June 2011 Moms
Options

XP: I have a nap problem

I finally got Nikolai napping in his crib.  He naps twice a day - 10:30 and 3:30 - for about 45 minutes.  The problem is that when he wakes from his afternoon nap, he won't go back to sleep in his crib but he's still so sleepy that he falls asleep on me when we have our after nap cuddle on the couch.  He still goes down fine for bedtime around 7:30 or 8.

How do I extend the napping in the crib though instead of on me?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: I have a nap problem

• Options
    Does he wake up upset? If not, have you tried letting him hang out in the crib for a little bit? I'd be curiuos to see if he'll go back to sleep since he's still tired.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

imagedantoni1210:
    Does he wake up upset? If not, have you tried letting him hang out in the crib for a little bit? I'd be curiuos to see if he'll go back to sleep since he's still tired.

I agree with this, I would leave him in there and see what happens. Even if he was crying, as long as he's not completely frantic I would see if he would cry himself back to sleep.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imagedantoni1210:

He does wake up upset.  It's much different than his night time sleep.  He puts himself back to sleep no problem at night and when he wakes in the morning he usually babbles and crawls happily around for 20-30 minutes.  But when he wakes from his naps (morning nap included), he wails.  I've let him go for a bit but he doesn't even come close to putting himself back to sleep.

• Options
    imagegymnst1013:

imagedantoni1210:

He does wake up upset.  It's much different than his night time sleep.  He puts himself back to sleep no problem at night and when he wakes in the morning he usually babbles and crawls happily around for 20-30 minutes.  But when he wakes from his naps (morning nap included), he wails.  I've let him go for a bit but he doesn't even come close to putting himself back to sleep.

Is this recent? The reason I ask is because DD was doing this at nap time when her molars were coming in. Usually she can put herself right back to sleep but during that time, she was waking up VERY upset (over a 2-3 week period). I could soothe her for a few minutes and then lay her back down though. Now that 2 of the molars are in, she's back to regular nap routine. GL!!

• Options
    DD did this for a while (and also had zero nighttime issues).  It stopped after a few days.  I would just let her sleep on me.
  • Options
    imagedantoni1210:
    imagegymnst1013:

imagedantoni1210:

Is this recent? The reason I ask is because DD was doing this at nap time when her molars were coming in. Usually she can put herself right back to sleep but during that time, she was waking up VERY upset (over a 2-3 week period). I could soothe her for a few minutes and then lay her back down though. Now that 2 of the molars are in, she's back to regular nap routine. GL!!

Crib napping in general is recent so I have no frame of reference.  

• Options
    Are you putting him down awake in his crib for naps, or not until he's already asleep? If you're putting him down after he's already asleep, he might be briefly waking up after a sleep cycle and wondering where he's at (and where his momma went) if he doesn't fall asleep on his own in the crib.
    BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options

imagemarch2008:
    Are you putting him down awake in his crib for naps, or not until he's already asleep? If you're putting him down after he's already asleep, he might be briefly waking up after a sleep cycle and wondering where he's at (and where his momma went) if he doesn't fall asleep on his own in the crib.

He goes down awake, babbles for a few minutes and goes to sleep.

• Options
    imagegymnst1013:

imagemarch2008:

He goes down awake, babbles for a few minutes and goes to sleep.

Sounds good. I have no idea then, sorry! :( 

BabyFruit Ticker

DH: 34/Me: 35
    Married: Feb 2008
    DD: June 2011
    TTC# 2: April 2014
    BFP!! 8/29/16 --> EDD: 5/11/17....it's a GIRL!!! :)
  • Options

I agree with PP who said he might be teething. Ash is waking up wailing at night and goes back to sleep shortly after I pick him up. He is sleeping for his full nap length, but is waking up wailing. He usually wakes up happy.

He got a tooth in last week, and another one coming in this week

• Options
    If crib naps are new, I would just give him time. As he gets more comfortable there I'm sure he'll extend his naps.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Have you tried going in a few minutes before he wakes up and when he starts to stir, pat and shh him back to sleep?  A few days of doing that and he might start staying asleep on his own.
  • Options

We are in a similar situation. Just recently we have been able to get DS to nap in the crib on weekends (he naps in the crib fine during the week at daycare). Sometimes we get lucky and he takes a full nap (at least 1.5 hours) and wakes up happy, but the other times it's 30-45 mins and he wakes up crying because he's still tired, but won't go back to sleep. It's so frustrating. He's awesome at night sleeping and never has trouble going back to sleep if he wakes up at night.

So I have no advice, but I can sympathize!! I kind of doubt it's teething because I'd think if it was, it would bother him at night too.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • Options

imagejcsumm0:
    Have you tried going in a few minutes before he wakes up and when he starts to stir, pat and shh him back to sleep?  A few days of doing that and he might start staying asleep on his own.

I haven't - I'm not sure how I would know when it was a few minutes before he would wake up.  Worth a shot if I can time it right.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"