Military Families

breastfeeding in uniform

Re: breastfeeding in uniform

• I don't think there is anything wrong with breast feeding while in uniform, however, I'd keep myself covered up, the same way I intend to do any other time. I have a feeling a lot less people would find it as an insult to the uniform if they had a simple nursing cover on... it's not difficult to cover up, and I think with most people it's not the idea of feeding a baby that creeps them out, it's a women's bare breasts hanging out in plain view. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with PP.  There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding whether in uniform or out, but use a cover up.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • It's not even the fact that they didn't over up. I couldn't care less. What bothers me is that they felt they had to make a statement and wear their uniform to prove their point. This only feeds into the breast feeding vs. non breast feeding mommy war and the whole thing is ridiculous. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    It's not even the fact that they didn't over up. I couldn't care less. What bothers me is that they felt they had to make a statement and wear their uniform to prove their point. This only feeds into the breast feeding vs. non breast feeding mommy war and the whole thing is ridiculous. 
    I disagree. I feel as though wearing the uniform shows that women in the military can and are mothers as well as Soldiers/Airmen/Seamen and breastfeeding is not a shameful act that should be hidden or covered up. I applaud these women. 
  • imageArmyQM:
    imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    It's not even the fact that they didn't over up. I couldn't care less. What bothers me is that they felt they had to make a statement and wear their uniform to prove their point. This only feeds into the breast feeding vs. non breast feeding mommy war and the whole thing is ridiculous. 
    I disagree. I feel as though wearing the uniform shows that women in the military can and are mothers as well as Soldiers/Airmen/Seamen and breastfeeding is not a shameful act that should be hidden or covered up. I applaud these women. 

I agree that it is not shameful nor needs to be covered up but I guess I just don't understand why they feel they need to prove their point.  But I also hated the time magazine cover so this may be a UO. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

imageArmyQM:
    imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:

I agree that it is not shameful nor needs to be covered up but I guess I just don't understand why they feel they need to prove their point.  But I also hated the time magazine cover so this may be a UO. 

I agree I have no problem with bf. I did it for a year, but I think it is polite to cover up because some people feel uncomfotable. I don't want to see other peoples boobs on the beach in cancun or with a child feeding. Again my UP opinion. More about modesty not a bf debate.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekelizabeth073:
    I don't think there is anything wrong with breast feeding while in uniform, however, I'd keep myself covered up, the same way I intend to do any other time. I have a feeling a lot less people would find it as an insult to the uniform if they had a simple nursing cover on... it's not difficult to cover up, and I think with most people it's not the idea of feeding a baby that creeps them out, it's a women's bare breasts hanging out in plain view. 

I couldn't agree more. Call me old fashioned, but I have always practiced modesty and would not want to expose my breast to the world. BFing is a beautiful and intimate thing that shouldn't have to be shared with the rest of the world. Yes, BF in public all you want but use a cover up. Really, the woman on the Time cover and these two ladies in uniform probably wouldn't get so much flack if their bare breasts weren't exposed. Its just for the shock factor which completely takes away from the beauty of a woman feeding her baby.

• imageLexiLupin:

I'm actually going to disagree with PPs- I don't think a woman in uniform should be breastfeeding in an open public place, covered up or no. It's not something that would particularly bother me if I saw it, but might get a raised brow because: 

There is no plausible explanation for exactly WHY a woman in uniform would have a young child with her, while working. If she isn't working and plans to go out with her breastfeeding child, she should change first, and if for some reason she can't, pump and bottle feed. If she can't do that, find a bathroom or designated nursing area and nurse privately.

There are standards of appearance and professionalism that are expected of EVERY uniformed soldier; part of that is sacrificing certain civilian habits. A man or woman in uniform isn't allowed to hold hands; hug; kiss; walk and talk on a cell phone. There's nothing wrong with any of those things, but they stop when the uniform goes on, even if the work day is over. It just strikes me that it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a woman to foresee complications with breastfeeding and plan ahead, like any other working mom would presumably have to do.

exactly this 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageExpectantSteelerFan:
    I was surprised by dh's reaction when I asked him...he doesn't think a woman should bf in public in uniform, but he also said he doesn't think a woman should bottle feed a baby in public in uniform.  He said it went against his view of the military, and that if a woman found herself in a situation where she would still be in uniform and around her baby that needed fed (couldn't really think of many situations where this would happen), she should remove herself from the public eye soas not to confuse the image of the military.  Not sure I agree with him, but I thought it was interesting, esp. since he's really open minded about most things.

