Trouble TTC
Options

No sex before HSG, and any other advice?

I called my OB/GYN to schedule my HSG and the receptionist said she'd have the scheduler call me back, but she also mentioned not to have sex before the HSG. I hadn't read that anywhere in the paperwork they'd given me or online. Is this a don't? Are there any other do's or don't's I should be aware of?
S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: No sex before HSG, and any other advice?

• Options

Take Tylenol before you go.

Bring your own pad.

::blinks::  Are those tickers counting the ages of your cats???????

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My nurse told me today to refrain from sex before my HSG because I am having it done on CD11. It's no ideal but I have to get an SIS too and it was the only way we could get the scheduling to work with my job and the availability of radiology at the hospital for the HSG so I could have both done this cycle. So I'm not sure if abstinence is recommended before all HSG procedures, but I was definitely told no sex before mine.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

No one mentioned not having sex to me.  You really need to take advil before the appt.  And plan to relax the rest of the day. 

together since 2006
    full time stepmom to SS1 and SS2 since 2010
    married since 2011

TTC since 7/2011 (no planned bc since 2008)
    HSG 11/2011: one blocked tube
    S/A 2/2012 and retest S/A 3/2012: normal
    Bloodwork: normal
    2nd HSG 5/2012: clear
    Femara cycle 5mg #1 7/14/12 + IUI #1 7/23/12 = bfn
    New RE appt 8/14/12
    IVF #1 meds 8/30/12. ER 9/14/2012: 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized. ET 9/19/12: 1 perfect embryo 5dt.
    Beta #1 BFP! 97
    Beta #2 234
    Beta #3 4937
    ultrasound #1 heart beat 127
    10/20/12 graduated!!!
    EDD 6/7/12
    Team PINK!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I was told no sex!  I agree that you should just take the rest of the day off and plan to relax.  People had told me it was no big deal and I planned to head back to work right after (I work in the hospital).  Unfortunately, I have epilepsy and had a seizure during the procedure due to the pain and probably the stress/anxiety leading up to it. Needless to say, DH had to come pick me up.  I wish I would've just taken the day off.  Instead the RN had to walk me back to my office and now all my co-workers know about IF.  It definitely shouldn't be too much pain to handle but take advil.  I know my experience was VERY rare.
    2 year TTC journey with successful IVF in Nov 2012- B/G Twins!
    Baby Boy diagnosed with omphalocele and diaphragmatic hernia
    Born at 32 weeks due to PROM.  Emergency c-section due to prolapsed cord.
    Said Goodbye to our sweet Bennett after 5 short hours.  
    Spent 35 days in the NICU with our little girl.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

I was told no sex to make sure there was no chance of a fertilized egg floating around in there. They were worried that if one existed, it could be flushed into the abdominal cavity and cause no end of havoc. And a hpt wouldn't pick up a just-fertilized egg.

Other than that, I second the Advil advice. I did bring my own pad, but nothing leaked out afterward, so don't be worried if you do/don't leak. I was also told to expect some spotting, but dont remember any. GL!

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options

I had mine a week or so ago. My doc said you can have sex using a condom, but otherwise not.

Mine was no big deal at all. I was so worried about it, very anxious about any pain, but it truly was nothing for me. I hardly felt a thing. I had very minor cramps later in the day that I probably wouldn't have even noticed had I not been expecting them. I did take Tylenol beforehand, so perhaps that's why it was so easy.

Good luck! 

Me: 35, DH: 34, Started TTC #1 since November '11
    Several Clomid/Femara rounds, then fresh IVF September '12
    Fresh IVF #1: chemical pregnancy, FET #1: ectopic, methotrexate
    FET #2 resulted in our amazing baby boy Levi, born on 11/3/13 at 8 lbs, 5 oz. He is our everything!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image   image
  • Options

Echoing what everyone else said on taking tylenol or motrin before hand.

I was never told no sex before hand, but then again I was not told much before hand - other than to expect it to be uncomfortable.

Good luck! You'll feel much better once it's completed. I know I did.

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• Options
    Just made the appointment last week and they mentioned no sex 2 days before test. Good Luck!
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions 
    TTC since 10/2010 (Rhythm method since 2007)

Me (33) Sept 2012 - DX Low ovulation/progesterone, Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 5/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good;
    September 2014 DX Hashimoto's; November 2014: PCOS IR

DH (37) Sept 2012 SA Normal; October 2014 Mild MFI count 42 Million, Motility 36%, Morphology 2%. Clomid 50mg,
    2004 Cyrosurgery, LEEP
    May 2012 - HSG Clear; June 2012 - Appointment with RE
    July 2012 - October 2012 - Clomid 50mg W/ TI & Progesterone 3 mature follicles- BFN
    January 2013 IUI #1 (900,000 post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 2 mature follicles - BFN
    February 2013 IUI #2 (1.3 Mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 4 mature follicles - BFN
    March 2013 IUI #1-3 (2.5 mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, Baby Aspirin (lining thinned) TI & Progesterone - 2 mature follicles BFN
    April 2013 Benched due to cyst, May 2013 WTF appointment
    June 2013 DH SA mild MFI break for 2 months to re-test; August 2013 - DH SA 36 Mil count, 36% Motility, Morp 2%
    September - December 2013 - Mental sanity Break
    January 2014 - IUI #4 switches to natural due to scheduling conflict Femara TI & Progesterone - 1 mature follicle - BFN
    May 2014-June 2014 - DH Appointment w/ Urologist to check Bi-lateral Varicocele; 2nd opinion w/ another urologist - bi-lateral varicocele dx is slight no surgery
    July 2014 DH starts clomid 25mg daily SA 53.8 Mil count, Motility 37%, Morph 3%;
    September 2014 DH Repeat SA after being on clomid for 3 months 42 Mil Count, Motility 36%, Morph 2%
    October 2014 Me: Hashimoto's DX, DH taken off clomid;
    November 2014 Me: new RE PCOS IR Diagnosis
    December 2014: IUI #4 Follitism 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, BFMFN

January 2015: IUI #5
    Gonal-F 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, Another BFMFN onto IUI #6

• Options
    imageKdgTeacher:

::blinks::  Are those tickers counting the ages of your cats???????

Yes, I made tickers for my cats. I wanted to see if they worked right or not, lol.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I'm looking at getting scheduled for next week, so we'll see how it goes!

S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"