April 2012 Moms

Ashamed to admit...

Hence the AE. I don't like being a mom like I thought I would. I love her....but I don't enjoy this. If I'm 100% honest.....I liked my life before we had a baby. There's no changing it now. I will be the best mom I can be. I'm just not loving this.

Re: Ashamed to admit...

• It has to get easier and more enjoyable. I won't put this under an AE, I think many new moms feel this way. Its not always "fun" to be tied to a pump or a breast or being up all night with a screaming baby. I am enjoying it for the most part but I am still having feeding issues which make me stress out and it makes things a lot less pleasant then I had hoped for.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Why can't you just say this under your normal sn? 
    i wish i could be joking but my dad is the music teacher at a church so he owuld be mad. we had sex, all the time how bad i know but we dont want to wait and he said GREAT OH KAY! and I was really feeling the wets? down there- too embarsed to say- but he acted like man.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you are a regular poster on this board, I don't think you need to be ashamed and use an AE. I think we're all here to support each other (for the most part... unless BJs while nursing or spendy lasagna are involved!). 

I am no expert because I've only had a baby for 6 weeks but I do think it will get better for you. Your baby will grow and become more independent and you will get more of your normal life back. I think it may also become more rewarding for you once your child can truly show you that they love you... infants are tough because they are just so needy. Hang in there. I think talking about it definitely will help you. Do you have any mommy friends that might relate to what you are going through?  

• Meh... I really don't like the newborn stage, so hang in there. I didn't even start to feel like a mom until probably 3+ months. They're just not really that fun when they're little lumps that do nothing but eat, poop, and cry. You get all the crappy parts of parenting without anything fun back from them. I had a hard time dealing with my new life when DS came, but now I wouldn't change it for the world. He is freaking hilarious. Every day seriously gets better and better and the older he gets the more I find myself enjoying parenting. It's much more rewarding when they can start to play and interact with you. This probably sounds weird, but it's like they're not even little humans to me at this stage right now- they're just so helpless. I can't wait until she grows up more and I can enjoy it!
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • Own up to your post--I know for a fact you're not the only one who doesn't love motherhood that much. You're not a bad mom. It's just HARD work. It will get better. I know it's already tons better for me than it was a few weeks ago. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree.  It took some time, but things are getting better as time goes on.  We all have days where being a mom to these little people is the hardest job in the world.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sorry you are having a hard time and that you feel like you have to hide it. I remember having a hard time after our first ds was born. I was not a happy camper and was left wondering what the hell I had done.

My delivery and recovery was horrid and I had a screaming baby to care for with no family around on top of it. I hated that DH didn't have a clue as to what I was feeling and he was sleeping at night while I was awake. Looking back I'm sure I had PPD but my OB was ancient and he juat said you have to adjust then you'll be fine. I think things would have been better if I would have been treated.

Talk to someone! Don't be afraid of meds.  They can help if you need it. Being a new parent is HARD but it does get easier with some time. It did for me. Also, do what you have to do to take some you time.  It's so important to be able to decompress and not have to care for a little person for a couple hours.

Don't be ashamed. It's ok. Hugs.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I promise it gets better!!! You have been given charge of a complete stranger, your hormones are out of whack, you get no sleep, you are judged by others at the drop of a hat and you feel like you are under tons of stress to get everything done. It's completely normal to mourn your old life....just OWN it. You will come into your own as a mom and there will still be days you want to run away, but they will be so worth it!
    DD#1 11.7.07 - DD#2 11.2.10 (3rd Tri Loss)- DD#3 4.18.12
  • imageDragonflyBelle:
    I promise it gets better!!! You have been given charge of a complete stranger, your hormones are out of whack, you get no sleep, you are judged by others at the drop of a hat and you feel like you are under tons of stress to get everything done. It's completely normal to mourn your old life....just OWN it. You will come into your own as a mom and there will still be days you want to run away, but they will be so worth it!
    This part was so hard for me to grasp the first time. I spent 9 months in "pregnant bliss" growing this little perfect human. I talked to him, sung to him, listened to his heartbeat, decorated a nursery, saw him on u/s pics, u/s video, imagined what our life was going to be like, etc. I just had this whole vision of motherhood in my head. Then he came out and I had no idea who he was. It just wasn't like I imagined. I knew I loved him, but I didn't KNOW him- I felt like they could have handed me any baby and it all would have been the same. I didn't know why he was crying or why he wouldn't stop. I felt closer to him when I was pg! Don't get me wrong... I still would have done anything for him, but all of a sudden he wasn't the safe and easy little baby I knew so well. 
    photo newsig2_zps17ef14af.jpg
  • FTM so I can't say how it is later, but I know its hard. I have bad days and good days. Just remember like experienced PPs said....it won't always be this way.
  • I think it really will start to get better. Newborn stage sucks imo, but I am starting to love parenting so much more just with little changes (like her smiling at me). I know once she is walking and talking, I will feel so much closer to her. It's normal to mourn your old life. Suddenly you have to do everything for another person and you never get a break. It's hard. 
  • imageDragonflyBelle:
    I promise it gets better!!! You have been given charge of a complete stranger, your hormones are out of whack, you get no sleep, you are judged by others at the drop of a hat and you feel like you are under tons of stress to get everything done. It's completely normal to mourn your old life....just OWN it. You will come into your own as a mom and there will still be days you want to run away, but they will be so worth it!

