June 2011 Moms
Options

Any ladies here have a VBAC?

I'm not pregnant but DH and I are thinking of trying in February and I've been thinking about this pretty much since I had Alexis. I had to have an emergency C-section because I had developed HELLP Syndrome.

I was very upset about having to have a c-section and would love to be able to have a VBAC next time. I know it may not happen that way if the HELLP syndrome develops again next time but I've been hearing a lot of negative stuff about VBACs and it's bringing me down so I would love to know if any of you ladies have had a successful one before and what your experience was with it. TIA. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any ladies here have a VBAC?

• Options
    So glad you posted this DH and I were both talking about this yesterday.  I had a c-section but the idea of the recovery and the risk (although there are lots either way VBAC or c-section in general) I would love to just be able to do VBAC.  Hopefully someone will chime in.
    **February 20th, 2010 I Married My Best Friend and June 5th, 2011 My Soulmate Was Born** image Lilypie First Birthday tickers imageimageimage
  • Options

I did not have a c-section, but I wanted to say how sorry I am about ppl giving bringing you down. You may want to check out the natural birth board for some advice even if you are not planning a natural birth they are a wealth of knowledge. Also check out ican its a site full of information about vbac I wish I had the site still booked marked for you. Just because you had a c-section doesn't mean you automatically have to have another one.

Good Luck and I hope you find the right answers you need.

Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I didn't have a c/s but my friend had one with her first and her second was delivered via VBAC. (and she was 2u2 also)

She and I talked in depth about it and she had a very good experience. She had originally been scheduled for a repeat c/s but went into labor about 3 days before and when she got to the hospital she told her doctor I went into labor naturally so I wanna see where it gos. Her only issues with the VBAC was she had 3rd degree tear. Besides that she and her DD were both great.

Personally I wouldn't let other people discourage you or try to talk you out of it. If its something you want and its medically safe  I say go for it.

• Options
    I didn't have a c-section but I know that my hospital offered VBAC classes and they mentioned at one of my birthing classes that they have a very high success rate and many moms with c-sections have VBAC with the second. In fact, they highly encouraged moms to try and not get discouraged if they had to have an emergency c-section the first time. My friend had a c-section with her first and plans on a VBAC for her second.
  • Options

There are risks to a VBAC, but there are risks to having another C-section. Also, if you want to have more than one more child, a VBAC would be better for you this time around.. at least that is how my OB explained it. She said if I wanted 1 more child (two total) I could have a VBAC or a c-section, but if I wanted 2 more children, she was strongly advising me to try a VBAC.

Best of luck to you in whichever decision you make. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had an emergency c section  at 9.5 cm. I'm pretty sure I would be the perfect candidate for a VBAC as I was having the perfect labor before LOs HR kept dropping. The new practice I just switched too is VBAC friendly but the doctor I seen did not seem very VBAC friendly at all. He made some comment about how he doubts VBACs will be allowed anywhere much longer. There are 5 in the practice so hopefully the others feel differently. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do but I am not preg with #2 yet either. Maybe try the VBAC board.
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section because of HELLP Syndrome in my first pregnancy as well.  I had a completely healthy, although I checked my own BP levels like a crazed woman, and was able to successfully VBAC.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Here you dont have an option you will VBAC unless its needed (breech baby etc). So my next will be VBAC unless something goes wrong.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Options
    image11kacey:

There are risks to a VBAC, but there are risks to having another C-section. Also, if you want to have more than one more child, a VBAC would be better for you this time around.. at least that is how my OB explained it. She said if I wanted 1 more child (two total) I could have a VBAC or a c-section, but if I wanted 2 more children, she was strongly advising me to try a VBAC.

Best of luck to you in whichever decision you make. 

My dr. recommended the same.  After two c-sections you must have c-sections and I know someone who had three c-sections and was told she will be considered high risk if she has anymore children.  Her OB told her they would not take her back in the practice unless she had her tubes tied during the third c-section.  Personally I've never heard that, but she decided not to get her tubes tied. 

• Options

imagejustme04:
    I had an emergency c-section because of HELLP Syndrome in my first pregnancy as well.  I had a completely healthy, although I checked my own BP levels like a crazed woman, and was able to successfully VBAC.

That makes me feel a lot better. I'm assuming you didn't develop HELLP syndrome that second time around. I have definitely decided I want to go for a VBAC next time around, we plan on having more than 2 kids. I have done a lot of research on the subject and everything I have read has said that the success rates for a VBAC are very good, I have just had some people be very negative about it and it's frustrating more than anything. I had a perfectly healthy pregnancy up until I developed HELLP syndrome, so I am hoping next time it will be just as healthy and I will definitely have my doctor and I monitoring everything closely. There is nothing I want more than to have a natural vaginal birth.

Thanks for all the kind words lady. 

• Options

imagejanbc06:
    I had an emergency c section  at 9.5 cm. I'm pretty sure I would be the perfect candidate for a VBAC as I was having the perfect labor before LOs HR kept dropping. The new practice I just switched too is VBAC friendly but the doctor I seen did not seem very VBAC friendly at all. He made some comment about how he doubts VBACs will be allowed anywhere much longer. There are 5 in the practice so hopefully the others feel differently. I'm still not 100% sure what I want to do but I am not preg with #2 yet either. Maybe try the VBAC board.

I did not have a c/s, but I have heard that VBACs can be very dangerous.I don't know if this is correct information, but I have heard that the mother has a high risk of her uterus rupturing....?  Most doctors in my area won't even preform them. I have only ever been told that if you have a c/s, that the safest thing for mom and baby is to have another one. I haven't ever heard of the "more than 2 than have a vbac" rule (not saying that is isn't true). My mom had 3 c/s and is fine. She is also in control of her bladder and didn't have her bottom ripped to he**, like me. Ha.

I would make sure that you find out a lot of information on both vbac and repeat c.s just to be sure. Again, I have zero experience or knowledge, I just thought they were not looked upon highly by doctors (but I could definitely be wrong!)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemagnoliablossom00:

imagejanbc06:

I did not have a c/s, but I have heard that VBACs can be very dangerous.I don't know if this is correct information, but I have heard that the mother has a high risk of her uterus rupturing....?  Most doctors in my area won't even preform them. I have only ever been told that if you have a c/s, that the safest thing for mom and baby is to have another one. I haven't ever heard of the "more than 2 than have a vbac" rule (not saying that is isn't true). My mom had 3 c/s and is fine. She is also in control of her bladder and didn't have her bottom ripped to he**, like me. Ha.

I would make sure that you find out a lot of information on both vbac and repeat c.s just to be sure. Again, I have zero experience or knowledge, I just thought they were not looked upon highly by doctors (but I could definitely be wrong!)

I'm not necessarily pro-VBAC but I am considering it, but "high risk of uterine rupture" isn't even close to accurate. It's actually >1%. So. Yeah. 

• Options

I will be unable to have a VBAC, but if I could I would. There are risks, but there are also risks with having another c/s. There is also a VBAC board, so you may be able to find additional insight there.

Since having my CS we have found that I fall into the very small percentage of women who cannot deliver a baby vaginally regardless of the size of the baby. I have such a curvature in my low back that once baby grows above the curve they are unable to drop below the curve and there for the curve blocks them from every dropping. As much as I would love to have a VBAC I know I dont have another option. I saw go for it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"