June 2011 Moms
Options

Au Pairs

Do you know anyone that uses one?

We are NOT seriously considering TTC but I just did a quick google search that they start at 7.75 p/h and work 10 hours per day.  That is about $80 each day.  Much cheaper than DC in my area for 2 kids. 

At that rate why are au pairs not more common?  Am I missing something with the math here?

I only know one one person that used one and that was almost 20 yrs ago.

ETA: Any opinion you have on au pairs is appreciated.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Au Pairs

• Options
    Look into what the fees are. Also, for an AuPair it is typically assumed that you would provide shelter and transportation. I have a few friends that at one point were Au Pairs, the enjoyed it. I believe Mamabear has one..
  • Options
    I think the rate is fairly inexpensive because you are also providing them with room and board. A lot of people don't have the room for another person in their house. Personally, I would want to be able to provide an Au Pair with a seperate bedroom and a bathroom. A friend of a friend uses Au Pairs. I think they have had good experiences and some not so good ones. Even though you interview someone beforehand, there is still a chance that they might not mesh with your family, KWIM?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member
    We have an extra car and exta bed rooms.  Hmm this is sounding better and better!  Did all your  Au Pair friends Au Pair for the same company?  If so I would LOVE it if you can PM me the name
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member

imageJavaVino910:
     A lot of people don't have the room for another person in their house. Personally, I would want to be able to provide an Au Pair with a seperate bedroom and a bathroom. 

This part is no problem for us. We have an in law suite that was supposed to be for my mom to watch LO but then her mom got sick and she has since left the country.

imageJavaVino910:
    Even though you interview someone beforehand, there is still a chance that they might not mesh with your family, KWIM? 

This is more the part I am afraid of. 

• Options

I used to babysit part time for a family that had an au pair (I was in high school so it was just the occasional thing for me, that had the au pairs there for regular scheduled daytime).

They seemed to have some good experiences. A few negative ones, but nothing dangerous or anything, just a couple of au pair's that didn't mesh well like PP said, so they mutually decided to end the arrangement and work with someone new. I remember all the girls being really nice, iffy with english, but good with the kids.

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageLaRue86:
    Look into what the fees are. Also, for an AuPair it is typically assumed that you would provide shelter and transportation. I have a few friends that at one point were Au Pairs, the enjoyed it. I believe Mamabear has one..

Yup!  I did (and still would if DH didn't lose his job).  We love having an au pair for many reasons.  We are saving back up and hopefully will have one again after the Summer.  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options
    cvl105cvl105 member

I had an au pair for a year when I was younger. While it's a great deal (and very fun for the kids)....it's invasive. They live with you. You have to provide them a car/transportation on the weekends, etc.

ETA: I see that someone already mentioned the things above. So if those things don't bother you...it's probably a great idea for you!

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member
    imagecvl105:

I had an au pair for a year when I was younger. While it's a great deal (and very fun for the kids)....it's invasive. They live with you. You have to provide them a car/transportation on the weekends, etc.

ETA: I see that someone already mentioned the things above. So if those things don't bother you...it's probably a great idea for you!

How old were you at the time.  Did you feel like your home was invaded by a stranger?  Was it weird at all.  How did you handle it when she left?

• Options
    imagecvl105:

You actually are not required to provide them with transportation, it's a perk, and should be discussed before your au pair gets to your home.  If you don't require them to drive for work, you don't need to let them drive at all, and if you do have them drive for work you can limit when they use your car when they are not working.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

imagevigurl:
    We have an extra car and exta bed rooms.  Hmm this is sounding better and better!  Did all your  Au Pair friends Au Pair for the same company?  If so I would LOVE it if you can PM me the name

I dont know if they came through the same company or not. I will send one of them a message and find out which company she worked for.

• Options
    cvl105cvl105 member
    imagevigurl:
    imagecvl105:

How old were you at the time.  Did you feel like your home was invaded by a stranger?  Was it weird at all.  How did you handle it when she left?

I was young. 1st grade maybe. I don't recall feeling like our home was invaded, but I don't think I would remember how I felt in the beginning. I know that I LOVED her and we had a great time with her. I wish we kept in contact. Would be so much easier nowadays with the internet, etc. I often wish I knew her last name now so that I could search for her on facebook!

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    cvl105cvl105 member
    imageMammaBear81:
    imagecvl105:

You actually are not required to provide them with transportation, it's a perk, and should be discussed before your au pair gets to your home.  If you don't require them to drive for work, you don't need to let them drive at all, and if you do have them drive for work you can limit when they use your car when they are not working.

oh ok. I was just going off what my mom told me. I guess she just must have felt like she needed to provide a car (or maybe the company she went through was different?). Otherwise she'd be stuck at our house on the weekends the entire time she was with us. I guess if you live near public transportation, that's a good option too. We did not live anywhere near public transportation.

~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Options
    vigurlvigurl member
    imagecvl105:
    imageMammaBear81:
    imagecvl105:

oh ok. I was just going off what my mom told me. I guess she just must have felt like she needed to provide a car (or maybe the company she went through was different?). Otherwise she'd be stuck at our house on the weekends the entire time she was with us. I guess if you live near public transportation, that's a good option too. We did not live anywhere near public transportation.

I would have to provide a car for sure.  I don't want her stuck in our house 24/7 and there is no public transporation near us...similar situation!!

• Options
    vigurlvigurl member
    imagecvl105:
    imagevigurl:
    imagecvl105:

I was young. 1st grade maybe. I don't recall feeling like our home was invaded, but I don't think I would remember how I felt in the beginning. I know that I LOVED her and we had a great time with her. I wish we kept in contact. Would be so much easier nowadays with the internet, etc. I often wish I knew her last name now so that I could search for her on facebook!

Aww .. You know your mom could probably dig something up with her last name for you

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"