Parenting after 35
Options

What was your first 45/record?

When my brothers were born in '79 (twins) my mom gave me a radio to keep me busy - so that's the year my musical memories begin. A few years later I really, really fell in love with a song and finally understood I could own it. My parents had no idea what song I was talking about and came home with Pat Benetar's "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" - but I thought she was singing, "fire in the pet shop!"

OK, so I made them return that cruel song and finally they figured out me singing random lyrics and got the one I wanted most of all: "Words."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IasCZL072fQ&ob=av2e

It's still one of my favorites ;D 

Re: What was your first 45/record?

• Options

Wow.. that's tough.

I recall having a record of Goofy Greats or something like that.  Lots of silly songs like "The Streak" and some other 60s and 70s novelty songs.

45s?  Hm... I think I bought Escape/The Pina Colada Song when I was in Jr. High.  "If you like Pina Coladas.. gettin' caught in the rain..."

I did buy cassettes... probably Duran Duran or Men at Work.

I do know my first two CDs were bought in the 90s... Too Much Joy's Cereal Killers and the SoupDragons.. I think?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    steverstever member

My first 45 was Monster Mash, first album was Mickey Mouse Disco. Not sure which came first.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagestever:

My first 45 was Monster Mash, first album was Mickey Mouse Disco. Not sure which came first.

Mine too!! My mom sold it at a garage sale (so pissed), and I've been trying to find a copy for the kids.. Disco Duck rocked. Can't remember what my first 45 was, Chuck E's in Love, maybe? I'll have to go look in the box, I still have it.

• Options
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imagestever:

Mine too!! My mom sold it at a garage sale (so pissed), and I've been trying to find a copy for the kids.. Disco Duck rocked. Can't remember what my first 45 was, Chuck E's in Love, maybe? I'll have to go look in the box, I still have it.

DISCO DUCK! whoa, yeah. I had the New Year's Eve Party album, I think that's what it was called? 

• Options

Remember when Scholastic Books had records that came along with the books? I had some of those. I know I had records before that, but they were random kids' songs ones...like, "I went to the animal fair," etc.

My first "big" record was The Cars one that had "You Might Think" on it...

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    steverstever member
    Yes
    imageurbanflowerpot:
    Yes
  • Options
    imagegimmietimmies:
    imagestever:

I forgot about that albulm!  I just checked. It's available

On iTunes.   

• Options
    I had a bunch of read along book/records.  I think my first full album was the Grease soundtrack.  By the time I was getting my own music we were buying cassettes.
  • Options
    Centerfold by the J. Giles Band. :) I had no idea what it was about.
  • Options
    My mom had a huge collection of 50s and 60s 45s we used to listen to...loved Rock the Boat and Do Wa Diddy Diddy.  We also had a couple of Chipmunks Christmas records which we played year round.  Used to drive my mom crazy with them.
  • Options
    PeskyPesky member
    It wasn't a 45 but it was a tape in the late 70s.  It was Donna Summer (RIP) and it had Hot Stuff and Bad Girls.  It rocked.  

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• Options

My first 45 was "Angie" by the Rolling Stones. I don't know how old I was (pretty young) or why I picked that one particularly. Now when I hear that song on the radio though, it brings me back and I love it.

THe next 45 I remember getting was Blue Jean (Bowie) which I remember picking out because the vinyl was blue.

• Options
    I had a tower of kids records that we got used at a garage sale.  But the first record I bought myself was Blondie's The Tide Is High.

• Options
    KL777KL777 member
    I think mine would have to be "Hey, it's your birthday!" songs.  I don't remember having alot of records.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    Couldn't tell what the first single was, but I think if I recall correctly, the first record was Men at Work.  Or the one with 'Pacman Fever' on it.  Can't remember which.  First cassette tape was either Pat Benatar of Van Halen.
  • Options

Walk like an Egyptian with We got the Beat on the other side!

Total Awesomeness! 

imageimage
  • Options

Walk like an Egyptian with We got the Beat on the other side!

Total Awesomeness! 

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"