Baby Showers
Options

Shower Etiquette and infants??

I am a FTM and this is my first baby shower.  My SIL is asking to bring her 8 month old son to the shower (but her hubby can watch him if need be).  What are the rules or etiquette around bringing infants to a baby shower?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shower Etiquette and infants??

• Options

My rule of thumb is if the hostess invited DS and there will be other children there, he can come.

Honestly? Chasing him around at a shower is so not relaxing at all, LOL

I would leave this one up to your hostess. I think it's kind of rude for your SIL to even ask, but who knows. 

• Options
    The rules of etiquette around bringing anybody anywhere is that they only come if they're specifically invited. You can choose to bend that rule if you want, or your hostess can, but in general, no, of course you don't bring an extra person somewhere they're not invited!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ask the hostess if she invited kids or has an opinion on whether kids are there. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

To add - 8 months isn't an "infant".  An infant who is still SO young that they are only nursing are an easy exception to make.  But an 8 month old?  Not so much.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    imagePunkyBooster:

My rule of thumb is if the hostess invited DS and there will be other children there, he can come.

Honestly? Chasing him around at a shower is so not relaxing at all, LOL

I would leave this one up to your hostess. I think it's kind of rude for your SIL to even ask, but who knows. 

This.

• Options
    I think an 8 month old should be with his mother especially if that is what the mother wants. I can't imagine telling her she couldn't bring her baby!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

imageerikaplustim:
    I think an 8 month old should be with his mother especially if that is what the mother wants. I can't imagine telling her she couldn't bring her baby!

At 8 months old, my DS would have spent the entire time trying to get down and crawl away.  He was no longer content to be held for hours at a time. Depending on where this is being held, it may not be a good venue for a baby.

I don't know official etiquette, but my personal rule is if a child can be kept seated and quiet (either young enough to be held/sleep the whole time or old enough to know how to behave), it's ok.  Older babies and toddlers require too much distraction and would cause a disruption and should not be taken.

Nathaniel David 3/22/11 #2 due 12/16/12
  • Options
    imageEastCoastBride:

To add - 8 months isn't an "infant".  An infant who is still SO young that they are only nursing are an easy exception to make.  But an 8 month old?  Not so much.

This isn't the point, but I kind of disagree, I would call that a newborn :)

And I EBF DS until 6.5 months but don't know that I would have called him a newborn past 3 months, but he definitely wasn't a "toddler" until he started walking, which was around 15 months.

I guess this is all relative, lol. 

I had no problems pumping and doing stuff with my friends without him after 2 months or so. 

• Options
    imagePunkyBooster:
    imageEastCoastBride:

This isn't the point, but I kind of disagree, I would call that a newborn :)

And I EBF DS until 6.5 months but don't know that I would have called him a newborn past 3 months, but he definitely wasn't a "toddler" until he started walking, which was around 15 months.

I guess this is all relative, lol. 

I had no problems pumping and doing stuff with my friends without him after 2 months or so. 

I just thought of DS as a "baby" at that age. :)  He was too big to be thought of as an infant! 
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• Options

imageerikaplustim:

I can. If children are invited, they're invited - bring him. If they're not, you either get a baby sitter or you stay home with your child and don't go. I doubt her leaving her child alone with his father, baby-sitter, etc. for 2-3 hours is going to be the end of the world for him.

TTC 12/2009
    Me: 32 - Stage II Endo / DH: 36 - Low count and morphology (1%)
    IUIs 1-3 BFN, lap Dec. 2010, IUIs 4-6 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 - ER 2/8: 24R 19M 9F ET 2/13 2-5 day blasts (no frosties) = BFP - b/g twins!
    E & C Born 10/19/2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageerikaplustim:

Really?  The world does not revolve around you and your baby. If my son isn't invited somewhere, I leave him at home or with a sitter. My son isn't even 7 months old yet, and can't sit still that long, I can't imagine him in another month and a half. It would be rude and disruptive to have him at someone else's event without their expressed invitation.

• Options
    imagejessican08:

imageerikaplustim:

I can. If children are invited, they're invited - bring him. If they're not, you either get a baby sitter or you stay home with your child and don't go. I doubt her leaving her child alone with his father, baby-sitter, etc. for 2-3 hours is going to be the end of the world for him.

Yes 

• Options

imageerikaplustim:

Have you never left your child for a few hours to go do something? If so, that isn't healthy for you OR the baby.  

