Orange County Babies
Options

Travel with baby

I'm thinking of travelling to a national park when dd is 8 months. Has anyone travelled with a baby? How did it work out?

Do rental car companies supply you with a carseat?

If you are bringing your own carseat, do you check it in as luggage?

How do you keep a carseat clean while its checked in as luggage? Do you wrap it or something?

Re: Travel with baby

• Options

Hi! Where are you thinking of going? I never traveled on an airplane when Hannah was that age, she was 13 months when we went to Hawaii. So I can't help with that part. At 13 months, she did fine but who knows 8 months might actually be easier! :)

As far as the car rental place, they do offer car seats for a charge but most are convertible seats and sometimes they run out. I would check with with the rental place on securing one if you can. One time we rented, another time we brought our own. We had a car seat travel bag and a stroller bag for the stroller as well. I think I got mine from Right Start or One Step Ahead I can't remember but they are kinda like these: Oh and yes you do check them in as luggage.

https://www.target.com/gp/search/184-9724868-2309967?ie=UTF8&ref=tgt%5Fadv%5FXSJH1060&afid=yahoosspslp&lnm=infant%20car%20seat%20travel%20bag&field-keywords=infant%20car%20seat%20travel%20bag

HTH!

• Options
    By the way Mia is sooo cute!! She is growing so fast! And we decided on the name Mia as well. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

we rented a carseat when we went to hawaii last month and it wasn't the greatest.  it wasn't really clean and one strap was loose.  not sure what other car company's carseats looks like, but we got ours from dollar.

for another other trip we took ry's carseat and they ran out of bags and the seat got filthy dirty (his carseat is lime green).  i'd def. recommend you getting a car seat cover like pp recommended.  they have the red covers at babies r us as well.

most airlines don't charge for the carseat and stroller...at least that was the case a month ago, but who knows with all the extra charges airlines are constantly making.  i'd just contact the airline directly and ask.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP 3/9/12 Natural M/C 4/11/12

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

We have travelled multipel time with our daughter: 7 mo, 9 mo, 10 mo, 21 mo, 22 mo.  We have always taken the car seat ot the gate (even without buying her own seat).  If a seat is open you can use it and if not they gate check it (and the stroller).  I am sure just bringing a large plastic bag to cover it in case they gate check would do the trick.  A little ghetto maybe but may not really need to pucrhase something special.

Our trip to Hawaii when she was 21 mo we did not take the care seat and used one from the rental company.  Costs about $50 a week and it worked OK.  But definitely not state of the art or that clean.  So, if you are nit picky, you will prefer to have your own.

Good luck!

Michele

Mom to Skylar Kayla and Beck Dylan

• Options
    I agree w/pp rental car seats are not the greatest, just an FYI Walmart sells a stroller bag on-line that you can use for your stroller or carseat, ?its inexpensive and its big I was able to fit my Bob stroller in it, and they will ship to store for free. Also we took a portable DVD player and it was a lifesaver to keep the baby entertained he loved watching his Baby Einstein. Have Fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"