting into? Liam's a pretty high strung, active child, and he's going to be one of the youngest in his class, so I'm worried he may have trouble in a class of 25 other students. Or who knows, maybe he'll mature a lot over the next year :) 

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Let's talk kindergarten & Wake Co schools

• I don't know if you can count on much right now in Wake Co schools as far as districts go. Have they said what they are going to do for next year?

My sister lives in Raleigh in a great neighborhood/ area with 2 great elementary schools less than 2 miles from her house. They were her number # 1 and # 2 pick for my nephew to start kindergarten next year in the choice selection process and they didn't get into either one of them even though they were suppose to have higher priority since they were neighborhood schools. She got into her 3rd pick which isn't going to work for them so he's going to private school.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTinyTRex321:

I don't know if you can count on much right now in Wake Co schools as far as districts go. Have they said what they are going to do for next year?

My sister lives in Raleigh in a great neighborhood/ area with 2 great elementary schools less than 2 miles from her house. They were her number # 1 and # 2 pick for my nephew to start kindergarten next year in the choice selection process and they didn't get into either one of them even though they were suppose to have higher priority since they were neighborhood schools. She got into her 3rd pick which isn't going to work for them so he's going to private school.

I have NO advice obviously.....but it all sounds so complicated? Why didnt she get into the neighborhood school? Do you have to know the mayor or something? I have no idea how it works in that area, but whatever happened to just going to the school in your district?

Sheesh! FWIW we did move from Winston bc we didnt want to have Drew in any of the Forsyth Co schools. But we didnt end up in the "best" part of the county where we are now either but its way better then where we were. IDK.....I still stick to my guns and say no matter where your children end up you have to be involved and do the best you can. If we werent able to sell our last home Id have to deal with where we were but Id know it wasnt forever. GL! Keep me posted, this topic is very interesting for me....esp since I live in BFE and we have 1 choice :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejenn&tim05:
    imageTinyTRex321:

I don't know if you can count on much right now in Wake Co schools as far as districts go. Have they said what they are going to do for next year?

I have NO advice obviously.....but it all sounds so complicated? Why didnt she get into the neighborhood school? Do you have to know the mayor or something? I have no idea how it works in that area, but whatever happened to just going to the school in your district?

Sheesh! FWIW we did move from Winston bc we didnt want to have Drew in any of the Forsyth Co schools. But we didnt end up in the "best" part of the county where we are now either but its way better then where we were. IDK.....I still stick to my guns and say no matter where your children end up you have to be involved and do the best you can. If we werent able to sell our last home Id have to deal with where we were but Id know it wasnt forever. GL! Keep me posted, this topic is very interesting for me....esp since I live in BFE and we have 1 choice :)

Wake country doesn't have districts anymore for new incoming students. It's all on this choice selection process. Basically you put your address in their website and it pulls up a list of schools for you to pick from. You rank them and then they make the assignments. They originally said 90 some percent of families should get their first or second pick but it doesn't seem like that happened. There were families after the first release that didn't have a school assignment at all. It's a huge mess. I would think they will have to revamp it some for next year but not sure if they have said they will or not.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would look into a charter school.  My girls will be going to a charter school in southern durham county this year and they cap the kindergarten classes at 18 students.  This is the first year this particular charter school will be having elementary (they've been middle and high school for years) so I'm curious to see how it goes.  I'm hoping they'll love it and we'll love it and then they could be at the same school K-12!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"