8 months old is a pretty disruptive age- lots of "talking" and shrieking and wanting to explore his or her surroundings.  We're not talking a newborn that would sleep through the whole thing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think that your SIL shouldn't have even asked, really. 8 month olds are wanting to get down and crawl around.  I do think it's up to the hostess, though.  If she didn't include childs name on invite I would say no.  Let her have a few hours off and enjoy shower.
  • Options
    imageshmeell25:

I honestly don't get why people would impose that or even want to bring them, other than to take the attention away from the mother to be. By the time my daughter is 10 months old, I think I will welcome an afternoon out with my girlfriends.

100x's this.  I don't get why women can't go out for an afternoon w/o "needing" to bring their child.  We just went to a  couples baby shower this past weekend.  Kids were invited (although I actually didn't realize this!), but even so - I didn't/wouldn't want to bring DS because if I do, I get no time to talk to anyone for more than a fleeting couple minutes here and there. 

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options

I'd check with the hostess if children are invited.  If not, tell your SIL to leave him (?) home.  I agree with PPs--babies that age can be very vocal/squirmy/distracting.

I BF my LO for 19 months--at 9 months it would have been no problem for me to be gone for a few hours--by then dad or sitter could feed LO solids or pumped milk.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageerikaplustim:

A shower is not about pleasing one high-maintenance guest.  Of course guests' comfort should be taken into account, but how rude of a guest to try to dictate the terms of the shower!  It she wants to be with her baby and the baby is not invited, she stays home.  This is not complicated.

• Options
    The only time I ever asked to bring LO was when DD, who is 6 yo, and I were invited to a friend's baby shower last November when my LO was only 6 weeks old.  I was nursing and didn't want to leave him home for the five hours I'd be gone.  I figured that it wouldn't be a problem given that DD had been invited.  If my child was over three months and was not invited to the shower, I would leave him/her at home with either DH or a sitter.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    imageRoxyLynn:

imageerikaplustim:

A shower is not about pleasing one high-maintenance guest.  Of course guests' comfort should be taken into account, but how rude of a guest to try to dictate the terms of the shower!  It she wants to be with her baby and the baby is not invited, she stays home.  This is not complicated.

It doesn't sound like she was trying to dictate the terms of a shower.  She wanted to clarify if her baby was invited and said that if not, she would leave him home.  I don't see how this is a problem.  She probably should have gone straight to the hostess rather than the guest of honor, but other than that, I have no problem with her asking the question.

As for the folks who can't imagine any reason a mom would want to bring her baby to a shower other than to steal attention away from the mom-to-be, really?  How about the mom works full time and only gets limited time to spend with her LO and would prefer not to be separated on weekends if possible?  

I had a guest ask my shower hostess if her baby was invited, and the hostess asked me what I wanted to do, and I said it was fine with me.  She brought her baby, who was then 6 or 7 months old, and it was awesome to have him there.  I didn't think she was rude for asking.  Not everyone thinks to put a baby's name on an invitation, even if they would be perfectly happy for the baby to attend. 

BabyFruit Ticker 

• Options

imageJuneBug0611:
      How about the mom works full time and only gets limited time to spend with her LO and would prefer not to be separated on weekends if possible?  
    But that's not the responsiblity of others to make happen.  You want to be w/ your child?  Then stay home w/ your child.

This is  "life" - there will be events in life where kids aren't invited.  If you can't ever bear to be away from your child, then fine, don't be away.  But realize that it's on YOU to make the decision to not see your friends because of this.  it's not on them to include your child just so that you don't have to be apart.

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    Just ask the hostest. In fairness, she may not have even thought to specfically put an 8 month old on an invitation. I am throwing a shower for a friend and there are several babies and little ones and I totally didn't think to "invite them" but as people have asked I have said sure. It never hurts to ask.
  • Options
    At my bridal shower(not a baby shower but somewhat similar), a friend brought her 7 or 8 month old. He was that perfect age where he could sit up but couldn't walk yet. Everyone loved him and he was a great addition to the shower. If it was a toddler who was walking, I'd say stay home. 

• Options
    If all babies are not invited then SIL needs to leave the little guy at home.  She'll have a more enjoyable time if she doesn't bring him.  Why does she want to bring him?  Especially if Dad can watch him?  It's not like she has to pay for a sitter.  Does she want to "show him off" to the other guests?  Besides...the hostess might have a small"job" she will ask SIL to do (write down gifts/giver, hand you gifts, etc). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"