Baby Showers

thought some of you may find this helpful :)

i think this is adorable!

V|V TSP V|V

Re: thought some of you may find this helpful :)

• That's tacky. 
  • imageMommyLuvsMe1210:

i think this is adorable!

You might want to take this down. You will get flamed to high hell for this. It's pretty tacky to ask a guest to bring both a gift and a book.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's tacky to dictate what your guests spend their money on and VERY gift grabby to ask for a 2nd gift on top of the one they are already getting you! Not cute at all.
  • whoops. my impression was that this person was asking for books FOR gifts. not both. i'd rather not DD, so let the flames come if they must.

it's just not how i read into this card. 

V|V TSP V|V
  • It clearly says to bring a book instead of a card.  I'm sure the registry info was given for the "real" gift.

Yeah, this is incredibly tacky.  No matter how you try to "cutesy" it up, it's still gift-grabby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • eav2ceav2c member
    In theory, I like the idea but in etiquette land it's a no-no. Regardless of if it was someone asking for books in replace of a gift OR a card...it's totally tacky to dictate or even really suggest "gimme this and that." With that said, when someone gets 10 Cat in the Hats that all have notes in them... What the eff happens then?? Pretty pointless when you start thinking logistics.
  • Totally tacky, and even tackier that they make such a huge deal of it.  BRING A BOOK probably couldn't be an any bigger font and still fit.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemommabear17:
    Totally tacky, and even tackier that they make such a huge deal of it.  BRING A BOOK probably couldn't be an any bigger font and still fit.

LOL.  I guess the thought is "why be subtle?"  If you're going to go tacky, go big or go home.

• imageeav2c:
    With that said, when someone gets 10 Cat in the Hats that all have notes in them... What the eff happens then??

I think the kid will be reciting Cat in the Hat by age 3!

• But it's not rude if you say it with a cute poem!!!
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• *eyeroll*

Sh!t like that annoys me to no end. 

• I don't think her "request" is obvious enough.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageeav2c:
    In theory, I like the idea but in etiquette land it's a no-no. Regardless of if it was someone asking for books in replace of a gift OR a card...it's totally tacky to dictate or even really suggest "gimme this and that." With that said, when someone gets 10 Cat in the Hats that all have notes in them... What the eff happens then?? Pretty pointless when you start thinking logistics.

LOL, simmer down eav2c, simmer down.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • eav2ceav2c member
    imageCarla6394:

imageeav2c:

LOL, simmer down eav2c, simmer down.

I am simmered. I'm just honestly wondering what you do with 10 of the same books with personalized notes. Nothing to see here, now move along........

• imagebenandemilyb:

Ok, I did something similar to this for my SIL's shower a few months ago, and all the guests LOVED the idea!  I didn't say to put a note in it though.

Maybe it's just that everyone around here loves books.  I don't know.

Anyways, I don't think it's tacky.  And I don't see why everyone has to be so rude.

Which sounds more realistic? 

"Hey hostess---I love the shower!  It's awesome!  And the book instead of a card thing?  HOW SPECIAL! We never did anything like that when I was younger!"

vs

"Hey hostess---seriously...you want me to bring a book instead of a card?  Do you know how tacky that is?  I mean, come on...I've dropped nearly $100 on a present and now you want me to go out and spend another $10 for a book ?  I mean, I did it because I didn't want to be the b!tch that doesn't 'participate' but I mean, come on, we would have never done something so tacky when I was your age.  Maybe I'll bring a book instead of a card to your next birthday.  I'm assuming you don't already have a copy of Emily Post, so I'll bring that one."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Little Man (4 years old---holy cow)
    He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imagebenandemilyb:

I'm sorry.  I really don't see how I deserved either of those extremely rude comments.

I did read the other comments, thank you.  Gosh... would y'all be this rude to me in person? Really?

Just because someone didn't like the idea doesn't mean they have to tell me.  They also don't have to tell me they loved it... but they did.  So get over yourself.

If you were my friend, I would have warned you that some people find those requests tacky and I would not have had to tell you after the fact that people probably rolled their eyes.  Why? Because I love my friends enough to tell them when they have spinach in their teeth, tp on their shoes, their breath stinks or when they are holding a charity fundraiser instead of a shower. 

He's the single greatest thing I've done in my life and reminds me daily of how fun (and funny) life can be.  He's turned out pretty swell for having such a heartless and evil mother.  
  • imagebenandemilyb:

Ok, I did something similar to this for my SIL's shower a few months ago, and all the guests LOVED the idea!  I didn't say to put a note in it though.

Anyways, I don't think it's tacky.  And I don't see why everyone has to be so rude.

It's obvious that you "don't know", so that was superfluous.

Yup, we all hate books.  We never read to our kids, and frankly, I'm hoping my daughter never develops an interest in books at all.  We're just starting her on the Xbox really early.

Noobs.Sleep

Hey where's that other chick to tell us how pathetic we are?  I mean, we're not pregnant so we can't have any decent advice to give.

• imageCranang:

It's obvious that you "don't know", so that was superfluous.

Yup, we all hate books.  We never read to our kids, and frankly, I'm hoping my daughter never develops an interest in books at all.  We're just starting her on the Xbox really early.

Noobs.Sleep

Hey where's that other chick to tell us how pathetic we are?  I mean, we're not pregnant so we can't have any decent advice to give.

I just want him to feel special when he has to ask for a picture menu at the McDonalds! 

• imagebenandemilyb:

I guess everyone 'around here' just wants illiterate children.  Who needs to read when you have tv? 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"