DH said almost the same thing. He said that soldiers wear uniforms for a reason, so that they are all the same. You do not have a separate identity apart from being a soldier once you put on that uniform which includes being a mother, husband, wife, or father.

I know that when he is in uniform we aren't allowed to embrace each other especially if we are on post. If a married couple is not allowed to hug or kiss each other than BFing your child should not be allowed either. Just a little food for thought.

• I see people with more boob exposed while running errands.  Nursing in public, with or without a cover, doesn't bother me.  In a professional setting, I would choose to use a cover.  18 year old guys (and even some girls) probably have not matured enough to distinguish breasts for feeding babies vs. "being flashed by a co-worker or boss."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • I really don't see what the big deal is. I, for one, will not hide in a bathroom because someone else is uncomfortable with me feeding my child. I most definitely will not pump and feed my child from a bottle just to appease someone else's discomfort (and possibly confusing my child with different nipples). For my own comfort, I usually do try to cover up and while they are younger, it works. When they get to the age when they don't want anything over their head or living in a state like here where it's gets too hot, I will not make my child uncomfortable to make others comfortable.

The fact that they are in uniform really makes no difference to me as babies don't see uniforms and they still need to eat. I applaud these women for taking a stance on one of the most ridiculous views in this country. Instead of sending a woman to a stall to feed her child, I think people need to get rid of the over sexualized views they have on breasts. I would love to see what some of these people would do if they go to certain parts of Africa where people are still walking around butt naked all day, everyday.

The uniform taking away the difference between men, women, husband, wife etc. is an issue of convenience as the military never has and probably never will, truly treat women as "equals" to men in the military. 

There are more breasts/skin and other body parts being seen so much more daily, whether on TV or in real life, but a woman feeding her child is an issue? As far as I'm concerned, if you don't want to see it, don't look.

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • imageLexiLupin:
    imageChynaDholl:

I really don't see what the big deal is. I, for one, will not hide in a bathroom because someone else is uncomfortable with me feeding my child. I most definitely will not pump and feed my child from a bottle just to appease someone else's discomfort (and possibly confusing my child with different nipples). For my own comfort, I usually do try to cover up and while they are younger, it works. When they get to the age when they don't want anything over their head or living in a state like here where it's gets too hot, I will not make my child uncomfortable to make others comfortable.

If a woman in the military has gone back to work (someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I am NOT in the military and do not know any pregnant soldiers), she's probably working roughly 12 hour days from PT to the end of the shift. If she's breastfeeding, she's already pumping and having her child bottle-fed to accommodate that schedule.

imageChynaDholl:
    The uniform taking away the difference between men, women, husband, wife etc. is an issue of convenience as the military never has and probably never will, truly treat women as "equals" to men in the military.

Be that as it may (or not), part of being a soldier is shelving your civilian life while working. That's all. It's not about modesty, or sexualizing breastfeeding, it's about that separation that is demanded of EVERY uniformed soldier, on duty or off. You are in uniform, you are the public face of the US military. And that public face simply does not involve intimate and personal aspects of family.

This is exactly how I feel. Well said.

BFP 4/4/12 CP 4/10/12

9/20/2013 Came home with our little miracle from the Philippines

11/26/2013 Surprise!!! BFP!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageLexiLupin:

Be that as it may (or not), part of being a soldier is shelving your civilian life while working. That's all. It's not about modesty, or sexualizing breastfeeding, it's about that separation that is demanded of EVERY uniformed soldier, on duty or off. You are in uniform, you are the public face of the US military. And that public face simply does not involve intimate and personal aspects of family.

Exactly. There is no reason to be breastfeeding in public in uniform. If you're picking up your child from day care and need to knock it out then, go into the bath room. I plan on breastfeeding, I'm also in the Navy. I will not breastfeed my child in public while in uniform. I just don't see the need for added attention. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLexiLupin:

It just strikes me that it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a woman to foresee complications with breastfeeding and plan ahead, like any other working mom would presumably have to do.

I couldn't agree more with the above statement. I'm a civilian, but in a profession where it is not feasable for me to breastfeed or pump during my work day (which is 12-18 hours)  .  I have had to stop BF both my kids at 8 weeks so by the time I go to work at 10-12 weeks they could take bottles well and are used to formula.  Its just something I had to plan for and accept with my job - a job I had before I got pregnant. 

• imageamazing88:
    imageLexiLupin:

Exactly. There is no reason to be breastfeeding in public in uniform. If you're picking up your child from day care and need to knock it out then, go into the bath room. I plan on breastfeeding, I'm also in the Navy. I will not breastfeed my child in public while in uniform. I just don't see the need for added attention. 

