Natural Birth
Options

Episiotomy and natural birth

I plan on going for a med free birth but should I need an episiotomy, do you know if they will at least numb the area first?

Probably a dumb question but Im a FTM.

Re: Episiotomy and natural birth

• Options

They can do a "pressure episiotomy", where they make the cut when baby's head is putting pressure on the area so you're already naturally numb.

Or you could request to tear naturally rather than getting a cut. 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

If you actually need one, I assume you'll be in a state where you won't feel it.

It's better to tear. And I say that as a woman that had a third degree tear.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MSC03MSC03 member
    Another vote for tearing over episiotomy. If you actually need one they probably won't give you a shot when they cut, but they probably will for stitching you back up.
    imageimage
  • Options

yes you get a needle to freeze the area.

(I did anyways), the doctor did something and asked if I could feel it, I said yes so he froze it. 

• Options
    skyejoskyejo member

I got one with DD and nope, no numbing at all.  It didn't feel nearly as bad as trying to push DD out.

I was pushing for a while and was begging my MW to get the baby out.  She said that while she knew I wanted to avoid an episiotomy that if she did it the baby would be out in two pushes.  I didn't hesitate saying yes and sure enough, DD was born two pushes later.

I did get a numbing shot to sew it up. 

• Options
    With my second (unmedicated labor/delivery) I had to have an episiotomy and ended up getting a pressure episiotomy and didn't feel a thing.  I did get numbing medicine for them to assess the cut/tear after, but it didn't bother me while I was pushing.
    Two boys already - ages 5 and 3...

...baby #3 is here...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I received a number shot before mine. FWIW, my episiotomy was no big deal (but it was also very minor) and didn't hinder my recovery in the slightest. 

I should also add that I did have an epidural but it had with off (long labor) a couple hours prior to delivery.  

• Options
    I had an episiptomy and didn't feel the cut at all. I know my OB didn't numb the area until after the baby was out to stitch me up. There is just a lot going on down there already, so you don't even feel the snip. I would highly suggest avoiding a episiotomy unless it becomes a "need to get the baby out NOW" type of senario. My recovery was BAD. I was crying during sexytime for months PP bc it felt like I was ripping open all over again. :( FWIW, I said no to an episiotomy, but my OB didn't drop it, so I consented. I will refuse episiotomies in the future unless it becomes an emergency.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • Options
    steverstever member
    I tore and didn't feel it. Not only is tearing better re recovery, it seems less traumatic to me anyway.
  • Options

I needed an episiotomy with my first (it was very much needed), and I was numbed before cut.   Most of the time it's better to tear, though.  With my second two, I tore (very small tears - less than 1 cm).

• Options
    imageSage4200:

I plan on going for a med free birth but should I need an episiotomy, do you know if they will at least numb the area first?

Probably a dumb question but Im a FTM.

Thanks for asking this - I've always wondered, too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had an episiotomy in a "need to get the baby out now" situation (otherwise they would have just let me tear) and they did give me a needle for freezing about 1 minute before the cut. I'm pretty sure the needle for freezing was so it would be working before they started stitching me and not anything to do with the cut at all. In my experience, I can honestly say that the cut was by far the worst part of labor or delivery - it was the only thing during the whole process that really hurt (during the whole labor/delivery I kept saying "I really though this was going to hurt more"). That being said, the cut was also over quite quickly so it was severe pain for a moment or two.  I had the episiotomy and also tore - 2nd degree. I had at least 25 stiches (all internal) and had to have two more stiches 2 weeks after the birth due to poor healing (I did this without any freezing either since I would have had to have two needle pokes just to get 4 stich pokes - overall not pleasant but not horrible either) . The incision/epi area took 9 weeks to heal and stop bleeding.  

1st M/C-November 29/09@11w~~DS-Born December 17/10~~2nd M/C-January 11/12@8w2d BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    aetgaetg member
    imageAshNish:

In my experience, I can honestly say that the cut was by far the worst part of labor or delivery - it was the only thing during the whole process that really hurt

This one hundred times.  I would like to think they numbed me for it, but it didn't feel like it.  Didn't really numb me for the stitches either.  Did I mention they didn't ask either?  It really slowed down my pushing/ birthing as I wasn't expecting it at all. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

After 2 & 1/2 hours of pushing with no tearing, I had one.  I was almost (okay, I was) relieved when my MW suggested that if we didn't make any progress with trying one or two different positions again it might be necessary.  

They gave me a shot, and then made the cut during a contraction...which we'd had to wait for since my contractions were really slowing down by that point. It didn't hurt, but the shot after for stitches stung a bit.  

~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My husband thinks they did give me a shot before the mw cut me.  I don't really remember.  I know that I had been pushing ofr over 3 hours.  LO's head was there, but no matter how hard I pushed, I just wouldn't stretch at.all.  So, she said she had to perform an episiotomy.  I know she gave me a shot before stitching it up.  I healed just fine.  I used frozen maxi pads and sitz baths. 

I guess it looks like I am in the minority here because I didn't find it that bad or painful.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"