Natural Birth

Hospital Transfer Birth Plan

I am going to have my baby at a birth center.  We are asked to think about a birth plan in case we are transferred to the hospital.  The most common reason for transfer is failure to progress, so I would be transferred for Pitocin or Cervadil.  If I am transferred, it is because I really need to be, so a regular natural birth plan isn't really pertinent.

I've thought of not having any mention of pain medication, but that is about it.  I will probably have to have an IV due to the medications, have constant monitoring, and have my movement restricted due to the IV.

Has anyone thought about this or have any ideas to help?  Thanks! 

Re: Hospital Transfer Birth Plan

• Usually you can move with the IV it is just a headache because you have to take the pole with you. The only time I was restricted ws after my water broke. As far as constant monitoring they would take mine off so I could get up and walk untill my water broke. SO I think the most important thing is to find where they will transfer you too and ask about the facilities policies
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with PP about finding out about the hospital's policies. My water was broken, and I wasn't restricted in the slightest. Also, you shouldn't need an IV for Cervidil - that is not an IV med. I'd probably include your wishes for after the birth, as well as for the case of an emergency c-section.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I think you're on the right track with "If I'm transfered its because I really need to be". That will mean you need help & it does mean giving up freedoms of a birth center.

They should know you only want the needed interventions to get your baby out safely if you're transfered from a birth center.

Cervadil is for cervical ripening, you will be past that point if you need a transfer. It would probably be Pit & with that you do need an IV, monitoring. Thats about it. You should still be able to change positions in & around the bed, standing & squatting, etc.

Why don't you keep it simple with wanting to choose positions, still drink fluids & what you want when baby is out- skin to skin, no taking baby away to do weights, shots,etc. Keep it really short so they are more likely to follow it.

Good luck- hopefully- this is a needless conversation!

TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am planning a natural birth in hospital. The only part in my birth plan that is going to specifically address interventions is what I want to happen in the event of a c-section- who is in the room, getting immediate skin to skin and bfing, for instance. Once interventions like pitocin start, iv and monitoring are pretty much going hand in hand and there aren't as many preferences for how it happens. 

IVF #1 ET 1 d3 embryo 10/30/11 BFP
    3 Embryos frozen (1 d5, 2 d6)

DS born 07/29/12

FET #1 ET 1 d5 embryo 02/10/15 BFN

FET #2 1 d6 embryo didn't survive thaw, transferred last d6. CP :(

• You already received some good advice from the other ladies. One thing I didn't see mentioned might be mother directed pushing.

ETA: Oh, how about delayed clamping of the cord.

Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Thanks for your help. I ended up with 3 different plans. One if I go into labor before 37 weeks, one if I'm transferred during labor, and one if I need a c-section. Hopefully none will be needed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"