For some reason this made me tear up. We are in charge of a complete stranger! 

Op- I feel similar. When I saw a couple moms today saying they dont feel motherly I had a sigh of relief. It's soooo much harder than I thought. I thought 12 weeks of mat leave would be kind of a vacation, ha! Was I wrong and embarrassed to admit it but hey I am. 

Lillian April 17, 2012
  • Newborns kind of suck. They eat and poop and cry. When they finally reward you with  a smile, they usually take a giant dump right after.

Toddlers and big kids are way more fun. Once you can actually play with the baby, it gets so much better.

I think it really helps to remember that this is a season in your life-  it's not the time to go barhopping or water skiing, but it will soon be the time for petting zoos and storytime. I'm aware that sounds really lame, but it is really rewarding to see your kid really enjoy something you do for them. Newborns can't really show appreciation, which is one of the reasons they kind of suck.

I can't recommend babywearing enough for keeping up a semblance of your normal life. Naptime can be anywhere and stairs aren't a problem with babywearing. I would never be able to get off the couch if I didn't wear my baby.

Please don't feel like you have to hide behind an AE. I really don't know very many people that really enjoy the newborn period. 

• There were times I was so disconnected with being a mom that I would forget that Micah even existed or that he was mine. There were many more times that I looked at him and thought... wow... I should feel something more than this, but I got nothing. I counted down the minutes until DH would come home to relieve me from my hell. I love my son, but it was nothing like I expected. I can't even blame it on hormones, because it felt completely different.

But now, I look forward to every minute that I hold him. He's the sweetest, most rewarding individual in my life, and I can't imagine a day without him. Now that he can respond to me through smiles and other grunts, it feels so much more rewarding than ever before. I don't know how old your LO is (I'm assuming younger than mine, since we're at the older end of the board), but I can tell you that at least from as far as I've seen, it gets a ton better. I can't even imagine once he can DO things! 

Micah Leonard
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I needed to see this because I've felt the same way and been embarrassed to say anything to anyone. I'm glad to know that other moms feel the same and it's good the hear other moms say it gets better.

I think motherhood is overwhelming. 

• imagekatieh1017:

imageDragonflyBelle:

For some reason this made me tear up. We are in charge of a complete stranger! 

Op- I feel similar. When I saw a couple moms today saying they dont feel motherly I had a sigh of relief. It's soooo much harder than I thought. I thought 12 weeks of mat leave would be kind of a vacation, ha! Was I wrong and embarrassed to admit it but hey I am. 

It made me tear up too.  lol

I'll be the first to admit that I REALLY do not enjoy the newborn stage. Ugh.  Especially today. 

But, i just keep telling myself things will get better --they HAVE to. 

image""> Image and video hosting by TinyPic   image

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebiblionerd:
    imageDragonflyBelle:
    This part was so hard for me to grasp the first time. I spent 9 months in "pregnant bliss" growing this little perfect human. I talked to him, sung to him, listened to his heartbeat, decorated a nursery, saw him on u/s pics, u/s video, imagined what our life was going to be like, etc. I just had this whole vision of motherhood in my head. Then he came out and I had no idea who he was. It just wasn't like I imagined. I knew I loved him, but I didn't KNOW him- I felt like they could have handed me any baby and it all would have been the same. I didn't know why he was crying or why he wouldn't stop. I felt closer to him when I was pg! Don't get me wrong... I still would have done anything for him, but all of a sudden he wasn't the safe and easy little baby I knew so well. 
    This so much. I felt broken at first because it seemed I was missing the instant gushy love. It turns out my babies are just like anyone else I've ever loved: the love grows the more I get to know them. And I'm still getting to know my babies.

Untitled

Etta Jane and Claire Elaine are here! Born March 28, 2012.

my blog

What it's like to cloth diaper twins, Part I.

Cloth diapering twins, Part II.

• imageAshleyC0117:

If you are a regular poster on this board, I don't think you need to be ashamed and use an AE. I think we're all here to support each other (for the most part... unless BJs while nursing or spendy lasagna are involved!).   

I agree with this. I think it is safe to say that all of us have experienced not fun times with the newborn phase.  

imageimageimage
  • Don't sweat it girl...Newborns can be fricken awful! Just take it day by day...then soon your daughter will be off to college and you'll be missing these days!
    BabyName Ticker}
  • imageashamedae:
    Hence the AE. I don't like being a mom like I thought I would. I love her....but I don't enjoy this. If I'm 100% honest.....I liked my life before we had a baby. There's no changing it now. I will be the best mom I can be. I'm just not loving this.

I feel the same way. & throw in reflux & no help from family or friends, feeling irrational.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"