Special Needs
Options

Books written by individuals with ASD or parents of kids with Dx

Hi!

I recently posted here as we were going through a very tragic time with our (now angel) son Isaac. I am a social worker who works with individuals (age 5-21) with an autism Dx.  I have completed all my course work, clinical hours, and supervision to sit for my BCBA.

I am interested in reading some books written by parents of kiddos on the spectrum or by individuals on the spectrum.  I have read Jenny McCarthy's books and was not a huge fan.  I read Look Me In The Eyes and House Rules (by Jodi Picoult).  

I am looking for other suggestions for books to read. Not so much with parenting or professional recommendations but more about the journey they live on a daily basis.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Books written by individuals with ASD or parents of kids with Dx

• Options

I liked this book :

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Asperger-Syndrome-Related-Disorders/dp/1931282420

Written by a mom with very practical info. 

• Options

I'm so sorry about your loss:( 

I read "I Wish I Were Engulfed in Flames" by Jeni Decker; I found it to be honest but her humor was quite caustic. I just read " Dancing with Max" by Emily Colson by it has very heavy religious tones that just didn't work for me. "The Journal of Best Practices" by David Finch was funny and honest, but is not about parenting but marriage.

A very raw and beautifully written book about special needs parenting was "The Boy in the Moon" by Ian Brown. It is not about ASD (the author's child has a rare genetic condition), but it is worth reading.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. The Jenny books I read while in college. I know that he was misdiagnosed and that all his services did not "cure his autism."  As far as the Jodi Picoult book, I just enjoy her as an author and found the book a good read.  I am looking to keep distracted lately and I tend to get involved in a good book pretty easily esp when it is related to the population I love. I will certainly check these books out at the library!
  • Options
    image-auntie-:

I enjoy a good Picoult book from time to time, but I find I often forget I've read them and end up getting about 20 pages in before realizing it. DS especially liked the Amish set one for all the inaccuracies around the trains featured in the story- but that's an Asperger thing.

One caution around Grandin is that her glitches with theory of mind cause her to sometimes take the angle that she's speaking for others with an ASD when she can't. I have spent the last 11 years trying to convince teachers- who know a little about autism- that not all autists think in pictures. Make me crazy.

Have you checked out the Nest bookclub? I lurk there for suggestions when I want to read something unrelated to ASDs.

Ditto this. Also, check out Goodreads. I read obsessively and get a ton of recommendations there, and also track books I want to read and have read on this site. It's great! P.S. I hate Picoult but will still probably read House Rules.

• Options
    Jodi Picoult's House Rules left me feeling very meh.  Was Catherine Maurice included in your course work?  If not, then I will recommend her memoir, Let Me Hear Your Voice.  I wish I could find this great essay I read a few years back written by Noah's brother.  Noah is the child discussed in A Child Called Noah.  Noah wasn't like Maurice's children-- he remained severely affected.  I haven't read the books, but they are older and well known.
  • Options

imagekyethra:
    Jodi Picoult's House Rules left me feeling very meh.  Was Catherine Maurice included in your course work?  If not, then I will recommend her memoir, Let Me Hear Your Voice.  I wish I could find this great essay I read a few years back written by Noah's brother.  Noah is the child discussed in A Child Called Noah.  Noah wasn't like Maurice's children-- he remained severely affected.  I haven't read the books, but they are older and well known.

https://www.amazon.com/Child-Called-Noah-Family-Journey/dp/0156168626

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"