Health & Exercise

MapMyRun app problem--help?

Hi there!  I don't usually post on this board, but I lurk.

Recently, there was a post where several people recommended MapMyRun, so I got that on my Android.  I usually use Livestong.com's Loops feature to plan my run routes and mileage, and my Polar HRM to calculate splits, etc.

Last week Loops said that my mileage was 8 miles.  MMR said that it was nearly 12!  When I looked at the map the route had created, there were zig zags where I had run straight. 

Anyone have any insight to this?  TIA! 

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16

Re: MapMyRun app problem--help?

• I usually lurk around here too, but as I have a love-hate relationship with MMR I'll chime in. 

I've had a lot of issues with MMR adding on extra miles or the gps dropping. I think the worst was when it decided to add an extra 100 miles on, just for kicks. Sometimes I think turning off my 4G (so the phone only uses 3G service) helps a bit, although I have still had that problem, albeit more rare.

One of the new features they've just added is the ability to pre-map your run. Go online and map out your run on their site (which is what I'm assuming you do through Livestrong), then save it. A little box with pop up asking if you want to share it to your phone. Click that and it will send you an email with a link. Open the email on your phone and click on the link. It will automatically start downloading the route to your MMR app. When you go into MMR and hit "Record", the route title should show up next to "route". I've had luck with this the past few times I've tried it, but my DH still had issues on Sun. So that looks like it may be better but still hit or miss?

I've also tried CardioTrainer and RunKeeper apps and have had the same issue with both, so it may just be the phone's gps.

BFP 5.21.12 ~~ Born 1.28.13
    BFP 8.14.15 ~~ Due 4.22.16
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks!

In case anyone else is looking for the answer--I found it.  You have to uninstall MMR from your phone, then reinstall.  You also have to disable WiFi, and enable both your service's GPS and standalone GPS.  Now, I'm running straight, at least according to the program.  

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"