I will not breastfeed my child in a bathroom. Tell me the last time you ate in a bathroom and how much you enjoyed it. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • wow. this is going to be a rant annnnd i dont care.

first of all, if you are a civilian military spouse and are against this. do me a favor and shut up.

I have served in deployments that tooks my thousands of miles away from my family, i have won numerous awards and earned every damn promotion that i got. i wear my uniform with pride and i am proud to serve this great country.

Just because I am a mother doesnt make me any less of an soldier,airmen,marine or seaman. In fact, it makes me incredible. It took a lot of guts to do what those women did and i applaude them for it. if you are "uncomfortable" with a woman feeding her child then you need to reevaluate your own life.

we let our children and we ourselves play violent video game and watch garbage on television, but this offends you? please.

get over it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PitaPata Dog tickers Photobucket
  • imagetdc2012:

wow. this is going to be a rant annnnd i dont care.

first of all, if you are a civilian military spouse and are against this. do me a favor and shut up.

I have served in deployments that tooks my thousands of miles away from my family, i have won numerous awards and earned every damn promotion that i got. i wear my uniform with pride and i am proud to serve this great country.

Just because I am a mother doesnt make me any less of an soldier,airmen,marine or seaman. In fact, it makes me incredible. It took a lot of guts to do what those women did and i applaude them for it. if you are "uncomfortable" with a woman feeding her child then you need to reevaluate your own life.

we let our children and we ourselves play violent video game and watch garbage on television, but this offends you? please.

get over it.

*snort* 

Okay. 

CJ 05/29/2013

• Me being AD and a soon to be breastfeeder, I feel these pictures are innapropriate. Being in the military you don't have the same freedom as everyone else. There is nothing wrong with breastfeeding in uniform, but it should be done in private. Where I work we have places to feed and pump and I have friends at other commands that have the same luxuries so I'm sure they do, especially if they're in the Air Force (no offense). We are soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen and should conduct ourselves as such. We are not to do things for the purpose of political gain, which I feel was the purpose of these pictures. If these women had time and opportunity to sit in a park and take pictures with their shirts pulled up, then I'm sure they could have found somewhere to pump or feed in private. From what I remember we are always supposed to display full military bearing while in uniform and these pictures are not doing that.

• imageAsheley77:
    imageamazing88:
    imageLexiLupin:

I will not breastfeed my child in a bathroom. Tell me the last time you ate in a bathroom and how much you enjoyed it. 

Took the words right out of my mouth.

No woman should ever be required to feed her child in the same room people use to defecate. Period. That's a ridiculous thing to suggest.

That said, I do think that there is a line of professionalism that is violated with photos such as the one in the article. I believe that there are certain times and certain circumstances that may require a woman to BF her child before she has a chance to change her clothes. She cannot and should not be punished for that....but she should be discreet and use a cover. Its a give and take.These circumstances are so rare that heated discussion regarding the matter is unnecessary. How often will a female service member have her infant out in public before she has a chance to change? 

Andplusalso, comparing BFing to PDA is nonsense. PDA is never actually necessary and no one will suffer if they have to wait until later for a smooch fest. A hungry infant, on the other hand, cannot be told to wait for food simply because his or her mother is still in uniform. 

• The only thing inappropriate is that the photos were allowed to be used in a campaign for promoting breastfeeding. A military member in uniform should not be posing for photos that will be used in any type of political manner. 

As far as the previous poster stating that a woman in uniform should not have their small children around them... well, it happens. Not everyone works 12 hour days. I was in uniform and fed my child before dropping them off at daycare. I went to the daycare on post to feed during my lunch, and often during breaks at work. I would feed at the end of the day before I picked up my baby. Sometimes my husband (also in uniform!) would bring my baby by to see me in my office during the work day. It's not a huge deal- and especially in my line of work, which is Nursing- it's encouraged. I was not going to change every single time I needed to feed my baby.

• imagebazeyjane:

Came across this article apparently its stirring up some controversy, what do you ladies think?

https://moms.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/30/11955844-military-mom-proud-of-breast-feeding-in-uniform-despite-criticism?lite

This is ABSOLUTELY ABSURD!!!!!  Breastfeeding is a NATURAL thing.  Why the hell shouldn't service women breastfeed in uniform?  Are they really expected to take cover when feeding their baby.  It's not like they're flashing or taking sexual photos.....breastfeeding is something to be PROUD of.  The military (I'm the wife of a marine) needs to lighten up.....this enrages me.  Babies get hungry and women can't control when/where....and if people have a problem then they should look away......PERIOD. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"